Eat food. Not too much. After exercise. (Read 920 times)

running yogi

Well that's blasphemy as far as the recovery food industry is concerned. Atleast it's possible to reason with smart atheletes. I have co-workers and friends who eat $3 energy bars and drink gatorade after doing nothing. They think they are doing something good for themselves. I fell into the readymade recovery food trap when I started running, but now I eat only real food, not too much and mostly veges and lots of eggs Big grin.

Lazy idiot

After a particularly vigorous weight lifting workout, I will take 16 oz of sugar water (to alleviate soreness, I believe I was told) After runs it's usually Gatorade.

Tick tock

running yogi

fresh pineaple for soreness.(not the canned variety) ( Confused am I turning into Trent ?)

Lazy idiot

fresh pineaple for soreness.(not the canned variety) ( Confused am I turning into Trent ?)
          I may try that, too. The sugared water seems to work very well.

Tick tock

I eat a family size bag of Doritos to prevent cramping after long runs. Nacho cheese though...not cool ranch.

Lazy idiot

I eat a family size bag of Doritos to prevent cramping after long runs. Nacho cheese though...not cool ranch.
              I love Doritos. Does this work? Big grin

Tick tock

Read it this morning. My favorite part: "Insulin may stimulate muscle protein synthesis in young rodents and in human cells grown in petri dishes, Dr. Rennie said. But studies in people have shown convincingly that insulin is not required for protein synthesis in adult human beings; it is amino acids that drive protein synthesis. As yet no convincing evidence exists that a special carbohydrate-to-protein ratio makes a noticeable difference in muscle protein maintenance after exercise." People, especially bodybuilders go nuts over spiking insulin post-workout. I always thought that was rubbish. Just facilitates the onset of type II diabetes IMHO. I stick with 20-24 grms of whey protein (I'm 175 lbs) with some juice b/c it's convenient and my stomach usually needs some time before it's ready for real food. The rest of the day, it's fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean proteins - and...wait for it.... ... not too much.

Where the mostly vegetables w/ a diversity of colors? Evil grin Trent: 26+ miles at 85F? Dude. What is your (de-)hydration scheme?

Vim

I eat if I feel like I should after the exercise. Mostly porridge with jam or similar stuff. My "sport" drink is in 2:1 share ionized water and 100% vegetable-fruit juice (50-50). No energy bars or those sugary sport drinks that make your teeth feel awful afterwards for me.

Otium cum dignitate

I wish I could eat regular food post-run, but the longer I run, the less is my desire to eat anything. Is running supposed to suppress the appetite? I'll usually end up downing some kind of protein shake to get the nutrients without the feel of having eaten and then have a meal 5 or 6 hours later. Never thought of trying Doritos, though. My alarm is set for a 5AM run tomorrow ... I wonder if I have time tonight to get to Shop and Shop?
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent: 26+ miles at 85F? Dude. What is your (de-)hydration scheme?
                        I carried some water and gatorade with me in a 22 oz sports bottle. I refilled twice en route.
                        2:1 share ionized water
                        And what, pray tell, is that?
                          I And what, pray tell, is that?
                          You can read more about it here http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/alkalinewater.html In Japan water ionizers are very common. I usually refill my 3l bottle in supermarket (they have really nice mega-sized ionizer) and that lasts until next shopping. I have found it more refreshing then tap water. Some people even use it in cooking, but for me just drinking water is sufficient.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

“It does seem to me that as a group, athletes are particularly gullible,” said Michael Rennie, a physiologist at the University of Nottingham in England who studies muscle metabolism. This about sums it up.....

left-right-left-right-repeat

kcam

The only reason I eat energy bars is that they are convenient and low bulk. When doing a long hike it's easy to carry 3 or 4 of them and a bunch of water. Try carrying a bunch of pineapples, apples, bananas. I take that back - sometimes I carry the dehydrated versions.