How to pace my 10k/15k/20k to prep for half? (Read 694 times)

xhristopher

Hey D, Make sure you check in and let us know what you learned.

Oh, and don't mess it up!!

Mmmmm...beer

41:35, with pretty even pacing, I'm very happy.  I think it bodes well for my sub-1:30 goal for my half in March.

Splits:

1 - 6:45

2 - 6:47

3 - 6:45

4 - 6:44

5 - 6:44

6 - 6:41

.2- 6:05

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

xhristopher

Nice. Steady with a slight negative split, an honest assessment if your current fitness. Keep it rolling.

Resident Historian

emo-thumbup Very nicely paced.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks!

I was just updating my signature and realized that I just ran my 10k 1 second slower than my 8k from last June, so I figured I'd remove the 8k from my sig since it's completely irrelevant at this point. lol

-Dave

My running blog

No more marathons

Perfect - congratulations - I could see that one coming.

You are now right on the edge of that sub 20 5K.  Next weekend might be a little too soon - hard to tell if the race this weekend will take a toll.  But you must exercise the same discipline in pacing.  First mile cannot be faster than 6:25 and you must really concentrate on mile 2 - it is really easy to suffer a mental letdown unless you focus at that point.  If you can hold pace for mile two, then mile three should be in the bag.  Good luck.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Mmmmm...beer

Perfect - congratulations - I could see that one coming.

You are now right on the edge of that sub 20 5K.  Next weekend might be a little too soon - hard to tell if the race this weekend will take a toll.  But you must exercise the same discipline in pacing.  First mile cannot be faster than 6:25 and you must really concentrate on mile 2 - it is really easy to suffer a mental letdown unless you focus at that point.  If you can hold pace for mile two, then mile three should be in the bag.  Good luck.

Thanks!  I usually recover pretty quickly, so I think I'll be ready for next week's 5k.  I will definitely heed your advice.

-Dave

My running blog

Julia1971

Nice. Steady with a slight negative split, an honest assessment if your current fitness. Keep it rolling.

+1.  Very nicely done.  Smile

Thanks!  I usually recover pretty quickly, so I think I'll be ready for next week's 5k.  I will definitely heed your advice.

Goodness Dave, great run!  You ran your splits about a full 1:15 faster than me today.  (Well, I did the 20k version vice the 10k out there as you know), but I can't come anywhere close to 6:something, even in a 5K, that is excellent!  Glad to see you get a 10K PB that almost matched your 8K PB, that is cool too.  I'd have left it in the sig line, but dated it to show the progress :-)

You look in great shape for that Frosty 5k and possibly a sub-20.  I had already committed to the "Mud in your eye" series that has a race the same weekend, so will be there instead.  And isn't that something, you know you live in a running community when you have to decide between which race you will do, even in early January.   But yep, if you can do a 6:45 for a 10K, sure makes close to a 6:30 per mile on the 5K seem a possibility for that < 20:00 5k.  Good Luck!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mmmmm...beer

Goodness Dave, great run!  You ran your splits about a full 1:15 faster than me today.  (Well, I did the 20k version vice the 10k out there as you know), but I can't come anywhere close to 6:something, even in a 5K, that is excellent!  Glad to see you get a 10K PB that almost matched your 8K PB, that is cool too.  I'd have left it in the sig line, but dated it to show the progress :-)

You look in great shape for that Frosty 5k and possibly a sub-20.  I had already committed to the "Mud in your eye" series that has a race the same weekend, so will be there instead.  And isn't that something, you know you live in a running community when you have to decide between which race you will do, even in early January.   But yep, if you can do a 6:45 for a 10K, sure makes close to a 6:30 per mile on the 5K seem a possibility for that < 20:00 5k.  Good Luck!

Thanks Kris!  Good to see you again, and good job on your 20k!  We are definitely spoiled in this area for running, I love it!

-Dave

My running blog

Mmmmm...beer

Giving this a lil bump, since my 20k is coming up in a couple of weeks.  The 15k got canceled due to weather.

I'm a little concerned about only having 3 weeks between the 20k and my half, is that enough time to recover from a good effort at the 20k?  I do recover very quickly, but I don't want to sabotage my half.

Do I try to go for the same 6:45 pace, or slow it down a lil?

You'll see in my log that I lost some mileage in Jan due to ITB problems.  All is well now, not a peep for the last few weeks.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Giving this a lil bump, since my 20k is coming up in a couple of weeks.  The 15k got canceled due to weather.

I'm a little concerned about only having 3 weeks between the 20k and my half, is that enough time to recover from a good effort at the 20k?  I do recover very quickly, but I don't want to sabotage my half.

Do I try to go for the same 6:45 pace, or slow it down a lil?

You'll see in my log that I lost some mileage in Jan due to ITB problems.  All is well now, not a peep for the last few weeks.  Smile

Congratulations on that 10k! I must have missed seeing your update last month.

Without (a) knowing how you felt while running your 6:42 pace 10k and (b) having that 15k in the middle, anyone who tells you to go out and run the 20k at essentially the same pace as the 10k is giving you bad advise. Maybe you can handle a 6:45 pace for the 20k, maybe you will blow up. Blowing up isn't the end of the world but I bet you'd rather finish strong and feel confident going into the 1/2 Marathon.

Since I don't actually know the right answer to your question I did some math.

What I did was use your 5k and 10k performances to generate a natural log relationship between PR effort and Racing Distance for you. It's a rough metric but it's what I do with my own race performances and it seems to be better at predicting future race results than any of the online calculators. What I came up with was:

y = -0.237*ln(x) + 9.3934

Where y is speed in miles/hour and x is distance in miles.

The fact that there are only 2 data pints makes this very unreliable as does the fact that you only have 1x 10k and 3x 5k from which to draw your PRs but this relationship might still give you a ballpark estimate of how fast you could run for distances similar to the 5k-10k range.

I think that 20k (12.5 miles) and the Half (13.11 miles) are probably too far to extrapolate from the data but if we do so anyway the equation suggests that both races should be run at ~6:50 min/mile pace which would give you the following finish times:

20km: 1:25:17

HM: 1:29:33

I doubt that any of this actually helps, but I'll be cheering for you either way. Good luck!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks!  I like your math, since my goal for the half is sub 1:30. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Nice job on the 10k PR and good luck on the 20k. I like delucj's math too. Actually made my head hurt this early in the am.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Thanks, but be careful with that math...I think it's good for around the distances you're looking at but if you go too far from the data it says that you can run a 3:02:31 marathon which you should be able to do with some more training and a 12:02:43 for 100 Miles (7:14 pace) which is a bit more unlikely. The more races you run the better the math will get Smile

Good luck!