Anybody had been running through Piriformis Syndrome? (Read 3988 times)

My Chiropractor (he's a good guy, has kept me on the road more than anything else I've done), says that's what I've been dealing with for the last two years, off and on, along with low back pain (Which one came first? Did the low back pain irritate the P.S.?). Mine shut me down when I got debilitating pain on the illiac crest, of all places. Apparently the spasming P. pulled the muscle attachments to the point of pain? I know the P. doesn't attach there, but other muscles involved sympathetically? I dunno. Chiro. has me doing stretching and massage. I've just started running again, and managing to be pain free on runs, but not necessarily all day. The PS still flares easily. Illiac crest pain mostly gone.

Funny about running faster. Mine seemed to flare if I tried to run fast, or too much...I think I'll keep doing what's working for now, but keep it in mind.

I have the same problem with speed too.  I just can't run as fast as I use to.   When the pain starts flaring I slow down.  I'm disappointed with my speed now but all I can really do for the time being is grin and bear it. 

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Yup.  For me it's the result of a stupid SI joint after childbirth.  What works for me:

• I'd been running in a stability shoe, but I added an additional arch support.  I have medium-high arches but they're very flexible, and when my feet can't handle compensating, my hip takes over.  Mizuno Inspires + moldable yoursouls are my current gear, and it seems to be working well.  I may move to a neutral + insert configuration once this pair is done.  So don't be afraid to experiment.  Arch type only tells you so much.
      • Pigeon pose.
      • Tennis ball or lacrosse ball massage. Lie on your back on a firm surface (a yoga mat on a floor works) and put the ball under your glute on the side that has pain.  Massage the ball around till you find a sore spot, and then do leg raises on that side to really work the ball around.  Repeat a few times, moving the ball around, and then do the non-painful side, too.  World of difference for me.

I'm using Mizuno Wave Elixir myself plus I added a arch support plus heel supports too.  That took care of all the pain I was feeling in my heel at the time.  Yesterday a personal trainer advised me to use a foam roller.  I had my doubts about this technique, especially since they didn't  use them when I had physical therapy.  So after all this time I gave the foam roller a shot and to my surprise I could finally feel the difference.  I tried it again today and ran 8.75 miles comfortably.  I do plan on adding the tennis ball to my routine too. 

JanaLamb

Many different kind of exercises could be of help. I heard of lateral band walks - placing both legs in a band then trying to walk. It helps stabilize the hips and the glute.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Lauriruns

Yep. I had it last winter really bad.  I couldn't walk a,straight line. I was in serious pain and a Physical Therapist friend suggested I walk with a cane.

The yoga pose 'the Pigeon ' helped,  as well as treadmill or trail only, a roller on all leg areas and oh yeah...I talked hubby into getting a whirlpool spa. I recommend it. If you dont have access to one, see if you can join some type of gym.if only to sit in one 2-3 times a,week.

tomatolover

i've had pain-in-the-ass syndrome on and off again for over 4 years...sometimes it gets really sciatica like, authorities it's just a constant butt pain...sitting for any length of time worsens it and I have to be very careful with how I sit (always with lumbar support and get up often). Movies at the theatre really aggravate it and long distance flights OMG.   That said, I've had intermittent relief using the following things:

1. back extension exercises...I lie on the floor and low cobras for about 10 seconds, relax, repeat, etc. when it gets really bad ...it's for disc issues but helps my ass immensely.  I have been on the floor of many an airport doing this routine...here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGPgs1F7JeI

2. Hip strengtheners---when I flake out on these, I notice a huge resurgence of ass pain...my PT gave me a set of exercises a while ago and I do them often with a theraband...apparently this is very similar to a Myrtl routine (??) which I had heard of on this site.  Here's a link to Myrtl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0

3. massage.  I don't know where you live, but here in North Jersey, we are flush with cheap asian massage places...yes, I know what you're thinking and no, I've never had one of "those" massages...Just some really intense tui-na massage on my glute that works better than any sports massage I've had (and very affordable, albeit sometime weird)