Running in the Dark (Read 1213 times)

Gotta TRI

I'm not a big fan of running in the dark, but due to tha shorter days right now.. I wear the LL Bean headlamp and am comfortable with it. My wife also has the headlamp but carries it. Drives me crazy as the light is bouncing around everywhere. If I had my druthers, I'd run during the day. Andy
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
    Krisruns

I am an early morning runner so often run in the dark. Like that there are fewer cars than there are at nighttime, although they still rarely give me room on the road. I wear some reflective clothing and a flashing light that wraps around my wrist that I got at RoadID.com. I have done the headlamp thing but find it uncomfortable when I am wearing an earband instead of a baseball cap, and in the cold weather I need the warmer gear. I agree 1) it is AWESOME to run under a full moon in the early morning; 2) don't ever expect that motorists see you and 3) even if they see you, don't expect that they are willing to share the road. Most are oblivious to runners and pedestrians.
      Timbodeener

I have an El-cheapo headlamp (Energizer 6-LED) that I got at Wal-mart and the setting that gives a "diffussed" light instead of a spot light is much less annoying with the "bouncing light" issue. Where I run there are no streetlamps and it is pretty dark without a headlamp.
          The forecast for Boston on Friday called for possible thunderstorms up until 9pm. I set my alarm for a quick nap, got up at 9:00 and headed out into the darkness. The air temp was really nice, but apparently the ground was colder. I had done most of my base route without any problems, then I turned a corner and hit a good sized patch of black ice. I lucked out, my right hand and knee and left elbow hit the ice patch when I went down. The damage seemed to be lessened by skidding rather than sticking on impact, and I was able to finish my run at a very cautious pace. I normally enjoy running at night, but I'll have to be more vigilant until New England thaws out for good.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I love running in the dark. If I run on the streets, I always stick to the sub-developments and normally hop on the sidewalk when there is a car coming from behind. Never had any issues yet. I also run on the bike trail at night. The one nearest my house goes behind some developments or paralells the street about 50% of thw way. So its pretty clear. The only concern are animals jumping out. So far no problems. Although some mystery animal did run with me a bit Friday night. But we generally dont have anything more vicious than deer in these parts, and the occasional fox. I do always take my phone with me when hitting the deserted trail. HAvent broken out the hat with the attached flashlight yet--but I probably will if I decide to hit the trail if theres any snow on the ground.
              I haven't used it yet, but I have a Doberman Power Button armband. It is mainly a personal alarm, but it has a flashing light on it as well. I'm considering wearing it now that I'm running outside on a regular basis.

Michelle

Running in the dark is my favorite. I've never used a head lamp, I tend to stay away from any more gear then shoes and a watch. I find that after a couple minutes my eyes are adjusted to the night and I see clearly.... Maybe I have cat eyes, I don't know... I don't like running in the day, I hate wearing sunglasses because of swet. But thats just me... Give me the night. I have squished a dead raccoon before, that wasn't cool...
                HOSS1961

I haven't used it yet, but I have a Doberman Power Button armband. It is mainly a personal alarm, but it has a flashing light on it as well. I'm considering wearing it now that I'm running outside on a regular basis.
                  Does a Dobbie appear when you push the alarm??? Wink
                  HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                  HOSS1961

I run at least 60% of my runs in the dark (early morning) in town or surrounding neighborhoods. I wear a reflective vest. I like the early morning runs. It is less traffic and much quieter. It always seems to be less going on in the mornings to distract you from running...not counting sleep of course.
                    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                      Does a Dobbie appear when you push the alarm??? Wink
                      That might be easier to cope with compared to the ear-piercing sound it makes when you push the alarm!

Michelle

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I wear a baseball hat and tip my head down if the jerk won't turn off the beams... Cool
                        -Jen
                        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                          I wear a baseball hat and tip my head down if the jerk won't turn off the beams... Cool
                          I hate that! Sometimes I think it's just my eyes being overly sensitive, I'm always tipping my head down to block out headlights.

Michelle

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I humbly suggest the following: the 1400-lumen Lupine Betty headlamp. That's roughly as bright as a car headlight, and can be set to a strobe mode that people on the space station would notice. did

For safety gear I am super pleased with my Amphipod Xinglet. I need to get one of these. They look really cool.
                              They sell them at Eastern Mountain sports in Annapolis Harbor center. That is what I use and I love it. I do all my running at night (at least so far, since October) and have been wearing the amphipod since the first couple of weeks. I definitely notice the drivers see me much sooner now. I am also fortunate that the area I run in has little traffic and fairly frequent streetlights.
                                I too run in the dark when I run during the week. I start at 5:00 AM usually. I run with a reflective vest and a flashing red LED running light. Part of my run takes place in the neighborhoods, but I do run 2 - 3 miles on a fairly busy road. Like others have said the thing that annoys me most is when there is no other car to be found and they don't move over at all. I also get irritated with the bright lights, but I find most people will dim for me.
                                "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                                My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com