Running in the Dark (Read 1213 times)

Im sure some of you all run in the dark. I have tried to get used to it a couple of times, with the short days I can only run on a Dreadmill or give it up to the darkness four days a week. Where I run it is rural America black top streets with no street lights, oncoming motorists rarely dim their lights trying to figure out what this nut is doing running in the road in pitch black. The upsides are you cant see the smirks on the faces of the FatA** drivers when they go by giving you the " I can run that fast look", and no UV rays. Crysummertime please come back Cry anyone else?
    I love to eat, therefore I must run!
      I kind of like running in the dark. I wouldn't want it to be every run, but there is a certain serenity to it. Plus I really like an excuse to wear my headlamp. Overall, I'm impressed with how courteous most of the drivers are around here. Last night there were a few high-beamers, but most played nice, dimming lights and giving a wide berth.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Just Be

Im sure some of you all run in the dark. I have tried to get used to it a couple of times, with the short days I can only run on a Dreadmill or give it up to the darkness four days a week. Where I run it is rural America black top streets with no street lights, oncoming motorists rarely dim their lights trying to figure out what this nut is doing running in the road in pitch black. The upsides are you cant see the smirks on the faces of the FatA** drivers when they go by giving you the " I can run that fast look", and no UV rays. Crysummertime please come back Cry anyone else?
        I only run in the dark on extremly low traffic streets or deserted trails. Sounds like you might be running on dark high speed streets. The oncoming headlights totally blind you to road debris, not good. Over time, skipping a few night runs if streets like that are your only option is going to be more healty for you than getting hit by a car or tripping and breaking something or falling into the path of an oncoming car. Shocked
          I feel your pain. I stick it out on the treadmill during the week then run outside on the weekends. The parks that I run through don't have any lighting and I live downtown so I don't really feel safe running around at night. Even though the city is well lit it is a pain in the butt to have to stop at all the lights.

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Yeah, running in the dark sucks. I tripped over a chunk of our well maintained roads yesterday morning and did the old tuck and roll thing. Surprisingly enough I came through it with minimal gravel rash. It may be time to check out some of the newer headlamps. LED technology has made some major advances lately. Tom

Feeling the growl again

I did it last night, first time since I moved last year when it was pitch black. Red blinky tail light, bright white LED headlamp, reflective vest, running against traffic on nearly deserted country roads. In 50min I was passed by maybe 8 cars. Of course, one coming from the rear (with plenty of room on the opposite side of the road) felt the need to blast their horn at me. There's always one jerk. Just be safe, and assume no one can see you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I do it every day, except on weekends, and have to admit I sort of like it. As with spaniel, I wear a headlamp, back flasher and vest. Typically, I run after my kid goes to bed, which is about 9:00. That means sometimes I don't get out until 10:00 or 11:00. I know some folks have trouble sleep right after excerise, but it doesn't seem to bother me. I used to run right after work, but I'm starting to like running later at night better. I'm not sure what I'll do in the spring when I have the option of running in the day light. I'll probably go back to running right after work. So far running in the dark has been trouble free. I should mention, however, I live in a suburb with a lot of other runners, and I think most of the auto traffic around isn't that surprised to see a guy running at night.
                  I have been doing a majority of my runs late at night. I usually wear reflective anklets and if it gets cold (close to 32)... I'll put on a orange hunters knit cap that I purchased at walmart for $1.99. I own a Nike pulsating indigo arm band, but I did not find it to be comfortable. My recommendations 1. Passive: Reflective Clothing and Anklets 2. Active: Led Blinker

Vim

I do a lot of running at night also. I don't wear the lights - because I get less heckling when the drivers can't see me. I'm fortunate that almost all my running routes have sidewalks. I do the headlamp thing for a park trail, though.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I don't wear the lights - because I get less heckling when the drivers can't see me.
                      What you failed to mention is that you formally went all out when it came to blink blink... Click here: If you really care to be seen at night! aka for those who go all out with the LED blink blink. <--they do have some interesting stuff there. check out the electric nervous system! :o) check out the faq too... what kinds of things do people say to you when you're wearing light-up clothing? do="" have="" some="" interesting="" stuff="" there.="" check="" out="" the="" electric="" nervous="" system!="" :o)="" check="" out="" the="" faq="" too...="" what="" kinds="" of="" things="" do="" people="" say="" to="" you="" when="" you're="" wearing="" light-up=""></--they do have some interesting stuff there. check out the electric nervous system! :o) check out the faq too... what kinds of things do people say to you when you're wearing light-up clothing?>

Vim

Just Be

For some reason, in my neighborhood, deer seem to love running in front of me and cutting me off when I'm jogging at night. Almost having a huge heavy animal t-bone me kinda messes with my heart rate just a bit. Big grin
                          What you failed to mention is that you formally went all out when it came to blink blink... Click here: If you really care to be seen at night! aka for those who go all out with the LED blink blink. <--they do="" have="" some="" interesting="" stuff="" there.="" check="" out="" the="" electric="" nervous="" system!="" :o)="" check="" out="" the="" faq="" too...="" what="" kinds="" of="" things="" do="" people="" say="" to="" you="" when="" you're="" wearing="" light-up=""></--they>
                          Those are cool, Modal. May be fun for El Scorcho this year.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds a bit like my neck of the woods. I did my first after dark run last week and 6/7 cars (on otherwise deserted road, so no reason for them to not move over into the facing lane a bit) gave me no space, so I ended up having to run in snowbanks (the shoulder wasn't cleared at all). I had a single LED flashy thing, but now have ordered a reflective "harness" thing to use in addition to an LED blinky thing. I kind of liked running after the sun set, but the safety issue made me nervous. I know the cars could see me, I think they just didn't care. The one car that did give me a wide berth was a Suburban--the vehicle that had the least to lose if he had hit me. runner92, I hear you on the deer thing...though it is often I scaring the crap out of the deer (apparently I run pretty quietly...?), not the reverse. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

go Care Bear go!

Sounds like many of you run at night. I have darkness to deal with in the morning, but it's nice to start in the dark and see the sun coming up or even finish in daylight. Around here, there is far less traffic at 5am than at 9 or 10pm. After learning the hard way (i.e. fell flat on my belly, elbow etc) a year ago or so, I got a headlamp which has been great for runs in the dark. I feel like a miner and probably look like a dork but at least I can see where I'm going. My beef with the early morning drivers is that when it is sort of light out, so they think they can see without their headlights. But... I can't see THEM and my reflective gear is useless if they don't have their headlights on. Minor gripe, but I always get annoyed when I see this. Stay safe out there, everyone.
                                Hi, I have accepted running in the cold and dark and it's really not that bad. Most drivers are respectful and get out of the way. A headlamp is key for visibility. Also, check out www.illuminite.com for some really good night running clothes that will make even the worst driver see you.