To Gu or not to Gu (Read 765 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I was wondering if anyone has any good info on when to use food (Gu's etc) during training and races.  I have run a couple of half marathons and I normally would take a Gu at about the 1 hr point, and I was doing the same thing during training runs that lasted over 90mins.  Since my last half, I haven't been using the Gu's during training runs and I don't really feel like I'm missing them.  I understand the "practice how you race" school of thought, but I have a suspicion that there is more to the story.  Any input would be appreciated.

**Ask me about streaking**

Slo

For myself, I don't take a gu unless I'll be approaching three hours and it's not all the time then either. I know what I can stomach so practicing isn't an issue.

On Marathon day I'll eat 3 to 4 packets. I don't use GU for any distances less than the Marathon.

Do me a favor though...If you feel the need...Pick up your damn wrappers. Makes it hard to complain about the Dog Shit when the runners can't police thier own damn trash. MTA, after giving it some more thought it's probably the damn triathletes.

Sorry for the rant.

npaden

I haven't ever used any Gu, but I am exploring the options for my first marathon coming up on May.

Reading some of the ultra race reports they seem to do gummy bears and things like that instead of Gu.

Not sure if Gu is easier to eat quicker and then wash it down at the aid station coming up vs. the gummy bears or what.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

For myself, I don't take a gu unless I'll be approaching three hours and it's not all the time then either. I know what I can stomach so practicing isn't an issue.

On Marathon day I'll eat 3 to 4 packets. I don't use GU for any distances less than the Marathon.

Do me a favor though...If you feel the need...Pick up your damn wrappers. Makes it hard to complain about the Dog Shit when the runners can't police thier own damn trash. MTA, after giving it some more thought it's probably the damn triathletes.

Sorry for the rant.

+1 to all of this. Once you know you can take Gu while running a marathon without gagging, there's not much practice needed. Since I haven't done any 3 hour training runs or raced a marathon in a couple of years, my Gu budget has been exactly zero.

Runners run

sugnim

I always feel gross after eating anything while I run.  I've done 2 halves, and several training runs of that distance or longer & I never eat anything.  Sometimes I'll have a little bit of water, and I almost always chew gum, but my guts just don't like gu or anything else while running.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm thinking of practicing more like getting my body used to digesting something (doesn't have to be a Gu).

Slo_Hand mentioned not using Gu for a race shorter than a marathon.  I'm curious...what did people do pre-Gu.  Eat something else?  Just have at it?  For ultra-running I can understand having to eat something, but for shorter distances (half/full) is it really necessary?

meaghansketch

There's a couple pros and cons to using GUs/ other products.

There's a theory that by not using them during training runs, you can train your body to tend to use fat as a fuel source first, since you aren't continually getting carbs to use as a fuel source instead.

The other part of that is you can bring your body closer to glycogen depletion by not using GUs, which should help you deal with the last miles of a long race (marathon or longer) when you'll almost certainly be nearing or reaching a glycogen depleted state. 

The downside to not fueling is that you're not getting practice taking in carbs, which are almost always beneficial during a race.  Another downside is that it's possible you wouldn't be getting the quality out of the long runs that you could otherwise be getting since you're running closer to a glycogen depleted state, and if you like to incorporate some fast finish/progression long runs, those could be tough without any carbs.

I hate how Competitor formats its articles, but this is actually a pretty good look at the pros and cons of fueling during long runs, and ends with an interesting take on the subject (glycogen-depleted long runs at the beginning of training; glycogen-loaded long runs at the end of training)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

There's a couple pros and cons to using GUs/ other products.

There's a theory that by not using them during training runs, you can train your body to tend to use fat as a fuel source first, since you aren't continually getting carbs to use as a fuel source instead.

The other part of that is you can bring your body closer to glycogen depletion by not using GUs, which should help you deal with the last miles of a long race (marathon or longer) when you'll almost certainly be nearing or reaching a glycogen depleted state. 

The downside to not fueling is that you're not getting practice taking in carbs, which are almost always beneficial during a race.  Another downside is that it's possible you wouldn't be getting the quality out of the long runs that you could otherwise be getting since you're running closer to a glycogen depleted state, and if you like to incorporate some fast finish/progression long runs, those could be tough without any carbs.

I hate how Competitor formats its articles, but this is actually a pretty good look at the pros and cons of fueling during long runs, and ends with an interesting take on the subject (glycogen-depleted long runs at the beginning of training; glycogen-loaded long runs at the end of training)

Thank you!  this is what I was getting at!

Wandering Wally

Check out this podcast:

http://trailrunnernation.com/2012/09/metabolic-efficiency-training-with-sunny-blende-and-tim-flemming/

While they deal with overall diet and training plans, they also touch on fueling during a run.  Pretty good stuff.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SheCan

I've never used Gu's.  I've done 4 halves and never fuel during them.  I've also done 2 marathons.  During my first marathon training cycle, I tried to get used to an occasional triscuit with peanut butter.  I never really felt like I needed em.  I'd eat them more out of boredom of the long run, and because I was told that I had to fuel up during a marathon.  

Well during the training cycle for the 2nd one, when I tried to incorporate eating with my training, I started getting serious migraines with really messed up vision and dizziness.  A few times I wasn't sure I'd make it home, so i started skipping any food during my runs again.  I did the marathon with just water.  As far as I know, it didn't seem to hurt much not having the extra calories.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jess runs for bacon

Barf, Gu.

I'm quite partial to Honey Stingers gummies. They have some energy stuff, so I can eat them before a practice run for some extra energy without feeling ridiculous, and have used them in halfs with no issues.

I usually pop the bag, let out the air and roll them into my SpiBelt. Then when I see an aid station, I start to pull them out. Not something I would eat without water. They taste good and I don't have to worry about making a mess. I usually only hit them once.

Just in case you were looking for an alternate Gu.

[Competitive] Jerk

+1. I only take gels on 1-2 of my last long runs in the cycle before the marathon. During the race I try to take a gel at 4,8,12,16,20 but I have yet to take more than 4 during a race.

Sorry for the rant.

What bike snob triathlete has led to you having sour views of all triathletes?

MTA: after giving it some more thought, I'll add the smiley face... Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Wandering Wally

On the subject of Gu in particular, I have learned that I can't handle more than 2 on a run.  After that my stomach revolts.  When I get back to running more than 13 miles for my long runs I am going to experiment with some different real foods.  Things like PB&J sandwiches cut into squares, some home made energy bites, M&M's and whatever else I can think of.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Slo

What bike snob triathlete has led to you having sour views of all triathletes?

Boy ain't that the truth. I've done my share of Triathlons but back in the day we didn't call ourselves "triathletes".  We didn't have Tri shorts, Tri tops, Tri bikes, Tri bags or Tri anything else. Nobody made us special shoes, or dimpled water bottles or funny bike helments. Somewhere I've developed a negative sterotype of triathletes.

So I'm getting off track...During my Sunday run I came up on two of our local triathletes out on thier LSD heart rate monitored, compresiion sock wearing longish run. Both of them were wearing fuel belts with about 10 gu paks a peice.