Waking up early (Read 1028 times)

Fistmaster General

my alarm is set for 3:42 and I'm out the door before 4:30.  it was necessary during the pfitz days, not as much right now since I'm using Hanson.  I take a drink of water when I first wake up, then empty the dishwasher and hopefully by then the poomonster has come.  After that, I'm out the door.  Under 12 miles and I dont eat anything.

It took about a week of getting up before 4 but now its just "the way".  Just do it a few times and it will be easy for you too.

"I... am a fucking moron." - MattM

SimonWitt

Hello Friends,

Waking up early is a productivity method of rising early and consistently so as to be able to accomplish more during the day. This method has been recommended since antiquity and is presently recommended by a number of personal development gurus. The philosopher Aristotle said, "It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth, and wisdom."

Any easy way to do this is not to just focus on one side of the night.  If you want to get up early you also need to go to bed early.  If you do not do the preperation (going to be early) you will not be successful.  Too many people try to get up earlier while going to bed at the same time they used to.  Not rocket science.

Getting up early to go to work sucks. Getting up early to go running is a joy.

Dave

ShotNixon

This Space For Rent

Getting up early to go to work sucks. Getting up early to go running is a joy.

+1 I love  getting up early on the weekends, running, eating and napping all before 11:00.

+1 I love  getting up early on the weekends, running, eating and napping all before 11:00.

Yep!  Wake up about 6am, hit a race (or run if no race) by 7 or 8am, come home, eat, and be ready for a nap sometimes before others in the house have even gotten up the first time that day.  --- Sleeping in till 11am?  What a waste!

Person 1:  "Yaaaaayy, the weekend is FINALLY HERE!  Been looking forward to the weekend!"

Person 2:  "What did you do?"

Person 1:  "Just slept in all day... didn't do anything at all actually"...

Person 2:  "You were looking forward to THAT?  Doing absolutely nothing?!!"

--Just doesn't make sense to me to waste the day away sleeping!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Black-Toe-Nailed

5:00 during the week

I get out at 5:20-5:30, if the schedule calls for a run longer than usual (say a  11-12 miles run in the middle of the week, Pfiz marathon schedule) I stay up at 4:30.

On Saturday I stay up at 6:30-7:00-ish as I run with the guys at 8:30

Sundays I stay up LATE, this makes me so fed up of sleeping that I have no problem staying up at any time during the rest of the week.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

AdamYax

This may sound stupid... but is running the morning better then the evenings? I have been running for 5 years now. Not an expert my any means, but I do have marathons under my belt and try to be the best I can be, but I run the evenings. Would it be better if I ran in the mornings?

Would it be better if I ran in the mornings?

There is no bad time to run.

Dave

Fanilow

This may sound stupid... but is running the morning better then the evenings? I have been running for 5 years now. Not an expert my any means, but I do have marathons under my belt and try to be the best I can be, but I run the evenings. Would it be better if I ran in the mornings?

I think everyone is different and we all just do what works for us personally. However, I started out running at night and at the time I really enjoyed it. Now, I run in the mornings for the most part and don't like it when I have to run in the afternoon or evening. I'm not sure why but I don't run as well later in the day. It's strange because for my first year I exclusively ran at night.

You can always try running early to see if you like it. See if your running improves. It takes a few weeks to get used to. At least it did for me.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

lisathewalker

My alarm goes off at 4:15....I usually hit snooze a time or two. The hardest part is that initial rolling out of bed. After that, it's not too bad. Waking up early becomes a habit after a little while.

Mine, too! I get laughed at because I get up so early.  I've been doing for MANY years I really don't even need an alarm clock!.  I get up, take care of my birds, make my protein drink, stretch for about 1 1/4 hrs,  weights  on  M, Th & Sat, and  walk daily!  Everything gets done and I have the rest of the day for myself.

jkr8789

I'm up before 5am M-F... usually sometime between 4:30-5am. My schedule changes a lot though. For instance, when I was doing my clinical rotation this summer, I had to be out the door and running by 3:20am. That was rough. But I got used to it. During the summer I'm almost always out and on the roads at 4am during the week. On the weekends it's 5am. In the winter I will sleep in a bit and hit the road at 7am if I don't have anything else to do that requires me to get my run in earlier. I've gotten up and run as early as 2am before... it was the only time I would have had all day to fit in the run. I think the key for me is, really, to just not think about it. Don't think about how early it is. Don't think about how most people are still sleeping in their nice, soft, warm bed. Don't think about how it's still the "middle of the night" to most people. Just get dressed and GET OUT THERE. The first few miles are always the worst. Sometimes I have a bad attitude about it for more than half of the run. But I have never, ever regretted an early morning run. I never think to myself after running "hmm... it would've been much better if I had turned my alarm off and slept in instead." Nope. Not once. You'll get used to it. Coffee helps a lot.

Arimathea

Tessa

It is for me, but I live in southern California high desert. A good deal of the year it is just too hot outside to do a lot of running in the evenings. I might run late in day sometimes, particularly in those long light summer evenings, but if I want to get a llong run in and not pass out from heat exhaustion I need to haul out early and get done before the sun is too high.