2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

OMR

Dwave, fb, Keen, Brew:  Thanks.  There was something the Dr. said, about how my symptoms aren't as "classic" as he would like, that makes me think it's more likely to be a replacement, not a repair.

Dwave:  So do they have pool-running marathons?  Perhaps that could be where I turn...and if anyone were to know this information, I would think it would be you!  ;-)

Brew:  I was surprised to not see 'brewing' in your list of hobbies.  And nice PB...was it followed up by a PBR?  (I hope not.)

Keen:  Good runs are never a fluke...just the bad ones.

ilana:  Laughed at your comment about rlk's youth.  I agree.

fb:  I was going to post a photo once, and it seemed more complicated than what I had time for, so I just bailed on the idea.  But I see you've figured it out, and are now posting sex toys, or recovery toys, or sex recovery toys.  And it's good to see you running so well.

rlk:  Are you in jeopardy?  Sorry to hear of your grandpa's passing.  I must have missed that.

Ace:  Yep, I've had those runs.  I always appreciated them, because sticking with it actually paid off once in a while.

e78:  Nice week.

RunnerJones:  I'll just caution you that if your hamstrings are too tight, they can start pulling on other things, and cause problems.  So, it's good to be a little proactive.  One of the stretches I do is to lie on my back on the floor, use a belt, towel or rope on one foot so that the leg is up in the air with a straight knee.  If you Google hamstring stretch, you'll probably find a ton.

max:  Got that RR done yet?  Are you going to do one?  I'm also curious about a comment you made to me after you finished, and exactly what that meant.  My guess is that you were just tired.

I ran once this week, on Tuesday I think, somewhere around 2 miles, no more than 400 meters at a time  If anyone is wondering how long it takes to regain all of the weight you lost since you started running 8 years ago, the answer is 8 weeks.  I am officially FAT.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

OMR - we can commiserate.  I'm fat, too.

Dwave - you said what we were all thinking as soon as we saw FB's picture!

Katia  - great tempo!  And yeah, you should work on that soft 5k pr.

Well done weekend racers.

I am happy to have gotten to 20mpw this week, woohoo.  Let's see if I can sustain it and then build.  Also went on a nice bike ride - I think it was Keen asking about the biking, I'm errand-biking around town a lot which I don't wear my Garmin for so it doesn't show up on Strava, but yesterday we did a bit on the trails and there was only a tiny bit of mud.

jaimegu

Hi, all:

Katia: No need to be angry to listen to metal... There are styles that are fun like glam/hair, there are others more epic like progressive, there are songs and styles in the virtuoso side, like neoclassical, gothic... For pacing a hard workout, thrash might be very good,  in other runs, it really depends on my mood

Oregon: I had to google that "polka metal" I rather pass on that one.

Dwave: I had a laugh at the sex toy.  Super workout on Saturday.

FB: Sometimes I had issues sleeping after a race or hard workout, but it's not common.

RLK: Please accept my condolences as well.

Ace:  The times I have to wake my legs up is either physical or mental fatigue... If I'm not in running mood, but force the run, it takes a while for my body to accept the fact.

E78:  You recovered quickly for a huge week

Brew:  Congrats on the PR

RJones: Although my team is a mid-table team in South America, I loosely follow Atletico de Madrid in Spain. Bummer on the race jacket.

No suggestions here for hamstrings.

OMR:  I hope you get the best outcome for that injury.

Ilana: Happy for your achievement. 20 miles + biking will help getting back on track.

SClever:  I had the total cholesterol high, once.  They treated it as regular high cholesterol, and gave me the prevention tip booklet.  No pills no restrictions, just lifestyle changes.

Me:  Introducing mid longs this week and until taper for Borington. BTW: Wave2, Corral 4

Not sure if should totally drop the tempos and favor GMP, what do you think?

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Mar 05, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 11, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
        Tue 6.3 7:41 Checking all systems... OK 0 strava
        Wed 12.0 7:50 Mid Long. Mom I think I got lost 183 strava
        Thu 6.3 7:13 6x400@1:29 total 10km 0 strava
        Thu 4.1 21:41 Un petit foot 0 strava
        Sat 6.8 8:07 Aller shopping retour 😜 144 strava
        Sun 18.9 7:59 MiniBoston avec Luc et la gang du coin 980 strava
          54.4 8:52   1307  
        mattw4jc

mattw: It always seems that race day is the warmest in a group of 14 days. Particularly B-town, which was great racing weather in 2016 and 2017 before and after the race!

Yep, I was at B-town last year and remember needing a jacket the day after because it was so much cooler. Luckily I had a new jacket to wear.

I just looked at the forecast for Sunday again. Now it shows 10 degrees cooler on both the high and low: 41 / 62. That sounds better.

Speed Surplus

Ilana - Congrats on 20 mpw! Feels good to get back into it, eh?

Brew - Congrats on the PR! Sub 20 is very close.

RLK - Haven't seen an RR but I saw your new PR on Strava. 

OMR - Brutal. I lost about 8 pounds almost immediately when I started running in 2012, but I have never been able to sustain a lower weight than that. And I can gain half/all of that back in about a week if I want.

My week - finally cracked 40 miles! For some reason I woke up at around 2am Sunday morning and couldn't get back to sleep until 6am. Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to running 14 miles. But the beautiful weather in Seattle helped and I dragged myself out there.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Tue 7.1 8:21 Gorgeous day. 142 289 strava
            Wed 5.3 8:58 Low energy treadmill 123 0 strava
            Thu 7.4 8:27 Bit more energy today 144 0 strava
            Fri 6.0 7:59 Ran last mile at gmp, not sure why 145 144 strava
            Sat 4.5 8:14 Nice day, easy run 140 217 strava
            Sun 13.2 8:32 Didn't sleep well but gutted it out 141 140 strava
            Sun 0.6 8:26 Couldn't face the hill today 133 0 strava
              44.1 8:26     790

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Jaime - four weeks out is about the point where I start mixing MP into the mix, but I don't put HMP behind me until the last couple of weeks.  I like doing multi-pace tempos and one of my favorite pre-marathon workouts is warmup, MP, optionally a few minutes easy, HMP, easy cool-down.  E.g. 2 easy, 3MP, 3min easy, 3HMP, easy home.

Clever - congrats on (more than) double my mark! :-)

Brew - ahem, it's 2018 now.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Katia - Nice back-to-back runs.

FB - Dryer balls on a stick?

Ace - I have those runs sometimes. Usually things get better after I let my mind wander for a while.
                Great week.

E11 - Good to see you around here again, and killer week. Nice journey long run, too! Thanks for the input on a HM before a full.

Brew - Nice job on the PR, even with an epic bonk. Looking forward to the RR and youtube link to the interview.

RJones - Good job running with your son, bummer about the jacket. 4:33 isn't slouching without training. How old is DS?

OMR - I like your attitude regarding good runs. I don't know that that thought had occured to be before.

Ilana - Glad you're getting back in to things like you are.

SClever - Good job on breaking through 40 miles.

RLK - Awesome job snagging that big PR!

Airpods - I've been seeing a lot of people use then on group LRs. Trekz Titanium are my go-to's for the rare occasions (almost only on the treadmill) I run with any type of auditory entertainment.

Rupp - Anyone catch the win in Rome?

I had a pretty good week, with two easy runs that just felt awesome and were much faster (at easy HR) than usual (149bpm cap on easy/Z2).
                The local running club did their LR almost entirely on the OKC Marathon/half marathon course this weekend. I took the opportunity to run the entire HM course; On many occasions I've run across all but a mile or so of it since it shares so much with the full course, but it was good to finally see all the differences. The LR was a little faster (~6 sec/mi) faster than called for in my training plan; this whole "LRs at not a slow pace" thing is still weird to me, halfway through my training plan.
                I have two sore toes; the two next to my pinkie on my right foot. They've bugged me a bit off and on the last week or so, but not usually when running. I didn't even notice it until after ~9 miles this morning. Maybe it's time to replace my shoes, my current pair have a little over 500 miles on them.

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Mar 05, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 11, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                Mon 11.3 7:24 Daniels' T. 2x 2mi, 2x 1 mi. 2 & 1 min recoveries. 158 (81%) strava
                Tue 4.1 8:02 Having to sneak in some miles. 142 (72%) strava
                Tue 6.3 7:56 If only there was some pithy way to describe why the wind always blows in Oklahoma. Maybe something involving Texas and Kansas... 155 (79%) strava
                Wed 9.3 7:53 3 ducks, 2 hawks, and the sunrise. 143 (73%) strava
                Thu 10.5 7:19 Daniels' R, 12x 200m + 6x 400m 151 (77%) strava
                Fri 9.3 7:48 3 owls, 1 duck, and some howling coyotes 143 (73%) strava
                Sat 4.1 8:11 Because why not extra easy miles? 136 (69%) strava
                Sun 13.4 7:46 Touring the OKC HM course, with an ultra-rare tail wind on Classen! 148 (76%) strava
                  68.3 7:43

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Either my post was eaten (which I hope not) or it just isn't showing up anymore. I just deleted the word document I wrote too. For those of you who have read my posts before you know the sadness I feel.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Either my post was eaten (which I hope not) or it just isn't showing up anymore. I just deleted the word document I wrote too. For those of you who have read my posts before you know the sadness I feel.

I think you put it in the 2017 thread.

Brew ~ Congrats on the PR.

CDR K ~ Very solid week.

Jamie ~ I’m a broken record, but I say touch all paces regularly. In this case, progressions from just over MP to just under HMP or a mix like Ilana suggests.

OMR ~ Yes, weight comes back shockingly fast.

RJ ~ Congrats to you and DS on RnRDC; bummer on jacket.

E78 ~ Going straight from winter to humidity would be awful. I think we should ‘spring forward’ during the workday on Monday!

Ace ~ That ‘takes a while to get going’ feeling is called ‘normal’ when you get older!

DkW ~ Another excellent LR. How slow/fast do you 'float' in the 25x400m workout?

FB ~ Same comment as DkW.

rlk ~ This is weird to write, but condolences and congratulations.

PJ ~ Zicam.

Katia ~ Yes, a good day.

SC ~ I'm no doctor (unfortunately DLS didn't make the migration from RWOL), but while raw numbers aren't necessarily bad (and some people are just naturally high), that trend doesn't look good.

Hey to everyone else.

My week:

M) 7.5

Tu) 7.5 w/ strides

W) 9 w/ 20 min Mona Fartlek

Th) 5

F) 5

Sa) 5 w/ strides (PJ got me sick over the internet)

Su) 7.5 w/ 5x80m sprints (~4:20 per mile pace) w/ full recovery

Total: 46.5

fb-guy

I think you put it in the 2017 thread.

Phew. If get this right, Brewing ran a PR last weekend took place in 2017. Is that right? Always confused.

OMR -- I really hope you are doing OK with all of this. Have you seen/had a reading of the MRI? Good luck with the next couple of steps in the process. and let us know how it goes. I've swum a couple of times when I was dealing with an injury (and I really hate swimming) and it was OK. Good exercise, good cardio. Calorie burn?

Keen -- that is hellofa week. Well done. When you cap your EZ run at 149 --- that' about 77% right? Is 77% a pretty usual range for an easy run? I a real wimp; it was thinking about 70%. haha. Vaseline on your toes?

Ilana -- 20. yay.

Clever -- nice on cracking 40, and doing the 14.

Barstow 2012 hit 91. Awful.

I have a knot in right calf that only hurst when I over-stride; I am thinking of it as a blessing.

Our dog (10 1/2 year old lab) needs help pacing. She's getting old and she goes out too fast, pulling on the leash the first half, and I need to drag her home when she gets tired. You'd think she would learn.

RunnerJones -- OMR called that one. If your quads are really tight, they can pull everything to the outside, mess up your alignment and make your knees hurt. At least it can happen to me.

Jaime -- are you training to a goal time for Botswana? Willing to share?

Me. I'm tired, so the four week glide to April 8 is well timed.

3.8@9:05

4.1@7:51

4.1@7:28

6.5@8:21

9.7@7:58

18.2@8:35

4.1@8:54

50.5@8:21 (A little slower than other weeks, but I had two recovery runs because of the timing of the rain). I'm in 14 weeks with a max of 56 miles an an average of 43.2. Really, this is better than I would have hoped. Now I need to bounce back and start to feel fresh again.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Lars is definely from Campbell, he works that into all his solo songs.  I don't know about the rest of them.

'03 Wapred tour--I think I had stopped going by then (too old!).  I did see the Murphys for St Patrick's up in that place where they're from.  We even went to the Bruins game beforehand and they hang out on the concourse between periods.

My dude, I saw rancid and dropkick murphys like 6 months ago. The crowd was just as old as me. It's fine. I considered going to warped this summer, but the lineup sucks. The only band I would like to see is reel big fish, which I have seen a dozen times at least. Not worth it.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

since I am here.... dropping my week:

M - 45min bike

T - 7 w/ 8x200R

W - SRD

T - 30min bike

F -  7 w/ 8x200R

S - 5 @ 9:00

S - 10.5 w/ 8 hard(@8:00 ish)

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

Katia77

DW - I know I'm not the only one that doesn't run great halves in prep for a full. In truth, to PR a half I think I'd have to taper, and I don't have the time for that atm.

Ilana - maybe after Botswana I'll target a 5K. Yay for 20 miles!!

FBGuy - I'm having a "better than I could have hoped" cycle, too.  Good feeling!

OMR - sorry about all the issues. I'm hoping it can be as non-invasive as possible, but also hoping for a quick resolution for you.  I'm trying to remember how long it took me to gain weight when I stopped running last.. maybe about 2 months as well?  I was trying to gain, but still... totally relate. It leaves you faster than it comes!

E78 - nice week!

Brew and RLK - nice PR!!

SC - yay for cracking 40.

CK - great week.. it's always nice when runs feel easier than expected - I enjoy those days Smile Sorry about the sore toes.. I got toe caps for my second toes on both feet, but no matter what I do I seem to lose toenails when I marathon train (and during the race).

FBguy -

Jamie - I think metal just isn't my thing Smile I keep doing tempos until the end.. I don't always do GMP runs, but I might this time (if I decide on a GMPish).,

Dad - hi and nice week Smile

Oregon - looks like you're getting back to it.

My week:

M: 5.8@8:46

T: 8.7@8:19

W: 5.3@8:58

Th: off

F: 5.7@7:20

Sat: 19.1@9:00

Sun: off

Total: 44.6

Some slower miles, but it was pretty intentional. I haven't run over 40 miles since training for NYCM in 2013, but I do feel really good all things considering.  I think I'm going to stick to 45ish this week, too, and then do one week of 50 before a taper (I've always done 3 week tapers).  Good thing I ran Saturday since I spent Saturday night with a toddler w/a tummy bug, and yesterday in bed with said toddler.  Going to run tonight and enjoy the lighter hours.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

FB - Thanks! 149 is 76% of my max HR (196), and about 70% of heart rate reserve. From all that I've read and based my HR training on "easy" maxes out at ~80% of straight HRmax and 70% HRR.
                                And it's not a blister or toe nailissue; they just get sore some - almost like a sore muscle. Weird.
                                Heading in to a taper just as you start getting tired seems like pretty good timing to me.

Katia - Nice week. How's the little one feeling now?

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: