Loose toenail 2 weeks before marathon (Read 83 times)

FloppyEars

Injured toenail a month ago in an ill-fitting ski boot. It's inevitably going to fall off. Question is, should I coax it off sooner rather than later to allow the nail bed time to adjust before the marathon, or try to salvage it until after? My biggest worry is losing it a few days before or during the race.

an amazing likeness

Leave it.  Wrap it with KT tape before each run so it doesn't get more irritated.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Marky_Mark_17

Just leave it.  Like milktruck said, tape it if you need to.  They can take a super-long time to fall off anyway and if you try and force it you could do some damage.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

slingrunner

Personally I'd take it at least some off, if it's ready to go, but that's not based on any science, just what I've done successfully.  You got to know when it's ready though.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

delicate flower

Let it fall off when it is ready to.  And then when it does fall off, sniff it.

<3

NorthNorthwest

And then when it does fall off, sniff it.

That's the correct answer, but it's kind of weird to see someone actually say it. I admire your courage.

AceHarris

It'll probably fall off mid marathon and irritate you and make you stop to check it. If this happens, see above olfactory instructions. Best of luck.

JK, toenail problems are not fun. I agree with letting it run its own course and possibly trimming any loose irritating portions.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Injured toenail a month ago in an ill-fitting ski boot. It's inevitably going to fall off. Question is, should I coax it off sooner rather than later to allow the nail bed time to adjust before the marathon, or try to salvage it until after? My biggest worry is losing it a few days before or during the race.

While it will INEVITABLY fall off, it might take 3 months. As others have said I'd leave it there. The times I've lost toenails I've still been able to run un-adjusted after a toenail comes off. Even after pulling them off it was good to go, but I wouldn't try and speed anything up so close to race day. This probably guarantees it falls off a few days before race day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

While it will INEVITABLY fall off, it might take 3 months. As others have said I'd leave it there. The times I've lost toenails I've still been able to run un-adjusted after a toenail comes off. Even after pulling them off it was good to go, but I wouldn't try and speed anything up so close to race day. This probably guarantees it falls off a few days before race day.

Yeah, this. If you let it naturally fall off, you'll find that a new nail is growing underneath and you'll have no issues. If you try to take it off prematurely, you'll find exposed skin, which will lead to nasty issues down the road.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have some photos of what jmac is describing if you'd like me to post them. I got a "full pull" and it is possible to see the new nail growing underneath.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

watsonc123

+1 to leave it, except tape it.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

FloppyEars

Following up for anyone who has this problem in the future: I kept a bandaid on the nail at all times except during showers. It didn't bother me at all during any runs or the race. And then when I was showering immediately after the race, I barely wiggled it and it fell off! I didn't smell it. If anyone would like to do the honors, feel free to provide your address and I'll send it.

NorthNorthwest

It's only really worth it if you smell it right away. Generous offer, though.

In all seriousness, I'm glad it worked out for you. Not surprising that the race would jar it loose little by little over the miles. Now you can look forward to a brand new toenail and the many adventures you'll have together.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I took photos of the nail and the toe separately. It’s good to show people what it looks like without removing your shoes and socks.

VDOT 53.37