Knee Tendonitis - pes anserinus (Read 802 times)

McShane

Dear RH Community - after a week off due to knee pain, a sports medicine guy diagnosed tendonitis, actually, pes anserinus tendonitis - which effects the tendons inside and at the bottom of the knee. When these tendons are inflamed it prevents twisting the leg outward while running. Anyway - his advice was to resume running but with a rest day in between. A series of stretches that help loosen the tendon which is on the interior of my left knee, and applying heat, not ice! Anyone ever deal with this? I have my own theory that stretching my calfs constantly in a forward to position to alleviate plantar facititis (have that too) has caused my tendons to just respond forward and weaken side to side. Anyway - ran 4. 3 miles and felt better, but it is still not 100%. Any advice is appreciated, TB
      How much mileage and have you increased recently? I had knee problems several years ago when I increased mileage and intensity at the same time.. Sometimes an imbalance is present. Stationary bike, hills and leg lifts strengthen the quads for this. I have been injury free the last 18 months and ran three marathons after I found a good sports massage therapist that I go to weekly.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

McShane

CRb81- I had been increasing my milage to run a half marathon, did a 10 than a 12 miler, my milage increased from 16-20/wk to 25 -30 with longer training runs. That is likely the main culprit. One good thing is I dropped 10 pounds which makes me feel lighter and on some runs I ran faster - so maybe it is an intensity thing. I look forward to warmer weather when I ride my bike to work (10 miles) than run the next day. Tonight the low is 15 degrees, however it will be 49 tommorow. What kind of massage worked, is it expensive? Thanks, TB
          My massage therapist uses deep tissue and trigger point technique. She can tell with her fingers where you are tight. Check out the post by fbgrrl in the thread on aggravating knee problems. She describes what my therapist does when I have tightness in that region. Before, nagging injuries would build up. Now, if something isn't quite right she will work on it and it is gone after a few sessions. I pay 60$/hr which is less than many places but I live in a small town. I never miss my session. I get one hour on my legs every wednesday and will go in on a saturday before sunday races.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon