Garmin 410 Discontinued - Reason? (Read 451 times)

LRB

I just bought a refurbished 410 on eBay directly from Garmin with a warranty, knowing that it was a dying breed.  I love it for the price I paid and don't mind the touch bezel at all.  I guess it all just depends on your expectations.

+1

I bought my 410 new and the only issues I have had with it is during speed work when I sometimes forget which button to push, so that's really my problem.

I have worn it with the bezel locked and unlocked under long sleeves and have not had any problems.

The bezel works okay with one pair of gloves, not so much with two pair.

Still, for $150.00 (w/ heart rate monitor) you will not hear me complaining too much.  That thing was literally a steal for what it can do!

einepyk

Having read about the problems with the bezel I hesitated before buying one - but eventually did so because I needed a watch on which I could configure the various screens to display a single item of data in a very large font. (So I can read it without glasses!)

Initially I struggled with the bezel, but soon found that I could work around the shortcomings.

I have the screens set up to display elapsed time, distance, average pace,  and average HR, set auto scroll and lock the bezel. It works every time and does everything I ask of it.

So don't be put off by all the negative comments - it's not perfect but it certainly isn't bad, and I'm very happy with mine!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I had the 405 since 2011 and loved it, the wrist straps broke a week ago (had no idea I could take them off to clean, AND I wore that thing swimming and in the shower/tub). I immediately purchased the 410 off Amazon, yeah the bezel is finicky but I don't mind because the watch gets the job done for me. If I wanted something with all the bells and whistles and was 100% reliable I would pay up the ass for it. Cool

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

+100

+1

I bought my 410 new and the only issues I have had with it is during speed work when I sometimes forget which button to push, so that's really my problem.

I have worn it with the bezel locked and unlocked under long sleeves and have not had any problems.

The bezel works okay with one pair of gloves, not so much with two pair.

Still, for $150.00 (w/ heart rate monitor) you will not hear me complaining too much.  That thing was literally a steal for what it can do!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

bluerun

Super B****

I had the 405 since 2011 and loved it, the wrist straps broke a week ago (had no idea I could take them off to clean, AND I wore that thing swimming and in the shower/tub). I immediately purchased the 410 off Amazon, yeah the bezel is finicky but I don't mind because the watch gets the job done for me. If I wanted something with all the bells and whistles and was 100% reliable I would pay up the ass for itCool

Does such a thing exist??  Because I DID pay up the ass for my 310, and it. is. driving. me. to. drink.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Does such a thing exist??  Because I DID pay up the ass for my 310, and it. is. driving. me. to. drink.

Eh, I guess the more bells and whistles, the more chances of it sucking Big grin

PRs

bluerun

Super B****

Eh, I guess the more bells and whistles, the more chances of it sucking Big grin

Exactly why I'm seriously considering buying the most basic model... because three Garmins aren't enough for one person!!  Angry

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I believe they all have their issues, its just what set of issues you want less.  The 110 and 210 have limited features and require a wired computer connection to upload data.  The 300 series are BIG.  The 400 series have the crazy bezel, but other than that drawback are pretty solid.  The 610 is my favorite with loads of features, but it is expensive and the magnetic charging clip can be quirky for some people (though I've had no problems it).  The 900 series really doesn't appeal to me as a runner-only.  They are expensive and bulky.

My wife still has a 410, and she manages with it.  I have a 610 now, and love it!!  It was well-worth the money paid.

CT JEFF

The 405CX is going for 159.99 w/ HRM on Amazon right now.  Pretty nice price and I might have to deal with the agitation to get the features and price (and HRM!) to get the discount.  I don't anticipate needing the bezel while running, so I don't think I'd care that I had to lock it.

$109 on Walmart. Refurbished.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

CT JEFF

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the only issues I have had with it is during speed work when I sometimes forget which button to push, so that's really my problem

I disagree. Basic human factors research teaches us that user error if very often really a design error. If the interface is too complex to support basic functionality (e.g., pressing the correct button during normal usage), that is not your error.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I disagree. Basic human factors research teaches us that user error if very often really a design error. If the interface is too complex to support basic functionality (e.g., pressing the correct button during normal usage), that is not your error.

I agree, in a lot of cases.  Like the friggin' ridiculous cruise control set-up on my DH's Toyota Rav 4.  They put the whole shebang on a separate little stalk sort of below the windshield wipers stalk, instead of on the steering wheel, like everyone else.  And it's not the least bit intuitive.  Every time I get in his car I have to re-learn how to use the thing to avoid speeding tickets.

<--- lead-foot

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bunch of whiners.....

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

CT JEFF

Bunch of whiners.....

Hear here!

I agree intuitive design is a nice value feature. But I tony think the Gamin company discontinued the line because some people want to push the middle button when they should push the bottom button.

The main issue now is: do you own one / was it a good purchase? And - for a device originally at $360, are the inconveniences worth the cost of $109?

I read a review where there early Garmin Fenix's had some waterproofing issues, but that they are now corrected. That is the model I really would love to have, but for $400-$450, not worth it yet for me.

drrbradford

Maybe because the touch bezel control is the worst user interface control ever? I have a 405 and bought it knowing that it was an issue, so I'm allowed to say that. Wink

Have you used the full touchscreen 610 or whatever? I'd guess not if you think that the bezel is bad.