Waking up early (Read 1028 times)

Wandering Wally

Lots of good stuff here.

I'll just add that when I know I have a run scheduled, it's easier for me to get up.  I have a goal and I get up and accomplish it.  No arguing with myself about it.  I just do it.  When I don't have a run scheduled it's actually harder for me to get up.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

get a cat.  they'll letcha know in no uncertain terms as to when it's breakfast time in the land of felinity

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

#artbydmcbride

get a cat.  they'll letcha know in no uncertain terms as to when it's breakfast time in the land of felinity

this is the truth!

Runners run

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned one other aspect that works for me..........

Schedule time to run wiht a friend.  I run with my best friend on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.  T & Th we meet on the corner near his house (less than 1 mile away) at 4:30 AM regularly......so I am up about 3:45.  Sunday's we try to "sleep in" and hit the road anywhere between 6:00 and 7:00.  For us, we don't want to let each other down.....it is a really great motivator.

I also agree with other suggestions......get what sleep is good for you so you are not just exhausted each day.  For me, what seems to beoptimal is about 5 to 5.5 hours of sleep.  I have been running early mornings like this for more than 5 years, so it just becomes habit and oftent times I hardly need an alarm.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I wish i can get up early on weekends, this past summer in that heat I still slept late, by the time I rolled out the door and got to the park it was already lunch.

Sharz96

I run at 4AM.  It’s dark no matter what time of the year, but if I get up and into my running clothes and out the door IMMEDIATELY, I have no problem.  But I cannot give myself time to think about anything like how cold it is, or whether it’s raining or I’ll start re-arranging the running plan to skip or shorten the run. So I can’t hit snooze, or take time for coffee or anything.   Just get my @ss out of bed and out the door before I’m even awake enough to think straight.  If I feel thirsty, I’ll drink maybe 3-4 ounces of water/milk/juice—whatever appeals.  But that’s it. 

The first two weeks were the hardest, but I made that initial adjustment by getting up at 4:30 and out the door by 4:45 to run one mile, and one mile ONLY, every single weekday morning.  Of course, back then, I was getting back into it from nothing, and that one mile was 15-17 minutes.  But every single day was the key for me, at a low enough volume and speed that I did not need a rest or x-training day in between.  By the third week, once I’d gotten used to getting up, I dropped back to three days a week and started the usual mileage building routine.  But I think the “every day” was crucial to making the adjustment in two weeks, with no false starts.

But that's weekdays only.  My weekend lung run is placed wherever fits best with the weather, high/low temps, and weekend plans. 

RunswithBeer

That is so funny. On weekends we lock the cat in the basement so we are not getting up at 5AM. But whichever day my long run is scheduled, I leave her out as she is my alarm clock. Works every time.

lagwagon

I get up at 4 every day and run at 5. Here's what helps me:

1. Go to bed at least 7 hours before you're going to get up.
                    2. DON'T hit the snooze -- that's personal torture in my book. Just get up!
                    3. Have a cup of coffee and read the news for a bit before going for your run (I look forward to this every morning -- so I'm usually eager to get up just for this.)
                    4. Get your running stuff together before you go to bed.
                    5. Keep focused on how good you're going to feel getting your run done early and having that rush from your run all morning

What I'm about to say here regarding step 3 will either get me ridiculed, shunned or banned...

I found that by kicking the coffee habit (down from ~4 cups/day) I get out the door much quicker and my morning run quality went up to near normal after a slowish "wake-up" mile.   I also fall asleep quicker and seem to sleep better.

BTW, I still enjoy a cup from time to time, but I treat it more like a recreational drug than a habit.  Works for me.  YMMV.

rainmakerrc

What I'm about to say here regarding step 3 will either get me ridiculed, shunned or banned...

I found that by kicking the coffee habit (down from ~4 cups/day) I get out the door much quicker and my morning run quality went up to near normal after a slowish "wake-up" mile.   I also fall asleep quicker and seem to sleep better.

BTW, I still enjoy a cup from time to time, but I treat it more like a recreational drug than a habit.  Works for me.  YMMV.

I love me some coffee as well, but I, too, have eliminated pre-run coffee in order to get out the door earlier, especially on mid-week runs.  I can get up and be out the door within 10 about minutes.

kateruns

Running first time helps wake me up Smile

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/2012/04/early-morning-run.html

The cat only bothers my wife in the morning. I approve of this arrangement.

chaquita73

I'm a newbie.  I've been trying to get up early to run before the kids are up but I'm finding myself getting light headed if I get up and immediately hit the treadmill.

Does anyone eat before running in the am?  If so, what do you eat that's quick to prepare and how long do you wait to run after eating?

Chantilly75

I wish I had a better tip, but my tip is "get old".  Somewhere along the way, I lost the ability to sleep past 7a.  Pretty much ever.  And I don't have trouble getting up at 5 or 6 like I did when I was younger.

Heh.

+1

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

I'm a newbie.  I've been trying to get up early to run before the kids are up but I'm finding myself getting light headed if I get up and immediately hit the treadmill.

Does anyone eat before running in the am?  If so, what do you eat that's quick to prepare and how long do you wait to run after eating?

I usually eat a banana, put on my shoes, and then run. I'll probably need more once my runs get longer, though.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]