Running across the Golden Gate Bridge (Read 331 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

I have a business trip coming up in July that may allow me a day off to wander around SF, so I am planning a route that involves running across the Golden Gate Bridge. Anyone has any good ideas? Since it is going to be at a leisurely pace I think I can tolerate up to 20 miles. Right now my plan is to park somewhere south of the bridge (since I'll be driving up from San Jose), run toward and across the bridge, wander somewhere north of the bridge, and then run the same route back. So far Fisherman's Wharf and Sausalito are coming up a lot on my google search (they must be good tourist spots, but what about running?). I also found Slackers Hill which seems like a nice short scenic trail nearby. I prefer scenic paths over tourist-packed shopping areas, except maybe a place to stop for food. There are a couple of things I haven't figured out yet though:

1) What is the parking situation nearby? Do I need to come prepared with a roll of quarters?

2) What is the availability of water fountains? Or are there enough shops/cafes along the way to refuel? I'd prefer not to have to carry water bottles.

Thanks!

kcam

This is a description of my very favorite route across the bridge.  Instead of Fort Baker you can continue into Sausalito.  It's an out-n-back.  I park at Ocean beach which has plentiful parking.

SF Ocean Beach to Fort Baker and back

Here's the actual RA map from that run:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/024544872e9d430ba99059a4954b92e2/workouts/300d060c336144e5b8a6726192d0dfbd/map

at the far end of the map instead of that sharp u-turn I made to come back you could just coninue onto the Bridgeway into Sausalito, go as far as you want before turning around.  The bridgeway is awesome and there are lots of place to grab a quick bite to eat before heading back.

Feeling the growl again

It's a nice run I do every time I am in SF.  Unfortunately I've never found a way to go anywhere useful once over the bridge.  So read ken's link or plan ahead, because it's not awfully intuitive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Member Since 2008

Definitely stay away from fisherman's warf.

Feeling the growl again

Definitely stay away from fisherman's warf.

I typically stay downtown and run the Embarcadero out to the bridge....which includes Fisherman's Warf.  Yes, it sucks, and I usually end up running portions in the street (except early morning).  But once you get through that the parks on the shore are nice so I put up with it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

I typically stay downtown and run the Embarcadero out to the bridge....which includes Fisherman's Warf.  Yes, it sucks, and I usually end up running portions in the street (except early morning).  But once you get through that the parks on the shore are nice so I put up with it.

Advantage to running from the embarcadero is you get to run through the marina to the bridge.  Downside is parking and F'ing Fisherman's Wharf.  Advantages to the link I provided above are parking is easy, no tourist areas ('cept the bridge) and significant off-road mileage.  Downside is you don't get to run the marina which is gorgeous.

bap

I'd definitely recommend running to Sausalito after crossing the bridge, then getting the ferry back over to the city.

You may want to start in the Marina District. It's very nice, but there's a 500 foot net climb to the bridge.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

#artbydmcbride

If you'll be in on the 27th of July, try this!

http://www.thesfmarathon.com/

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

I did it once, but since I was staying in Tiburon I parked on the north side of the bridge.  Ran down around Crissy Field towards the wharf and then back.  Was only 6 or 7 miles.  Do not remember parking being a problem on the north side.

Not at it at all. 

SillyC

If you cross the Golden Gate, there's a visitor's center on the north side.   Look around for an underpass, and you can go to the Marin Headlands.  There is some epic trail running there.  Water fountains are few and far between in the Marin Headlands (you can find them on the park maps) so plan carefully.  I didn't drive there, I took public transit to the south side of the bridge, ran across, then spent the day playing around in park.

If you cross the Golden Gate, there's a visitor's center on the north side.   Look around for an underpass, and you can go to the Marin Headlands.  There is some epic trail running there.  Water fountains are few and far between in the Marin Headlands (you can find them on the park maps) so plan carefully.  I didn't drive there, I took public transit to the south side of the bridge, ran across, then spent the day playing around in park.

This.

Runners run

SillyC

Wing

Joggaholic

Thank you all for the tips! I will certainly cross Fisherman's Wharf off my list, now I'm leaning toward the Ocean Beach route as Ken and many others have recommended.

Mostly harmless

Thanks for starting this thread.  I will visit SF for the first time in September.  It didn't occur to me that pedestrians are allowed on the bridge.  I'll include a run across the bridge in my plans!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Thanks for starting this thread.  I will visit SF for the first time in September.  It didn't occur to me that pedestrians are allowed on the bridge.  I'll include a run across the bridge in my plans!

It's windy and cold.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.