Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marco - I'm on a hectic work schedule this and the next week but I have hopes to hop over to Belfast in the beginning of November, I'll send you a private message if everything works out.

No problems, I understand as I travel for work a lot (in Rome next Friday, then in Barcelona the week of the 12th of November and in RTP on the week of the 3rd of December...) and I do know that once you leave you essentially do not stop working while you are abroad... but please feel free to contact me at any point while in Ireland/Northern Ireland (please before coming to NI check that you can, if you enter in Dublin you are in the Republic - not the UK, while Belfast is in the UK... Crazy...  Smile

Rune, enjoy the marathon!!!

me - this morning I wasn't feeling well, so I decided not to run... I'll see how  it goes tomorrow.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Rune / Steve - Good luck in the races!  I'm expecting full race reports.

I ran absolutely zero miles last week, still recovering from the marathon.  My legs were feeling normal about 3 days after the race.

Running easy miles all this week, and maybe next week with an abbreviated track workout.   

Keep up the great work!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - I've got some gels inbound to try out the next couple weekends. Also trying some running shorts (sans-liner) from a new, mostly ultra-focus company I've heard of lately.

Piwi - I totally missed the whole NBA starting up again thing since I've been working from home all week, and my usual dose of sports info typically comes from either the radio on the way to work or people who sit near me in the office.
        My in-laws go to quite a few of the Thunder home games. Maybe they could find a way to get a signed jersey...

Bro - Good job keeping it easy coming back. Be careful with the track workout next week, though, if you do it at all. At most I'd recommend just a few 200s, basically nothing more than an extended strides. Your legs will likely feel like they can handle it, but your cardiovascular system will probably feel like it hit a brick wall if you try anything tempo/VO2 max-based. It takes a bit for that to come back post-marathon, for most at least.

I'm getting some dangerous ideas for a "bad idea" race or two for next year, and I haven't even finished my big goal race for this year! 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm getting some dangerous ideas for a "bad idea" race or two for next year, and I haven't even finished my big goal race for this year! 

Already planned out my Boston training. Once I get into taper mode, I'm "over" my current race and already getting excited for the next one. In a way, it keeps me very calm during the taper because I've sort of stopped obsessing over this one. I plan on moving up to the 2Q 71-85 mile plan and let me tell you, there are some BRUTAL workouts in that one. My favorite has to be this:

2E + 8M + 1T + 4M + 1T + 1M + 1E

For you non Daniels folks, that's saying after a warmup, run 8 miles at MP, immediately go to 1 mile at LT pace, immediately go back to 4 miles at MP, then 1 more LT, then 1 more MP.

I don't even think 15 at MP is reasonable, let alone 13 at MP with 2 at LT thrown into the middle of that with zero rest.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac clearly that workout was designed for the under 35 crowd so you qualify 

Keen i watched okc v goldenstate yesterday. Tough playing the champs first up and without Westbrook but they came back well to get close at the end. Big Steve Adams had a double double. As you can see i know nothing about Basketball lol.

Bro you missed a few pages on here but i had a link to cheap lunaracers for you to check out.

My 12 yr old starts a thursday table tennis training today so every thursday afternoon i will have 2 hours to kill. Will make it a sorta medium long run day with 18kms or so.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I love your loyalty to OKC. Your lucky the re-signed Paul George, otherwise you would be watching a very bad basketball team. They’ll be better without Carmelo too.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac well they did make the playoffs if thats bad then ....Schroder looks good. NYC teams are not exactly killing it...sorry I take this seriously 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Cause it’s awesome to work far away from home. For 2 weeks anyway. I like this expression, jetsetter!

Marco - Yeah I know about the whole situation, but my research so far tells me there are no border controls (which might explain why they forced me to go through immigration at Heathrow).

Jmac - Confess!! You love that sadistic bastard 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - That workout is a beast - looks to me like it is probably the last or next-to-last LR of the cycle. Kind of a capstone workout, am I right?
                    My bad idea is somewhat dependent upon what I run in November and perhaps in whatever marathon I run afterwards, and if it doesn't interfere with a HM I want to do on Oct. 5 next year. Also somewhat dependent upon me losing my mind. My local roads are PERFECT for training for this type of race, so specificity would be no issue at all. Here's the Strava entry of a guy I met a couple years ago during a 6 hour race who won my Bad Idea.

Kiwi - I seem to remember hearing on the radio that teams in the western conference are far better than the east this year, and that OKC stands better than most at challenging Golden State. As for the "why" of any of this, I certainly couldn't tell you!

Not this Saturday (that's 20-22 mi), but next I have 15 at M pace on the schedule - no warm up or cool down included, so basically looks like a marathon "test". Everyone's thoughts on this? 15M sounds like a ton. Should I shorten this a tad, or see if I can do it? Maybe shorten the M section by a couple miles, but put some cool down in there and maybe get between 16 & 20 for the day?

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - I have a strong love hate with Daniels, but much closer to love. He's like a stern parent. You don't like him in the moment, but you know he's doing what's best for you.

Keen - you missed attaching the file. Regarding miles at MP, it's a contentious topic. There are some people that think going up to 16 is about the max, whereas others think you don't need that much and running that many miles at MP will take too much out of you. I think there's a lot to consider:

1) How quickly do you recover from workouts? If you feel good after a day or two, then you can go longer

2) Will you have "support", e.g. water available along the route you will be running? You should also take in gels in this type of run, as it's good practice for getting them in at marathon effort

3) How many miles have you been running? You're on the high end, so I think you could support at least 14.

4) Will doing this kind of workout make your marathon better? The point of running this long at MP is to get you comfortable at that effort, but there's not a lot of evidence that running at MP is any more beneficial to you than running easy pace.

Take those all into account when considering the length of the run. Personally, I find just running 12-13 miles at MP to be enough for me to give me confidence I need to finish the race at that pace, while also being long enough to practice sustaining that pace for a given period of time.

Overall though, 15 at MP is reasonable if you fit the right criteria. I will say that Daniels, in his 71-85 plan, caps the MP efforts at 14 miles. His biggest sustained effort (besides that outrageous one I sent out) is 2E + 14M + 2E. Maybe try that workout? Seems like a happy middle ground.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I updated my post when I realized I forgot the link.
                        To you questions/points:

1) 1-2 days is usually all I need, especially with the day after this LR being a complete rest day.
                        2) I am planning on taking gels with me to test my nutrition strategy for the race. Depending on which lake I do this around, I'll have either 2-3 places to stop for water per 10 miles, or 1 for about 8.5 miles. I can also carry water if needed, and am trying to talk my brother into riding his bike alongside me and handing me water when needed.
                        3) Extrapolating through the end of this week, I have averaged 72.3 MPW over 14 weeks (including 38 & 49 mi weeks when sick). I'll probably have ~65-70 miles for the week going in to this workout.
                        4) I do think there will certainly be benefit (mostly mental) in the familiarity of running so many miles at M pace (currently thinking of targeting 7 min/mi). I'm certainly not married to the 15M, but would like to do at least 13 since I've already had a couple runs with 10M.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sounds like you're good to go with 15 then. If that's the case, I would do 1E + 15M + 1E. My other workout also works, 2E + 14M + 2E. Also, definitely make sure you have water support if it's anything north of 55 degrees for the run. You don't want to have to stop in the middle of this to get water because you're dehydrated, it defeats the entire purpose of a sustained effort.

Jmac nice job on your last big workout today.  You can relax now 

Keen OKC lost Kevin Durant to Golden State so there is a familiarity with them and an extra grudge/edge 

Yesterday I did a 18k medium long run while waiting for my sons table tennis practice. Was about 20c and I got really thirsty after only 7kms but couldnt find a water fountain till 16kms in. Was a bit of a lesson but I normally run early so got caught out.

Piwi its good mental training to dig deep - forget about London and go for Badwater instead Smile

Jmac are you at the peak right now or have you ever been in better shape? Great workouts there, day after day.

Rune and Flavio are in Europe now. When is Runes Marathon again?

Thank god its Friday!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Rune good luck you have put in a lot of work, you can do this!

I have officially registered for a HM next weekend... felling good about my fitness after Wednesdays workout

<cite>https://spinxrunfest.com</cite>

still need to make a race plan

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)