Runnig Clubs (Read 7267 times)

I just joined a local running club (the Central Mass Striders - Worcester, MA). Primary reason is they all get together and go to races together and train together...and my real reason is they offer free coaching for all memebers (as part of the membership)...... So I'm excited about it all...since I cant get anyone in my family to run with me (except my son occassionally)... My question: Are any of you members of running clubs or groups and is it helping you????

Champions are made when no one is watching

Half Fanatic #846

I'm a member of Gulf Winds Track Club, but unfortunately, their meetings and runs are too far away for me to participate in (about a 50 mile round trip each time) and I'm working often when they have events. But the benefits to me are the newsletter and discounts for local entry fees - which I do 10 or so of each year. Smile The club dosen't offer "free (personal) coaching" specifically, but does have several training groups available during the year to train for upcoming events mostly (ie; marathon, 10K, etc.).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I race for Dirigo (so you might see us at some USATF-NE events!) I also race for the Trail Monsters, in trail races, where Dirigo doesn't field a team (which is any trail race I do pretty much.) I also race for RF Alumni, my college alumni team. I belong to the Maine Track Club, but have never actually raced for them, mostly because any race with a team component that they are doing tends to have a Dirigo team. I coach a group of people through Maine Running Company in the Reach the Beach program.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zzz

Tidewater Striders in Virginia And there a couple of running groups where you can purchase your running shoes.... Final Kick and Running Etc... I have only tried the Final Kick Saturday am group but will try the Running Etc evening group for beginners this coming Monday evening. This is what happens when you take a year off and gain weight... back to square 1!! Good luck I'm sure you'll have loads of fun!!
          jeffdonahue

I run with the Winchester Highlanders (Winchester, MA). I had been looking for a club to run with for a long time but most of the ones I found in my area only seemed to have one scheduled run per week. the Highlanders run every morning at 5:45 so any morning that I want someone to run with, I just head down. They also have scheduled hard workouts - track, hills, tempo and long - every week. I have found it extremely helfpul, especially on the hard workouts (I usually do hills with them) because when you are with other people for these types of workouts you will tend to push harder than you would on your own.
            sluggo

John

I just joined a local running club (the Central Mass Striders - Worcester, MA). Primary reason is they all get together and go to races together and train together...and my real reason is they offer free coaching for all memebers (as part of the membership)...... So I'm excited about it all...since I cant get anyone in my family to run with me (except my son occassionally)... My question: Are any of you members of running clubs or groups and is it helping you????
              I run with the Wicked Running Club in Salem, MA (Boston's North Shore). I really like this club. We - have at least 4 group runs each week, do our best to include slower runners, get together at many races, participate in several relay races... It is making running a lot more fun and enjoyable.

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Duncan

i run with petts wood runners in outer london. i am not a joiner by nature but love being in a running club. it is great to run with others, it does push you a bit more, you get encouragement in a group, somebody will invariably run alongside you through a rough patch etc. like most clubs there are some nifty runners who hold special training sessions from time to time.
                  I run with Motley Crew in New Brunswick. Track club, not road, but focused on distance runners. Definitely helps the speedwork to have someone on your shoulder for a 100% 200m at the end of a long workout. I like having someone to share the pacing with too, it's easier to run someone else's pace for track work than try to hit times on your own. I find it, anyway.
                    Shamrock Running Club in Woburn, MA We have a track workout at WHS on Tuesdays at 6:30 pm, a tempo run from the Irish American Club at 6:30 PM on Thursdays, and group long runs on Saturday and Sunday. We also have members who meet up for early morning runs in Woburn center. I joined about 2 years ago and training with other people and doing track workouts has dramatically improved my running. Not to mention all the fun we have as a group! We also claim Eric as a memeber! Bob
                    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

www.summerlinstriders.com Las Vegas, Nevada
                        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48