whitney houston (Read 1019 times)

without a doubt one of the greatest & most beautiful female vocalist of all time, gone at 48.    We are all probably thinking the same thing as for the cause of her death.    When she was in her prime before Bobby Brown & drugs no one could come close.  very sad

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Even if she didn't OD, all the damage she likely did to her heart from all the years of living hard may very well have caught up with her.  It seems like nearly half of her live was a life of unhappiness and drug battles.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Man in Tights

What a tragedy! The original in the same class as Aretha Franklin and Ella Fitzgerald. Godspeed Witney

Bugs

Terrible. It feels so unfair. I want to blame someone, but seems likely drugs. I find myself feeling much different than when Michael Jackson died.

Bugs

just finished watching some videos of Whitney.    incredible,  absolutely flawless in her voice and presence.    this one is hitting home very hard for some reason.

Queen of 3rd Place

Sad

Great voice. 

Ex runner

Man in Tights

You know running  keeps us from away from the lure of drugs and other ways of self destructing. Wonder why therapists don't suggest it as a way coping with life's trials and tribulations. 

Kalsarikännit

You know running  keeps us from away from the lure of drugs and other ways of self destructing. Wonder why therapists don't suggest it as a way coping with life's trials and tribulations. 

Because a good percentage of non-runners consider running to be self destructive?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

BeeRunB

Great voice long ago. The most sad part is not her dying--that's inevitable for all of us, and when it's your time it's your time---but the wasting of her voice and career from drugs and alcohol (not saying that's why she died, we don't know how). At 48, her voice should have been beautiful, strong, and rich---matured in a way that would bring her far beyond how she sang when she was younger. Let alone the fact that experience and emotional development add depth to someone's singing and performance. It's a reminder to me not to waste my own potential. I'm grateful for the creations she left behind. Her first record is one of the great debut albums--ever--in any genre of music. Filled with glorious, alive singing that filled my soul with delight. And the studio tape to which she lip-synched at the Super Bowl was one of the great performances of the national anthem. Very few pass this way that can sing like that. 

Feeling the growl again

Because a good percentage of non-runners consider running to be self destructive?

Yup.

As for Whitney Houston, I consider it a sad waste and I feel for her family.  However, a tragedy is the young firefighter near here who was rear-ended by a woman yapping on her cellphone as he pulled into his own driveway...his pregnant wife hearing the crash and being the first on the scene to find him dead.  

Fortunately I've never personally known the power of destructive addictions, but I do feel it is a lot more tragic for someone to be taken at a young age through no action of their own than in a situation where, at some level, they made choices that led to an end that could have been avoided.  

Of course, they haven't said what caused her death, so it could be a real tragedy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

And the studio tape to which she lip-synched at the Super Bowl was one of the great performances of the national anthem. 

a lot of people claim that was the best super bowl version.  which of course it can't be because she wasn't actually singing.  however, after 2011 I think we'll see more lip-synching.  It's just not worth the risk of forgetting the words for most people.  

Maggie & Molly

Yup.

As for Whitney Houston, I consider it a sad waste and I feel for her family.  However, a tragedy is the young firefighter near here who was rear-ended by a woman yapping on her cellphone as he pulled into his own driveway...his pregnant wife hearing the crash and being the first on the scene to find him dead.  

Fortunately I've never personally known the power of destructive addictions, but I do feel it is a lot more tragic for someone to be taken at a young age through no action of their own than in a situation where, at some level, they made choices that led to an end that could have been avoided.  

Of course, they haven't said what caused her death, so it could be a real tragedy.

this is how I feel.  It is sad, naturally, that a woman at 48 yrs old has died. I would guess that at the same time that she died hundreds of other drug addicts lost their battle too - that is not in the news  A  tragedy is the two small boys who were brutally murdered by their father.  That news story lasted about a day.  I wonder how long this will be talked about.   

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

BeeRunB

a lot of people claim that was the best super bowl version.  which of course it can't be because she wasn't actually singing.  however, after 2011 I think we'll see more lip-synching.  It's just not worth the risk of forgetting the words for most people.  

Tape or not, it moved people. It's still a performance, it's still her--and it was a great lip-synching performance. And just like on American Bandstand, when we saw our favorite pop groups lip-synching to their records  or Marni Nixon overdubbing her singing over Audrey Hepburn's performance in My Fair Lady, do we really care as long as we were entertained, feel something and it made us happy?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yeah, so much talent just wasted. I'm with Zoom; if it wasn't drugs directly, it was long term damage from drugs. 

A bit off topic, but look at Mick Jagger. He runs something like 5 miles a day. (The media made a big deal about it when the Stones were here, bc he still went out to run. It was summer so it's not like it was cold anyway).  Obviously it works for him. Lots of energy.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Queen of 3rd Place

I saw the Stones in oh, 81 or 82 (at the time I thought they were OOOOOLD - heh), and Mick spent what seemed like the entire concert running along catwalks, I was stunned. How could someone keep running for 2 hours?? Smile

Ex runner