Too much data? (Read 129 times)

Verbify

My insurance gives me points toward free stuff or cheaper premiums if I connect certain apps to its app. As a result I have Fitbit, Runkeeper, and MyFitnessPal. They all share different stuff, which is fine. In short, I have a lot of data about my runs and heart rate. Since I’m a beginner, the timed intervals in Runkeeper are nice and the heart rate via Fitbit in interesting, but I’m honestly not sure what to do with all this data I get at the end. Part of me says to just ignore all of it and listen to my body. I’m having fun and enjoy the empty mind I get running. I don’t want to over-analyze everything. Not being sure if the numbers are good, bad, or just interesting leaves me wondering. If there are one or two data points that I probably should be paying the most attention to, I’d appreciate some insight. Thanks in advance. 

an amazing likeness

Listen to the part of you that wants to ignore most of it. Just run but let the data accumulate while you ignore most of it.  Is it for trends.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

T Hound

Slower but happier

If the tech is not working I rely on effort.  When it is working it pretty well matches effort.  So I’m watching pace, heart rate and effort.  But in the end effort is the most important.  So the other two are just for my insecurity and curiosity.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

paul2432

Resting heart rate when you first wake up is useful to track.  Getting lower is usually a sign of improved fitness.  Rising is a sign of needing added rest or easy days.

How you use the data beyond that depends a lot on your running goals and where you are in your running career. Someone just starting out will make big gains almost no matter what.  Someone trying wring to the last bit of potential out of themselves will need need to dial in their training much more (which will require closer attention to all the various metrics)

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Listen to the part of you that wants to ignore most of it. Just run but let the data accumulate while you ignore most of it.  Is it for trends.

I agree. I’m a runner of 24 years and locally competitive among the women and recently when I coached a half marathon training group, I was getting flack from people because I’ve changed to an Apple Watch and all I use is the Workout program. I gave up a lot of metrics and data tracking that I got from different watches like elevation and cadence but you know what? I never used it. It didn’t really make me a better runner (I’m actually almost as fast as I used to be on far less miles per week). I don’t miss it. And most people who “can’t live without” all this data crap wont beat me in a race, lol. For most of my running career I relied on a Timex. I’m very good at pacing by feel which I feel is lost on many modern runners who’ve become completely dependent on a pace readout on their GPS watch. Which is not to say I don’t use that feature but I don’t rely on it, and I still use a Timex for interval workouts. My advice is to stay pretty basic and learn to run well without reliance on a gadget and a constant stream of technological feedback.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

davepete57

I used to be a data whore. I had my Garmin, Strava, etc. I ended up feeling that the data was controlling what I was doing instead of my body controlling what was going on. I've backed out of almost everything and consciously do not look at any date during my runs. The amazing thing is that I have actually gotten faster if I ignore the data. Listening to my body has shave over a minute  off my pace.

roman_the_runner

Run, boy, run

Well, if you don't want to analyze all the data, and I assume was totally fine without it, why start doing it? It is very inaccurate anyways, especially heart rate.

I suggest to look it over once a week to see where you had downs in performance, because you can not always feel it while training.