Conversation Pace 158 bps HeartRate? (Read 100 times)

littleGizmo

Either my threshold to tolerate a higher heartbeat is increasing or these heart rate monitors on these machines at my health club are useless.

3 weeks ago before I started a run/walk program I could barely run 2 miles in 24 minutes and was so out of breath felt like I was going die afterwards, definitely not talking pace. I put my hands on bars on the treadmill that monitor heart rate it said 160 bps.

Yesterday on week 3 of the walk/run program I decided to test myself again and I ran 3 miles in 36 minutes. I also ran an additional 10 minutes after I reached my 36 minute goal just because the pace was feeling so comfortable to me. This time the 12 minute/mile pace for 3 miles felt actually very comfortable. I was able to the whole time carry on a casual conversation with my wife for 36 minutes about my work and how her day went, my wife was walking on treadmill besides me.  Several times while running and talking to my wife I put my hands on the handle bars on the treadmill that measure heart rate. Even at conversation pace my heart rate was like 158 bps? I took like 4 separate readings during my workout , 157-158 bps?  Can't be right talking pace isn't suppose to be that high. I didn't think you could talk for 30+ minutes at that heart rate of 157-158 bps?  Maybe my threshold just got a lot better? These are the heart rate monitor metal handlebars you hold at Planet Fitness on the machines that tell you your heart rate.

So if I can talk comfortably talk at with my heart rate at 157  - 158 bps this is out of my zone 2 and zone 3 training pace and I need to run slower then?

Andres1045

Heart Rate is so variable from person to person, so who knows.

But if you were measuring HR by using the bar on the treadmill, that can at times pick up your cadence. 158-160 could be your cadence at that pace.

Upcoming races: Boston

bblack

I personally don't put a lot of trust in any HR measurements that aren't coming from a chest strap. Like the other poster said, I think its likely its picking up your cadence or something.

SMART Approach

I wouldn't expect significant changes in heart rate within a couple weeks so it may be correct. Some of these early benefits perception wise are more efficiency and skill with running at same effort because you are getting into a routine. It is all a good sign but body takes weeks for aerobic physiological benefits to take place. It is a process. You are on the right track but you are very early in process.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

100! Totally agree. Chest strap.

158 convo pace might be possible, but I think you'd be world class...

I personally don't put a lot of trust in any HR measurements that aren't coming from a chest strap. Like the other poster said, I think its likely its picking up your cadence or something.

300m- 37 sec.

littleGizmo

I wouldn't expect significant changes in heart rate within a couple weeks so it may be correct. Some of these early benefits perception wise are more efficiency and skill with running at same effort because you are getting into a routine. It is all a good sign but body takes weeks for aerobic physiological benefits to take place. It is a process. You are on the right track but you are very early in process.

I think your right. My heart rate is probably the same jogging as it was two weeks ago I am just getting use to running. Its too soon for any significant changes in HR. According to the treadmill before I even start walking on it my resting HR is 64 bps. I do think though all along the treadmills at the gym never were picking up my HR accurately. 157-160 for 40+ some minutes seems more like sprinting pace if my max HR is suppose to be 177 based on my age. Sometimes my HR on treadmill reads as high as 173 during the runs and I am not even sprinting and I feel fine.  A really hard effort on the stationary bike or eliptical for 30 minutes usually amounts  to a heart rate in the 130's. So I am thinking the treadmills are reading my HR wrong and my HR on them probably matches more what it is on the Eliptical and Stationary bike, in the 130's. So my guess is my jogging HR is probably more in the 130's not 157-160. I think I will invest in either an Arm HR monitor or a chest one and see what it says my HR is during 30 minutes of jogging.

GinnyinPA

1. You're right that the TM HR monitor is probably off. Unless it uses a chest strap, the HRM is pretty useless.

2. Your actual maximum HR may be significantly different than the average. I am 65 and my maximum is over 185. Some of us are higher than the average, some lower. Unless you test it with an all out effort, you don't know what your HR ranges are.

3. I can talk when my HR is at 150+. For me, that is a comfortable pace.

4. People's perceived exertion levels and HR can be very different with different activities. My HR when working hard on a stationary bike is much lower than my HR when running.

Many wrist HR monitors (embedded within your watch) now are very accurate.

Apple Watch works well and is accurate.

I also have a Wahoo watch without a chest strap that works well.

I don't wear my chest strap anymore.

I suggest you invest in the watch options with or without a chest strap and ignore any treadmill HR monitor.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, my Apple Watch spits out totally believable #s...at least during runs and sleep. Not on the bike, but that's likely an issue with wrist angle. If I want accurate #s on the bike (necessity for Zwift -- I don't really pay attention for outdoor rides), then I have a Scosche armband (can be worn around bicep or forearm) that works well. Chest straps don't play nice with my sports bras and stupidly small ribcage.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

littleGizmo

Well I got a Polar Chest monitor that came in mail I ordered so I tested it on various equipment at health club comparing what the Polar HR Chest Monitor said vs. the built in HR monitors on the exercise equipment and this was my results.

Treadmill run portion 12 minute mile pace ( 2minutes) :

1) treadmill  HR Monitor: recorded my HR around 155- 160.

2) Polar Chest Monitor :   My heart rate on run portion registered my HR in 130's.

Stationary Bike (30 minutes)

1) Stationary bike HR handles:  recorded my HR during 30 minutes ranged between 125 - 152

2) Polar Chest Monitor:   HR on bike recorded during 30 minutes ranged between 105 - 136

Eliptical

1) Eliptical Handle bar HR monitor:  recorded my HR during 30 minutes 125 - 155

2) Polar chest Monitor:  recorded my HR during 30 minutes  ranged between 109 - 139

As I suspected the HR monitors on these machines was way off especially on the treadmill. So my conversation pace when jogging is actually more in the 130's according to the Polar Chest monitor, which makes a lot more sense to me. Jogging at a 12 minute pace on treadmill never registered my HR above the 130's according to the polar chest Monitor vs the HR handlebars on the Treadmill often showed it as high as 155 -160.

***update****

My Knee was feeling better after taking 2 weeks off due to a Knee/ shin splint  injury.  I resumed week 4 of a run/ walk program and this time at the end of week 4 it had a run distance test, to run as far as I could for as long as I could at an easy pace according to the program. 5mph feels like an easy pace now to me so that's what I set it for on treadmill. This time I did test with polar chest monitor on. This time instead of measuring just a short run/walk interval my knee was well enough to do a full continuous run for 3 miles to compare my HR measurements I took from a full continuous run I did on a treadmill using the handlebars on the treadmill.

continuous 3 mile at 12 minute mile clip using treadmill handlebars: 4 separate readings 157, 165, 172 HR range

polar chest monitor 3 mile at 12 minute mile clip reading: range during 30 minutes HR -> 110 - 162.  HR average 145.

So the polar HR chest monitor logs my HR significantly lower than the built in HR monitors on the treadmill. I am still shocked that my HR is recording even with the chest monitor on a lot higher Heart Rate during a 3 mile jog than I anticipated. It actually felt like a very comfortable jog and easy pace to me and I could talk to my wife during this time ( with a little huffing and puffing).

....So probably 5mph pace is probably too fast then if even with a chest monitor on... from the data it looks like 4mph would be a better jog pace for me. I will tailor my run/ walk splits to be only at a 4mph clip.

aproninitially

Any HR measures that aren't taken using a chest strap aren't very reliable in my opinion. I agree with the other poster that it's possible that it's picking up on your rhythm somehow. fireboy and watergirl