What do you do while running? (Read 1927 times)

I am not sure if anybody asked this question before.

What do you do during running?

Sometimes I feel it is so wasting of time when running 1, 2 or 3 hours day after day. I don't take any audio device, sometimes just daydreaming. lol

Do you listen to an audio book, learning a foreign language, or any other multitasking?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Wandering Wally

Sometimes I just enjoy the uninterrupted quiet time.  Often I use the time to catch up on my podcast listening.  I think through problems from work.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Meditation would be great. Have you tried not thinking at all? I only achieved once for a couple seconds, no imagination, no memory recall, but just blank. It was so joyful.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Butter Tart

I let my mind go where it wants. This could include:

• observing nature and whatever else is around me.
          • watching the sun rise.
          • thinking through problems.
          • planning meals or the day's activities.
          • praying.
          • worrying about getting re-injured.
          • keeping an eye on my pace.
          • planning where I would run to if I was attacked.
          • thinking about the other runners I see (not so many others around these days -- it's too cold and dark when I run).
          • thinking about work stuff.
          • deciding on Christmas gifts.

The Plodder

I am pretty much like Butter Tart, I let my mind wonder. At the end of some runs, I know that I have run my intended route but don't really remember running it.

Better I Leave

"C'mon Dave! Just 1 more mile and you can ease up. Yeah, easy...keep it up. You can do it! See! You made another mile with no sweat! Now don't let up now! Do another mile man! You did the last one easily. You can do it again...go go go! Excellent! Look! You're halfway there! You're on the backend now! You can't quit! Just think about all the calories you're burning! You can have a cheeseburger or some ice cream when you're done, but you gotta finish and you're looking strong. Another mile down! Way to go. Keep going!"

**giggle** Cool

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yep, Butter Tart has nailed it.

kcam

I've heard some people poop their pants.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I run BC (before coffee), so sometimes I think about how wonderful that hot cup of coffee is going to taste when I get home. Sometimes I run faster because of it. Other times I do what butter tart does. I do run with my ipod, but with only one earbud.

sugnim

Doing something while running would defeat the purpose of running for me.  I love the zone-out mediation time to just enjoy the way it feels to move through the atmosphere, soak in the weather, and look at the mountains, trees, rivers, & wildlife.  For me, running is decidedly anti-multitasking; in fact, it is task free & all play.

npaden

I listen to podcasts, music, think, etc.

I listen to podcast sermons from the Hills church of Christ and I think I usually get more out of them when I'm out running than when I'm sitting on the pew listening to a sermon at church.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

"I am John's aching Soleus."

Try to pee without breaking my stride.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DoppleBock

I catch up with the voices in my head - They are good company.

Sometimes I tell them to go away and enjoy the zen of silence and nothingness 

I am not sure if anybody asked this question before.

What do you do during running?

Sometimes I feel it is so wasting of time when running 1, 2 or 3 hours day after day. I don't take any audio device, sometimes just daydreaming. lol

Do you listen to an audio book, learning a foreign language, or any other multitasking?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I run, try not to trip, and let my mind do what it wants.  I sometimes listen to music, but that's fairly rare.  I never listen to music I don't have memorized, because I don't like it to distract me from my musing.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek