Hanging running clothes to dry (Read 769 times)

sugnim

I just read in another thread that you should hang your running clothes to prevent them from prematurely wearing out.  Do you hang your running clothes to dry?  I do in the warmer months, and we have a nice clothesline near the cherry trees so everything smells sweet when clothes are out drying during the summer.  But, if I put my clothes out to dry in the winter, they would likely freeze into a solid sheet, so I toss them into the drier on low.  How do you hang them to dry in the winter?  (Side note: we do not have a shower door or shower curtain rod over which to hang clothes, only a tub.)  Thanks for your thoughts!

xor

I have never heard that hanging them helps them not prematurely wear out.  I DO try to hang up stuff because that helps greatly in retarding the development of permastink.

I would never ever ever ever ever toss them in the dryer after a run.  NO. WAY.

(and even after I sent them through the washer with soap, I only put some of the items in the dryer)

Wait: I think you are talking about how to dry them after washing them.  Yes, I hang up most items.  A few, like old race shirts I don't care much about, go in the dryer.  And socks.

sugnim

Interesting.  If it's just the stink that hanging to dry is supposed to help with, then I suppose I'm fine.  A half cup or so of white vinegar in the wash water keeps the funk safely at bay for me.

I just put them on hangers and hang them on a bar in my laundry area. Technical fabrics don't take long to dry anyway, so even if you have to hang them in a doorway, they won't need to be there long.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Except for socks, I hang up all of my running clothes.  The ceiling over our washer and dryer isn't finished, so there's pipes running over them.  Typically, those pipes are full of hangers with shirts, shorts, sports bras, etc.  I still have stuff that's 5 or 6 years old now, and I think it could be due to not putting that stuff in the dryer.

sugnim

But what about dripping?  Don't the wet clothes drip onto the floor?

xor

My stuff doesn't come out of the washer drippy.

BTW, specific to my first post... I hang up (or spread out) sweaty running clothes to retard the development of permafunk.  Throwing them in a hamper is what causes the beasties to multiply.  I hang most of them after the washing machine because the heat of the dryer can indeed be hard on some clothes.  But not all.  I know some folks who regularly dry their stuff in the dryer.  And others who dry none that way.

Heat of the dryer can also "set" permafunk and some stains.  So there's that.

Buy a fold-up drying rack. They're cheap. We hang all our running and bike clothes to dry, and I do believe it helps them last longer. I keep the racks in the bedroom in the winter, because it helps humidify the air--our heating system makes the house really dry. But you can set up your rack or racks anywhere you have space, and fold them up and stick them in a corner or a closet when you don't need them.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I don't dry any of my running clothes except socks. It's my personal belief that I can get more wear out of my clothes if I don't dry them - but some still have permastink even without the dryer. Maybe I'm just stinky?!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

NHLA

I use low heat unless tag says no dryer. High heat in the dryer will cause the waist band to break down before the shorts do.

Butter Tart

I never put my running clothes in the dryer (other than socks). I wash on the delicate cycle, then put on hangers and hang on hooks which I screwed on the inside of my bathroom door. (If I have lots of items I drape the others over kitchen chairs, exercise bike, etc.) They are dry by the next morning, sooner in warm weather.

I do this to make them last longer and I believe it works. I have been running for almost 3 years and none of my running clothes, not even the oldest items, are the slighest bit worn out (other than bras losing stretchiness).

Butter Tart

But what about dripping?  Don't the wet clothes drip onto the floor?

Not if your washer is working properly. If you handwash, that might be a different story. I machine wash on delicate.

A Saucy Wench

I never ever ever dry my running clothes.  Permastink.  And static.  And they dry so much faster than everything else they get kind of overdried.  And the lettering on race shirts will eventually dry, crack and peel off if you keep putting it in the dryer.

Wash on cold, air dry

And I hang them to dry over the dryer, on a rod I installed myself.   Tech fabrics dry fast.

I will partially dry heavier stuff (yoga pants, etc.) that takes too long to dry on cool for a few minutes before hanging them.

And no, if your washer is spinning properly, nothing should be so wet it drips, especially not tech fabrics.  Those are practically dry when they come out of the washer.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I don't dry any of my running clothes except socks. It's my personal belief that I can get more wear out of my clothes if I don't dry them - but some still have permastink even without the dryer. Maybe I'm just stinky?!

It helps to keep the fresh flavor of gum in your pocket when you wash them.

xor

It occurs to me, backward mingus, that in this thread we've mentioned "if your washer is working properly" and in a different thread "if your dishwasher is working properly".  Huh.  Sorry about that.