200 Mile weeks (Read 1480 times)

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/index.jsp?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aRunner+CommunitiesForum%3a608106477Discussion%3a8691041244

For those of you who have not seen this story yet.

A little something to think about.

Thanks for posting. yes, something to think about. What determination!!

Purdey

Self anointed title

It is pretty extraordinary for a, seemingly, average runner, especially with her condition, to even consider such a stunt.  Even more extraordinary to see it through with such determination.

As a comparison, most of the world's top marathoners tend to average about 140 mpw at most. 

There was a chap called Juma Ikanga who ran 200mpw for 10 years.  He didn't break down - but then many people thought he could have achieved more on less with more intensity.

Derek Clayton ran 140 + and a few 200 mile weeks - he was always injured.

Ron Hill experimented with 160 - 200 mpw and never achieved his potential.  His best marathon came after injury enforced a drastic reduction in mileage - but he still didn't learn from that.

200 is ok for a charity stunt.  I wouldn't recommend it as the next step after completing the Couch 2 5K.

Well to tell the truth this girl ran 200 miles in 5.5 days.

Then she did an additional 14 miles just for good measure.

I am trying for 200 miles this month for the 1st time and it is a long haul.

I need to stop being a wimp I guess.

flovesparko

That is just amazing, thanks for posting.

Slow-smooth-fast

In the late 1980's my Uncle Terrence Edmondson, was a reknowned Ultra runner and in preperation for a 6 day event, before tapering, his highest mileage week was 489miles.

I couldn't beleive it when I told him that in preperation for a marathon I broke down after a few consective 70miles weeks and he did this for 7 days running.

He was a naturally talented runner and obviously a bit of a loony running for that kind of distance!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Purdey

Self anointed title

Eddy - did he find that 70 miles per day led to great success?

I am just wondering what the benefits were as the current UK No 1 at 24hrs rarely goes above 40 mpw.

Slow-smooth-fast

Eddy - did he find that 70 miles per day led to great success?

I am just wondering what the benefits were as the current UK No 1 at 24hrs rarely goes above 40 mpw.

Indeed it did for him, I have many of his running magazines he collected and he was in most of them. I cant understand the logic, too much methinks. He would be off work for months at a time with 'depression' - a mere excuse so that he could prepare for his Ultras!

He said that on  these days he would sometimes do 70 all at once or he would split it up: 25 morning, 25 afernoon, and 20 at night. (the first 2 runs of the day would be at an easy pace) and the last 20 he would try to churn them out at 6m/mile pace!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Purdey

Self anointed title

According to the UK all time running stats, your uncle ran a best of 153 for 24 hours - very, very good indeed. 

However, it is only 1 mile better than the current No 1 who runs 40 mpw.  I suspect he may have achieved more with less mileage.  Nearly 500 miles per week can only make the body weaker.

How long did he run this volume for?

Slow-smooth-fast

According to the UK all time running stats, your uncle ran a best of 153 for 24 hours - very, very good indeed. 

However, it is only 1 mile better than the current No 1 who runs 40 mpw.  I suspect he may have achieved more with less mileage.  Nearly 500 miles per week can only make the body weaker.

Im not entirely sure, he just said he peaked his mileage at this amount, so that implies just for one week. Preceeding this, the weeks would have been light: say, 300-400? Madness. Where did you find the info on him?

kcam

Maybe if the current No 1 would get semi-serious about their training and crank out some mileage he(she) would eclipse 153 miles? The previous question is slightly tongue-in-cheek but really is 40mpw optimum training for that event?  I remember Dopple Bock running a bunch more than that.  I'm no ultra guy so I don't have any idea.  One of our club members was telling me he does ultras(not sure of the distance) on 35-40mpw and is hoping to run a sub 3 marathon next year when he turns 60, also on 35-40mpw.  Last marathon he ran was 3:09 on this mileage, 59 years old!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Maybe if the current No 1 would get semi-serious about their training and crank out some mileage he(she) would eclipse 153 miles? The previous question is slightly tongue-in-cheek but really is 40mpw optimum training for that event?  I remember Dopple Bock running a bunch more than that. 

Ken - you should know better than this.  The guy I am talking about is 50 years old.  He is the number one in the UK and was/is in the top 10 in the world.  He is also one of the last remaining London Marathon "Ever presents" (ie has run every single one).  He happens to be the only person to have run them all well under 3 hrs. 

In the past he has run much higher mileage - but has found that around 40 is his sweet spot.  Only an individual can know their optimum training level.  I suspect that he also does rather a lot of "cross training".  He is a supreme athlete - given his age... extraordinary.  His philosophy is that it is better to arrive with fresh legs than with months of 100mpw.  It works for him.

DoppleBock trained like a man possessed - and that was right for him.  He also did not run as far as our 40 mpw man - so you work it out.

Eddy - check this out:  (but bear in mind that these records are woefully out of date!!!!!!!!!)

http://www.gbrathletics.com/uk/mc99.htm

Extract:

24 HOURS
                          274.480km    Dave Dowdle (ENG)             7.11.54  1   Gloucester           23 May 1982
                          268.251km    Don Ritchie (SCO)             6.07.44  1   London (He)          27 Oct 1991
                                       260.503km                              1   Birmingham (Un)       9 Aug 1992
                          263.466km    Mark Pickard (ENG)            8.03.60  1   London (He)          11 Oct 1981
                          259.603km    Ron Bentley (ENG)            10.11.30  1   Walton-on-Thames      4 Nov 1973
                                       5 performances to 259.603km by 4 athletes
                          256.513km    Paul Bream (ENG)             20.10.44  1   Frechen, GER         26 Jun 1988
                          255.760km    Mike Newton (ENG)             1.11.44  2   London (He)          11 Oct 1981
                          254.819km    James Zarei (ENG<IRI)        13.01.44  1   Izegem, BEL           2 Jul 1989
                          254.000km>+  Patrick Macke (ENG<NED)      18.06.55  m   Montauban, FRA       16 Mar 1985
                          251.459km    Tom Roden (ENG)               9.10.46  1   London (CP)          16 Oct 1977
                          250.461km    Mick Francis (SCO)           18.09.58  2   London (He)          27 Oct 1991 10
                          249.060km    Dave Goodwin (ENG)           16.07.46  3   London (He)          11 Oct 1981
                          248.960km    Derek Reynolds (ENG)              .14  2   Motspur Park         21 Nov 1953
                          247.275km    Dave Jones (ENG)             11.04.44  1   London (CP)          28 Oct 1979
                          247.210km    Dave Cooper (ENG)            14.10.34  1   Chevilly-Larue, FRA  16 Jun 1985
                          245.272km    Martin Daykin (ENG)          14.06.47  1   Chelmsley Wood       14 Jul 1985
                          244.393km    Terry Edmondson (ENG)         9.09.45  1   Doncaster            29 May 1988

24 HOURS (ROAD)
                          254.823km    Paul Bream (ENG)             20.10.44  1   Bray, IRL            31 May 1987
                          253.701km    Patrick Macke (ENG<NED)      18.06.55  1   Plzen, CZE            8 Aug 1993
                          251.063km    Terry Edmondson (ENG)         9.09.45  1   Preston              30 Aug 1987

kcam

Ken - you should know better than this. 

I should ... but I don't!  I've never run more than 26.2 miles at one time and I imagine it's a totally different ballgame at the ultra distances.   I was amazed in talking to the club member I referenced earlier at how well he ran with such 'low' mileage.  I guess Eddy's uncle was at the other extreme of the spectrum as it looks like he had some stellar results.  I'd be interested in learning how Mr. Edmondson tapered from a 469 mile week!

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'd be interested in learning how Mr. Edmondson tapered from a 469 mile week!

Indeed.  I like to drop to 50% of previous mileage.  So that would take Uncle Terrence to a measly 235 mile week - should be enough to put plenty of bounce back in the legs.

And to think I was really proud of myself when I ran 11.5 miles on Saturday - geez!

I think it takes a special type of personality to be able to put in that kind of mileage.  I peaked at 74 in a week, and it felt like I was either running, getting ready to run, or recovering from a run.  And that's when I was on summer break from college with the summer job being done...I had nothing else to do!  I was running my best when my mileage was around 50-60...each time I pushed toward 70 I had injury issues.

Somewhere, the line where diminishing returns begin occurs...its further along if you are a marathoner than if you are a 5K runner, but you'd think that line comes somewhere before 200 miles in a week...