Erie or Lehigh Valley PA marathons for BQ attempt? (Read 243 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Does anyone have experience with these races?  I'm looking at both for a BQ attempt in Sept.  

Erie is flat, which definitely appeals to me, since there are no hills where I live.  Lehigh Valley has some hills, but would give me a chance to BQ before registration opens, while Erie may fall during registration (I'm thinking registration might fill up quickly this year).  

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I don't know either one but I read this article today by Hal Higdon who is basically saying "ya you have until September but do it earlier"   There will probably be some 2013 nonfinishers that will be autoqualified and of course the popularity surge from the last week will clog up the registrations .   Good luck on the BQ,  just get it done quick

here is the Hal Higdon article : "Qualifying for Boston 2014"   http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/askhal/2013/4/23/qualifying-for-boston-2014.html

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Prince of Fatness

Does anyone have experience with these races?  I'm looking at both for a BQ attempt in Sept.  

Erie is flat, which definitely appeals to me, since there are no hills where I live.  Lehigh Valley has some hills, but would give me a chance to BQ before registration opens, while Erie may fall during registration (I'm thinking registration might fill up quickly this year).  

Lehigh Valley is not that hilly at all.  I ran it a few years back and have run on the course for years.  Most of it is along canal towpaths (flat).  A lot of cinder and dirt surface.  A few rough areas but mostly quite runnable. A couple of small hills in the first 5 - 6 miles.

The issue with Lehigh Valley is that it is too early in the season and it can be quite warm (that's what got me),  Otherwise I consider it a BQ course.

Not at it at all. 

Mmmmm...beer

Wolfwalker, that's part of the appeal of the Lehigh Valley race, it's on Sept 8th, which should be before registration opens, the Erie race is on the 15th.  If they open registration the second week of Sept like they did last year, then I'll have missed the first week if I run Erie.  Of course this is only a concern if I can go BQ-5 or possibly BQ-10.  I'd prefer to be able to register at the first opportunity open to me, instead of hoping that there is still space by the time I run my race.  For that reason I'm leaning heavily towards Lehigh.  But I'm also hearing good things about Erie.

MrFinn, that's really good to hear, since I'm leaning towards that race.  It's a lil bit closer to me (by 4 hours) and I have some friends in the area that I could stay with to keep costs down.  I probably have an irrational fear of hills, just because all of my running is flat.  But I do get to run hills occasionally when we visit the inlaws, and I still tend to handle them ok.

-Dave

My running blog

chuckstone

I did Lehigh Valley a couple years ago with the same idea of BQ just before registration opened.  It was successful for me as I aimed for BQ-5 and came in a little better than that..

The thing that impressed me the most was how well the race organization communicated with runners prior to the race.  There was storm related flooding that caused a change in parts of the course.  They scrambled to get the modified course certified and used numerous emails / facebook posts to keep runners informed of the challenges and planned solutions.  There was a clear commitment to making sure the race happened and BQs would be accepted by BAA.

It was rather warm and humid on race day, but after a summer of training it didn't seem to hurt me much.

Jess runs for bacon

Since I am from the LV, I say do Via. Like mentioned, weather can get warm but most of the course is on trails with lots of shade, which should help (I run on multiple parts of the course often). Hoping this will be my first marathon this year.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks chuckstone, I think the Erie race might be a lil faster, but I'm probably gonna go with the Lehigh race just to make sure I get it done before registration opens.  Glad to hear that it's a well organized race.  Hopefully training over the summer will put me in a similar situation to be able to handle the heat if it turns out to be a lil warm.

Thank lilac (Jessica, right?  I have a horrible time with names lol).  We'll have to FE if we both go, since we missed each other at Shamrock. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

YAYpril - B-Plus

I did Lehigh Valley a couple years ago with the same idea of BQ just before registration opened.  It was successful for me as I aimed for BQ-5 and came in a little better than that..

The thing that impressed me the most was how well the race organization communicated with runners prior to the race.  There was storm related flooding that caused a change in parts of the course.  They scrambled to get the modified course certified and used numerous emails / facebook posts to keep runners informed of the challenges and planned solutions.  There was a clear commitment to making sure the race happened and BQs would be accepted by BAA.

It was rather warm and humid on race day, but after a summer of training it didn't seem to hurt me much.

If this was in 2011, I ran the half. Hurricane Irene (I think?) completely trashed parts of the course a week before race day and they did have to modify the course but they got it recertified ridiculously quickly. I was really impressed with the communication they had with runners while all this was happening.

I'm a local and I'm running the full this year as my first. The weather is a crapshoot (although it was 50* at the start last year - I didn't run it then) but that's just a risk you have to take.

Jess runs for bacon

Thanks chuckstone, I think the Erie race might be a lil faster, but I'm probably gonna go with the Lehigh race just to make sure I get it done before registration opens.  Glad to hear that it's a well organized race.  Hopefully training over the summer will put me in a similar situation to be able to handle the heat if it turns out to be a lil warm.

Thank lilac (Jessica, right?  I have a horrible time with names lol).  We'll have to FE if we both go, since we missed each other at Shamrock. Smile

Jessica, yup! At a minimum we can FE if I don't run, since it is my backyard, but hopefully my body will cooperate and let me run it.

Mmmmm...beer

Jessica, yup! At a minimum we can FE if I don't run, since it is my backyard, but hopefully my body will cooperate and let me run it.

Hope you can run it!  Me, you and April so far for an FE, maybe we'll get some others jumping in later too.  My first FE (my first race that I'm traveling to also!).

-Dave

My running blog

YAYpril - B-Plus

Hope you can run it!  Me, you and April so far for an FE, maybe we'll get some others jumping in later too.  My first FE (my first race that I'm traveling to also!).

daisymae25 and Gustav1 are also local. Jess and I have met Daisy but have yet to meet Gustav (even though he and I share some running routes, ha)

Mmmmm...beer

daisymae25 and Gustav1 are also local. Jess and I have met Daisy but have yet to meet Gustav (even though he and I share some running routes, ha)

Very cool!  I'll have to figure out how I'm gonna work it, I might be up there a couple of days early if I can stay with some friends that are nearby (trying to keep costs down), or just the day before if I do a hotel (less than ideal to have to drive 6 hours the day before running a marathon, but oh well).  But we can sort out all the details as it gets closer, should be fun! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Hoban-Jay

Eerie...it's flat and much of it is right along the late.   But if you're willing and able to wait until Oct, go with the WineGlass Marathon.  Ever so slightly downhill, from Bath to Corning, and all the glorious fall colours and crisp air the autumn in the Finger Lakes area cares to produce.

Mmmmm...beer

Eerie...it's flat and much of it is right along the late.   But if you're willing and able to wait until Oct, go with the WineGlass Marathon.  Ever so slightly downhill, from Bath to Corning, and all the glorious fall colours and crisp air the autumn in the Finger Lakes area cares to produce.

Thanks.  I'm gonna go with Lehigh since I want to try to qualify before registration opens.

-Dave

My running blog

I'm inclined to think my BQ-3:15 isn't going to hold up for 2014, so you'll probably find me at LVM too. 18 weeks starts May 6....F.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes