Building up my base (Read 154 times)

Snunicycler

Ok so i've tried and injured myself twice during my marathon training and one of the comments was that i am building up my runs too fast. The marathon i planned on running in April is going to be held in October so i was thinking i should take the advice i was given, and build a base up gradually. Unfortunately i don't really know what that really means...

When i'm NOT following a marathon training schedule, what should i do?

Three to four runs per week of equal lengths? so maybe, three 5 mile runs per week, then build to 3x6, then 3x7? etc...

Two to three short runs with a moderate run? 2x5 & a 7, then eventually 2x6 & an 8? on so on...

Or... something else entirely?

Then i also need to incorporate some sort of cross training to help avoid injury- thoughts on what i can do at home with limited equipment?

This is probably an incredibly stupid question, but the only running i've ever done with consistency is to train for something, either a 5k, half, marathon, etc. and i've never really worked on my "base"

THANKS!

GinnyinPA

What has worked for me in the past when I've been building up after a layoff is to run 5 days a week, increasing the total mileage by 5 miles a month. That can be a one time jump of 5 miles and hold, or just gradually increasing by 5 miles. i.e. 25 miles a week becomes 30 miles a week to 35. I spread the increase over the week, not just one or two days. Last time I went from 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 to 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, to 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 to 6, 8, 6, 8, 12.

Christirei

Can you make your log public so we can see what you are currently doing?

How many miles do you average weekly? I think the first thing you might think of is adding days, if you are only running three days per week you probably need to think about getting up to at least five days per week. so if you miles per day need to be low for a while so you can focus on that, do that until you feel comfortable, then start building mileage after that

are you using a foam roller after you run?

if you need simple things to do at home to help with injury prevention there are all sorts of youtube videos about things runners can do, most people do some lunges (forward, reverse, lateral, curtsey) , glute bridges, calf raises, squats (sumo, jump, split), rdl's and that sort of thing to support the muscles in your legs that aren't used as much in running and to support your knees and ankles well

Can you make your log public so we can see what you are currently doing?

How many miles do you average weekly? I think the first thing you might think of is adding days, if you are only running three days per week you probably need to think about getting up to at least five days per week. so if you miles per day need to be low for a while so you can focus on that, do that until you feel comfortable, then start building mileage after that

I’d echo all this. 
          And in general I would not make all the runs equal distance. There should still be a longer run once a week. And maybe one where you add a little speed, even with just some strides. But for anything longer or with more intensity, bracket it with short/easy days (or rest).

Dave

i was thinking i should take the advice i was given, and build a base up gradually. Unfortunately i don't really know what that really means...

Your base is the average miles per week that you run over a period of several (at least two or three) months.  A minimum base for a marathoner is about 40 miles per week, with 50 miles per week even better.  Getting that many miles usually means running at least five, and preferably six or seven, days per week.  Two shorter runs in one day is also good.

Some runs should be longer, others shorter.

Also, what everybody else said.

SMART Approach

Have you perfected running a 10K or half? New marathoners often get injured because they are not fit enough to train for a marathon nor even understand how to train. Most struggle to pace or train properly for even shorter races. A marathon is a different animal. Newbies often train themselves to run inefficiently always digging and utilizing carbs as the primary energy source meaning training paces are too fast. You want to train the body to utilize more fats in your runs and this comes with easier runs, more miles and a gradual build up. We always want to rush the process.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you don't know what base training is, you have likely not done your homework which is part of the running journey. You would benefit from having a coach. For you, I would run 4-5 days per week for next 12 - 16 weeks and run comfortably slow.  This will set you up for steady progress and building your running body and handle stresses of volume training. Also, Google and/or purchase a couple running books and educate yourself on training principles and base training. Resistance training is also very important. What have your weekly miles been the last 6 months?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Snunicycler

Cool, thanks everyone! I thought I had seen advice that running more than 4 times per week puts you at greater risk of injury so i tried to stick to less than that, perhaps i misunderstood? probably...

To answer your questions: I'll try to get my log put on this site, i had just been keeping a spreadsheet, and i'm not currently using a schedule. Before i hurt myself i was averaging about 3.5 runs per week, with increasing mileage that followed the plan i had. Totals for the last 6 weeks (for example) before i got hurt was: 19, 12 (a recovery week), 18, 21, 22, 22.5. My last week was 3 (hills), 2.5 (sprints), 3 easy, 14.

I wouldn't say that I've "perfected" a 10k or a Half, but I've reached both. Two days before my last injury i ran 14 without any real pain. The injury came half a mile into the next run after the 14. during my training I've had several runs of 6 miles and longer.

Your right, i don't know what a typical base looks like, i thought i did, but clearly i'm mistaken. The program i followed started with essentially the couch to 5k level so my assumption was that those beginner runs for the 8 weeks (10k was at 8 weeks) were basically the base. You can see the plan here (it's for women, but i won't tell if you dont...)https://www.womensrunning.com/training/go-couch-marathon-training-plan/

I do have a foam roller but every other video i watch has different instructions so who knows if i'm doing it right, it hurts like crazy so i assume i am. I'll add more squats/lunges/etc. in the future. that is certainly easy enough to do at home without any equipment, thanks!

JRMichler, you said marathoners have a base of 40 or 50 miles per week... Is that before starting a training schedule? if you see the schedule i linked, the PEAK of the training is going to be about 36 miles (at least at my 10 minute pace) per week-3 weeks before the marathon. So you're saying that most marathoners are running 40 miles per week before they start their marathon training? Interesting, you can see how i can get confused about this though, right? Hahaha. Thanks for the wake up call though, i didn't realize how terribly low my mileage was!

Christirei

most around this forum are going to advise you to up that mileage before starting a marathon plan. I would definitely say that a solid base to start marathon training would be six months to a year of comfortable running around the forty mile per week mark. The  Running Ahead motto : Run lots, sometimes hard, mostly easy

i would guess you are getting injured because you are doing three very low mileage runs (3.2.3) and then a monster long run (14) i think your long run is not supposed to be over 25% of your total weekly mileage?? that's not quite right and someone will correct me, but something like that. if you are only running eight miles during the week, i wouldn't run more than four or five max for your long weekend run. Also, building your base implies that you are running quantity over quality, right now you have three runs per week that are high quality, meaning hard work (hills, sprints, and long effort) but only one easy recovery run, that should be flipped... you need mostly easy with maybe one hard day per week. i would think with where you are i would try four runs per week but change your distance, maybe 3, 5, and 2 then add in a long effort at 7 or 8 and see how that goes. if you feel okay then add in another day, 3, 5, 2, 3, and 7/8 and from there start increasing your mileage, gradually adding a half mile to a mile to one or two runs per week. and don't be ashamed to be running slow, your easy miles should be easy, running to hard and fast all of the time will lead to those injuries you keep alluding to

good luck

CalBears

bulletproof training plan - first week is an easy one - just run 80 mpw at any pace, next week - 90 miles  the same easy pace, the third week - 100 miles  - as soon as you reached 100 mpw, just stay there - don't go overboard!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Snunicycler

Chrisirei: that makes sense. I think for the most part 5-6 miles at a time is my comfort zone for an easy run, i was just taking the others so easy due to the longer runs - everyone said to only add 10% per week to avoid injury, so i cut my other runs short... haha, i think i've been doing all of this backwards. I'll try your suggestion when i'm back to running again. I don't think it will take me too long to get to four 4-5 mile runs per week, i had several of those earlier in the trianing before the long runs really took off and felt great! I'll try not to rush it, especially since i'm hurt. Thanks again!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Christi gave you some solid info. I would add, once you are healthy, maybe try to add a fifth day if you are able. It makes it easier to have enough miles to support a longer long run. I've trained a lot with the long run around 30% of my total weekly mileage. The bulk of easy runs are there to support the long run, but the long run is not the most important part of training. No one run makes or breaks training.

For cross-training, even simple things like squats, lunges, pushups, stretching and other body weight exercises are good. Swimming and yoga are pretty complimentary, but find what you like. If you don't like it, you won't do it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

John Wood

As an older runner here who as finally settled into doing marathons on what I think is a reasonable weekly mileage, put this where you can see it every day.

Run lots, mostly slow, some fast. 

As many here have said, best advice ever, and it took me a few years for it to sink in. Gradually build up to 5, or even 7 days a week. Think of your former rest days as active recovery days and do a real easy 20 minutes or so on those days if you can. Cut your long runs back to just and hour and a half or so at first, until you get comfortable with around 40 miles or so a week, and keep them easy.  

Good luck.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Run lots, mostly slow, some fast. 

This is really all you need to start running anything above a 10K. It's just like the Michael Pollan nutritional advice that's just as simple: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Don't overthink it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flyrunnr

bulletproof training plan - first week is an easy one - just run 80 mpw at any pace, next week - 90 miles  the same easy pace, the third week - 100 miles  - as soon as you reached 100 mpw, just stay there - don't go overboard!

Cal - I’m going to credit you when I follow this BTP (bulletproof training plan) and get a moose mug! 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Cal - I’m going to credit you when I follow this BTP (bulletproof training plan) and get a moose mug! 

Why has nobody suggested this simple plan: Run one mile the first week, double it and run two the second week, double that for the third week, etc. You'll be amazed where you are after a year.