2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

pepperjack

pie man

That broken arrow deal up at SV might be catching my eye.  Probably only be able to afford the vertical k though.  I should stop torturing myself with these things.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - This was the first year of the race, so I expected a few things to not be exactly as you'd expect from a race that is well established. The mile markers thing didn't bother me at all (and still would not have if I had been racing), but it was the only "off" thing I took notice of. I'd definitely say keep it on your list of possible races.

Legs felt heavy and without any pop at all during my run this morning. 1 sec/mi faster than the same course yesterday (same effort) but "low" was the only gear I had. No HRM issues today, which was a nice change of pace.

Jury duty on Monday! On the plus side, though, I'm discovering that Raspberry Pi projects are a ton of fun.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

sam is a runner! yay!!

one of my team coaches has said that sticking with the pack can be more beneficial than running 2 seconds behind them, even if their pace is sliiightly faster than yours should be. I think it's for the fun, positivity, staying engaged, and also just sticking to pace/workout plan since you are with a group and there is increased accountability. of course, i've also mentioned situations when my team races our workouts and then half of us burn out 3 months into the season. so ... grains of salt. i think dwave manages it well in a way we should all strive to - use the group benefit, adjust your own personal stuff (# of reps maybe) as needed to not kill it.

been skiing in CO for 6ish days and have run a total 8 sluggish miles in that timeframe! this is why i'll never do a spring marathon again Wink

it's been pretty warm the past 2-3 days and in a cycle of crusty/slushy.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

pj DO IT!!!

ace didn't you run Knoxville Marathon last year? Any post-race review I can re-read? Seems like it is this weekend so I'm looking over the course. 33F as a low seems cold, but that might match Mt. Charleston weather.

rlk Do you have a season pass to ski there and "South Lake"? My Mother in Law might travel to Colorado so if you have a pass I'd be curious to know how well it works with traveling. Hope you're having a blast. That post-ski run just SOUNDED horrible.

keen My HRM was CRAZY drunk on Tuesday. I'd LOVE to run 6:50/mi pace with a sub 150 heart rate for a full marathon, or even a half marathon. You ever tried any "heart rate" gel or vasoline to see if that helps?

Stealing from the sub 3 thread:

Marathon pacing: I've always gone for race pace from the start. For Mt. Charleston (I was just talking about this) I'm thinking I'll keep it slower than a 6:50 until 21 (flattens out) and maybe even slower than 6:55 since the goal is 7ish (whatever gets me in the 4/20/20 marathon) pace. I've always thought this is how people run marathons. Pick a goal, run race pace from the start, and adjust along the way (half, last 10K, final mile) so the concept of planning a pace for sections of a marathon seems foreign to me and I'd be curious to know how people plan it out. One RB (zero experience with marathons) said he would pretty much expect me to bank time at the start with the downhill. I told him I'd rather have something left in the tank for the final 5-6 miles instead of being 3+ minutes ahead then finishing over goal time. I think he said something like 6:50 pace but this was in reference to my 6 mile downhill run, and some other runs he did where he pretty much ran 5K effort and pace then said after it was faster than he planned. Dude "runs by feel" and seems to feel like running by what his instant pace tells him but also says his aerobic heart rate is 170...which was his 5K heart rate.

Yes I'm checking weather for Mt. Charleston already. Course runs downhill mostly W->E then heads south. The start might be the most worried I am because if it's 30F there and they kick me off the bus 30 minutes before race start I'll need to plan throw away clothes.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Now i'm looking at the Stanford tomorrow night and I'm trying to figure out if I can make that to spectate.

I guess what i'm trying to say is i'm bored.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- if she's gonna ski more than 3 days, worth looking into  some sort of multi-day ticket. definitely cheapest to book before arriving. the one i have is geared towards at least several days per season and yes has flexibility across Vail-owned resorts (heavenly kwood northstar in Tahoe, several in CO, Utah, British Columbia, etc etc) but it's not the time of year to make that investment ...

i tried a pre ski run today and it was just as bad! blah blah altitude uphill blah blah. tshirt weather though.

pj- too far! yikes. fun meet going on at same time (intended for people who don't get into stanford) - sf state invitational, it's in east bay this year. i did it last year and got my mile PR!

pepperjack

pie man

Well, i'd be making a weekend of it if I went.  There's a lot to the south i've never seen.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

south bay? or further south

AceHarris

Brew: here’s my RR from Knoxville last year.

https://tnrun.blogspot.com/2018/03/2018-knoxville-marathon.html?m=1

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I haven't tried any of those gels, but I always wet the strap down before putting it on. I switched to a different sensor (how'd I get so many of these??) and haven't had any static issues with it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - I haven't tried any of those gels, but I always wet the strap down before putting it on. I switched to a different sensor (how'd I get so many of these??) and haven't had any static issues with it.

Good thing you have all that money from work to spend on health (running entries) activities. Also a good thing you're not running marathons because you switched to ultra marathons this year. 26 miles at easy pace with free water and snacks don't deserve a medal.

rlk Palo Alto is too far south?!?!?! Didn't you drive ride an hour last year for a 5K in some farm town? Palo Alto is like 20 minutes away. Also, I LOL'd when you said "south bay, or furthur south" just because of how focused people in the state get about where they live. As if they're amazed to learn you can go from lower than sea level to the highest point in the lower 48 in just a few hours.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

So, I got out in the field today (finally!) and i'm not going to head anywhere as a result.  Although, traffic looks suspiciously light, so I think I could probably just make it for the women's 10,000 which is the main reason I'd go.  And then I was picking out running routes in Monterey for Saturday, to answer the how far south question.

But now I think i'm going to Sac tomorrow instead.  And then on to somewhere else Sunday night.  Maybe push east.  Got to find a place to do a long run.  Maybe the WS course?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have a friend in Monterey right now.

Maybe hit up Sac city College. Wasn’t there some stuff done there back in the day that was impressive, or did you hit that track already? Track 7 in Sac doesn’t suck.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Would up in Reno.  Waves.

Ran up to the golf course where I did TAC nationals several decades ago.  Didn’t look that much different.  Probably go donate a dollar to old the Bally’s where we stayed.  The nostalgia tour rolls on...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Would up in Reno.  Waves.

Ran up to the golf course where I did TAC nationals several decades ago.  Didn’t look that much different.  Probably go donate a dollar to old the Bally’s where we stayed.  The nostalgia tour rolls on...

The only thing I can contribute to this conversation is a recommendation for a Tex-Mex place in Sacramento.....

My week: 58 miles, 16 "miles of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming.

M: Yoga and 8 "miles of pool-running.
                                T: 12 miles, including 2x800, 1600, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:07, 3:02, 6:06, 2:58, 2:57, 39 and 38.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                                W: 8 miles very easy (9:21), yoga, then another 4 miles very easy (8:51) plus drills/strides
                                Th: upper body strength/core and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                                F: 12 miles, including 6400m (~4 miles) tempo on the track in 25:34 (6:29/6:26/6:21/6:18).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                                Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:37) plus drills/strides and then upper body strength/core plus some DIY yoga.
                                Su: 12 miles progressive, with the first 4 miles averaging 8:52, next 4 averaging 7:27, last 4 averaging 6:57.  Followed with very light leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Windy all week, with a solid headwind for the last miles of my Sunday run (that 6:57 was marathon effort).  Thought of Brew.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.