chafing (Read 212 times)

rrr0005

I am pretty new to this running thing. With my long runs now at 5 - 6 miles, I am beginning to worry about chafing. I have not experience this yet, and I would like to keep it that way. When should I start protecting myself against chafing? I have done some reading, but most of it focuses on what to do, but not when (ex. 5 miles or longer, 6 miles or longer). I am aware that everyone is different and people will chafe at different distances, but I am trying to find a general or average distance.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Feeling the growl again

No general or average.  When I was skinny and in shape I never chafed and never worried about it.  15 lbs overweight I use BodyGlide on every run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DaBurger

Long runs when I get soaking wet can be a problem.  Since there's so much variability between people, IMO it's better to just run and not worry about it.  Then if it starts figure out what caused it and fix it then.

Know thyself.

rrr0005

Got it! Thanks you guys!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think it's mostly a matter of finding the right underwear/shorts/tights/bra/whatever. It's got to be the right fabric, with seams not in bad places. What works for another person may or may not work for you.

Dude, like Spaniel says, BODY GLIDE is awesome. But,,,,you gotta put that shit on BEFORE you leave the house. Other wise you have to carry it with you a find a place to drop trow, and go to town rubbing it on your taint, inner thighs and such. So, it's just easier to use it before you leave for your run. Sometimes i get monkey ass on a long hike in summer, SOMETIMES.

I have done a number of 26.2 mile runs without chafing, and I've had chafing on a six mile run.  The chafing is a result of the clothes, temperature, humidity, running speed, and possibly the phase of the moon.  I did learn that if I put the Bodyglide on a chafed region before the shower, then the shower is painless.

Hmmm, bodyglide on chafe before the shower helps with the burn. HOT DAMN SON, i'll give it a try when/IF I ever get that dreaded chafe again.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have done a number of 26.2 mile runs without chafing, and I've had chafing on a six mile run.  The chafing is a result of the clothes, temperature, humidity, running speed, and possibly the phase of the moon.  I did learn that if I put the Bodyglide on a chafed region before the shower, then the shower is painless.

Same here. I've pretty much given up on Body Glide, and just concentrate on the clothes. BG works for about five miles, but hardly for 20+.  Interesting idea about the shower; I'll keep that in mind.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Body Glide is $$ garbage that crumbles towards the bottom of the stick.  Two Tom's Sport Shield costs about the same, lasts way longer, and doesn't need reapplication.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I generally don't even realize I've been chafed till I get into the shower.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

runmichigan

Body Glide is $$ garbage that crumbles towards the bottom of the stick.  Two Tom's Sport Shield costs about the same, lasts way longer, and doesn't need reapplication.

I have used Body Glide extensively and found that how quickly it wears off seems to depend on how much I am sweating.  The more I sweat the quicker it wears off.

I recently tried Sports Shield and found it does last longer than Body Glide in many cases, but it still does not prevent me from chafing.

Vaseline works just as well as body glide.
                            Lube up!

TomD2148

I have run many marathons each year since 1986  I have had only limited chafing.  Mainly when it is hot out.  I have found that vaseline works for me.  Now that I am in my 60's and much slower things as chafing seem to happen even less.  I am new to this sight, but not to running.

#artbydmcbride

Yo, TomD  Smile   maybe you are aren't chafing because your skin is well conditioned by now.

Runners run