More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

SubDood

Hey SubDood - Don't get me wrong, as you see by my log I spend most of my time on the treadmill. I do try to run outside at least once a week. If you were ever at Medicine Lake in the early evening or Saturday mornings there's no doubt we crossed paths a few times.

Well, I had considered running the Polar Dash Half, but the weather forecast kept me away.  You ran it in MINUS 7 degrees F!!! Isn't that the race where they hand out hot chocolate and fleece jackets to finishers?  There was a reference to "chilly-willies" earlier in this thread. Let me just say that the willie gets more than just chilly when you put a minus sign in front of the temperature.

Jeff F

Free Beer

I could have joined this club tonight but wimped out and ran my first TM run this winter...

Kalsarikännit

I could have joined this club tonight but wimped out and ran my first TM run this winter...

Nope. It is actual degrees not windchill. Windchill is currently 4, but it is actually 17.  (He wimped out on me which is strange because this is the guy who has dragged me out in 15 below zero windchill and through choppy, mucky slush and snow.)  I blame the excitement of getting to run in Arizona next week.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Another winter and time to revive the club.  3F when I started, 1F when I finished, 6.5 miles.

I bet there are others this morning...

joescott

It is actual degrees not windchill.

Here here!  I love the people around here who help us maintain some high standards!

As for me, -1 windchill, 10 miles today, but agree it *doesn't count*!!  Failed by 4 miles because the actual temp was 14.  But I think some more of that Nebraska air from LedLincoln is coming my way for tomorrow....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Here here!  I love the people around here who help us maintain some high standards!

As long as we are establishing rules - assuming you run long enough that the temperature changes during the run, do you use the temp at the start of the run or at the finish? Or can you pick either?

Not quite cold enough here in Metro Detroit, but the opportunities will come. Reminds me I need to stop by the LRS and pick up some more of the all-important wind-blocking undies.

Dave

Latent Runner

Hey Dave,

Did you happen to run the Turkey Trot last week?  I was in town for the holiday and ran the 10K (my younger brother ran the 5K); it was kind of strange running up Woodward with half filled stands through the middle of a snow storm.  Smile

It wasn't all that cold, but it was windy and combined with the snow, the pavement was really-really slick (especially the tar strips, man hole covers, and paint work), and the slickness contributed to some pretty slow times, errr, except for the few folks foresighted enough to bring spikes along.  Surprised

BTW, great question about temperature change; it is a rare day when the temperature isn't lower when I finish compared to what it was when I started.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Hey Dave,

Did you happen to run the Turkey Trot last week?  I was in town for the holiday and ran the 10K (my younger brother ran the 5K); it was kind of strange running up Woodward with half filled stands through the middle of a snow storm.  Smile

It wasn't all that cold, but it was windy and combined with the snow, the pavement was really-really slick (especially the tar strips, man hole covers, and paint work), and the slickness contributed to some pretty slow times, errr, except for the few folks foresighted enough to bring spikes along.  Surprised

BTW, great question about temperature change; it is a rare day when the temperature isn't lower when I finish compared to what it was when I started.

No I did not run the Turkey Trot. Although I did run my usual route on Thanksgiving morning, and I do remember it was a bit treacherous - some snow already on the ground, and more coming down. And it was pretty cold, but not more-miles-than-degrees kind of cold. Unless maybe you were running a marathon that day.

Dave

As long as we are establishing rules - assuming you run long enough that the temperature changes during the run, do you use the temp at the start of the run or at the finish? Or can you pick either?

I may need to know the answer to this one. Tomorrow I am running Cal International and the start temp looks to be 26, but closer to 32 at the finish.

I gotta say, running 26.2 in 26-32 degree weather doesn't really feel like the more miles than degrees club.

--

Nashville, TN

coldest day here in about 3 yrs in the PNW.  14 this morning.   went to gym for 6 + on dreadmill.   failed miserably.    wimpy stuff but I was not going to go out & run 14+ miles

I gotta say, running 26.2 in 26-32 degree weather doesn't really feel like the more miles than degrees club.

Yeah, it's certainly an accomplishment, but not necessarily in the spirit of the thing. In fact really not too bad conditions for a marathon, as long as there isn't freezing rain or anything. I remember a thread on this a while back, and someone posted they just ran a 100-miler and the temp was 70. So he got 30 points, but again, not quite the same thing. Even though much more impressive to me, because I couldn't run a 100 miler under any conditions.

Dave

Maybe its been said already, but since it is -6F out here, do I need to run 6 miles backwards?

Maybe its been said already, but since it is -6F out here, do I need to run 6 miles backwards?

No, the point totals are calculated by miles minus temperature. So you just set foot out the door and you immediately have 6 points.

Where the hell are you that it is -6°F?

MTA: nevermind, just checked your profile. Ouch.

Dave

Only 4 miles at -10 deg F today.  My avatar photo is from 11.5 miles at -10 deg F a few years ago.  The icicles were even better at -20 F, but no camera handy that day.

Minus 10 isn't bad, but the eyelash ice balls at -20 pull my eyelids shut.  That's a little annoying.

BRIGHT SUNNY DAYS are few and far in between in northern MN, so gotta get out there and see how long I last Cool.

Thurs:  start of run, 5 degrees, feels like -12, 12 mph gusty wind; end of run, 3 degrees, ran 3.1 miles.

Fri:  start of run, 0 degrees, feels like -14, 10 mph wind; end of run, -2 degrees, ran 3.25 miles.

Today (Sat):  start of run, -8, feels like -24, 10 mph wind; end of run, -7 degrees, only made it 2.1 miles.  Does this count?

I can't believe I do this just to avoid running on a TM at the local athletic club where I have a one month free membership, just too darn lazy to drive there.

JRMichler:  That's incredible!!  "only 4 miles"  Way to tough it out!!!  Frost on the eyelashes was the main reason I stop[ed after 2 miles today, BRRR!!  Not sure if a camera would work at those temps?

"Only 4 miles at -10 deg F today.  My avatar photo is from 11.5 miles at -10 deg F a few years ago.  The icicles were even better at -20 F, but no camera handy that day.

Minus 10 isn't bad, but the eyelash ice balls at -20 pull my eyelids shut.  That's a little annoying."