Sooo....Texans are domineering. (Read 1020 times)

The dj's on the local morning radio show were reading a list of tips for people visiting the U.S. from other countries. The list included things like: how to tip in a restaurant, what to bring to a dinner party, etc. Then there was this one: watch out in Texas, because the people there have a domineering attitude. So.....are we really that bad? I've heard rumors, but I think we're nice. Smile

the way you use up something like 10% of the area in the lower 48 states is just down right piggy. 

Oh....that. Well, that's all ours.

jfa

Well, that's all ours.

There's your answer right there.

There's your answer right there.

Well, it didn't just fall into our laps, you know! Wink
              watch out in Texas, because the people there have a domineering attitude. 

maybe it's J.R.'s bad?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Why is it sideways?

Well, it didn't just fall into our laps, you know! Wink

True, it was annexed through an act of aggression against Mexico, primarily so that the Southern states could have a new territory in which to practice slavery (which was illegal in Mexico.)

It was this act of aggression by the U.S. that led Thoreau to write his famous essay on Civil Disobedience. Both Abraham Lincoln and John Quincy Adams opposed the war, characterizing it as a hostile act against a friendly neighbor and an bald attempt to expand the practice of slavery.

(A strong case can be made that the annexation of Texas was the primary precipitating event of the Civil War... as it showed the extent to which the South's insistence on slavery could drive the country away from its founding principles as a country committed to non-aggression.)

You have me there, Jeff. But cut me some slack...I wasn't born yet!

Why is it sideways?

You have me there, Jeff. But cut me some slack...I wasn't born yet!

Ha, well of course none of that is meant to impugn present day Texans. On the other hand, the idea that Texans may be domineering has a basis in the real history of the state.

I lived in Texas for a year. None of my exes live in Texas.

L Train

I recently learned that Maine is the "grayest" state in the country.  This makes sense because in my experience old people love the cold and snow. 

Menace to Sobriety

Then there was this one: watch out in Texas, because the people there have a domineering attitude.  

Overcompensation, same reason they wear the big boots and hats.Wink

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

True, it was annexed through an act of aggression against Mexico, primarily so that the Southern states could have a new territory in which to practice slavery (which was illegal in Mexico.)

It was this act of aggression by the U.S. that led Thoreau to write his famous essay on Civil Disobedience. Both Abraham Lincoln and John Quincy Adams opposed the war, characterizing it as a hostile act against a friendly neighbor and an bald attempt to expand the practice of slavery.

(A strong case can be made that the annexation of Texas was the primary precipitating event of the Civil War... as it showed the extent to which the South's insistence on slavery could drive the country away from its founding principles as a country committed to non-aggression.)

Yeah, but Santa Ana was a fucker.

(at least that's what I remember from 7th grade Texas History... a mandatory class filled with allllll kinds of revisionist history)

My cousin and her friend used to stare at the picture of Santa Ana in their Texas History books and talk about how CUTE he was.
                            xor

My cousin and her friend used to stare at the picture of Santa Ana in their Texas History books and talk about how CUTE he was.

My comment was a two-level joke.

One, we were all brain washed that he WAS EEEEEEVIL.

Two, he was a legendary womanizer... one (now debunked) legend we all heard about San HAAAAcinto was this (from wiki): "It was well known that when on campaign, Santa Anna would send aides to round up the prettiest women for his pleasure. According to legend, he was "entertaining" a mulatto woman named Emily Morgan at the time of opening salvo. A song titled "The Yellow Rose of Texas" was later written about Emily Morgan's role in the battle. No primary source evidence corroborates this story, however, and it is now dismissed by historians."

My dad wanted me to be a history buff like he is. Sigh....I'm not.