"Oh, I could never do that!" (Read 1019 times)

My Hero

Ran into an old friend last night that I haven't seen for a couple of years and the first thing she said to me is, "You have lost some weight." So with that, I explained about my running a few half marathons and was preparing for my 3rd. marathon and so on. She said " Oh, I could never do that!" "Every time I try running I can only go a couple of blocks before running out of air." How many times have you heard that, or something like it? You talk to people that appear to be interested in running and you know that they could do it if they wanted to, but ya know they won't.
      I hear that a lot. I tell them that I never ran unless I was chased until a year and half ago. Then I bore them with where to find the C25K plan, how great it is, and how they can do it if they want to. I like to watch people's eyes glaze over Evil grin Truly, one lady came back to me again to get more info. She thought it over and figured if I could do it, she could do it. Big grin

Member Since 2008

My wife is a prime example of that. I wish she would just try.
        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I hear that a lot. I tell them that I never ran unless I was chased until a year and half ago. Then I bore them with where to find the C25K plan, how great it is, and how they can do it if they want to. I like to watch people's eyes glaze over Evil grin Truly, one lady came back to me again to get more info. She thought it over and figured if I could do it, she could do it. Big grin
          I do the same thing! I also had someone come back for info. Not sure if she is doing the C25K, but she has the tools to get going, if she has the will.

TRUST THE PROCESS

The sad thing is, if they are saying they can't do it, they're right. They won't try if they really believe it's out of their reach. And why do people think they should be able to just go out and run several miles right off the bat? When they can't do that, they just quit.
            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I think people forget that they don't have the speed or stamina that they had when they were kids. As a kid, you could go without doing much and then run a mile and survive. Try that as an adult and you might wish you were dead! Also, I really think that it is easy to forget how hard it is to get moving after time not moving. But you are right - if you try to do too much immediately, you will fail - mentally and physically.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I encounter it alot as well. Last year I started my own modified LA Weightloss Diet and basically just changed some stuff to fit my lifestyle. it wasnt too diffficult, and it basically evens out to just eating right, a lot less, and the right blend of stuff. but everytime someone asks me how i did it, they don't want to hear that i just started eating right and running. they want the exact plan i used - liek its some kind of magical fix or something. then, when i tell them i started running, they immediately shrivel up their noses to that and basically get mad that my plan can't help them. I did print out some copies of the c25k program and posted some on the wall. i was pleasantly suprised when some people actually took some home and then asked me to make more copes, so maybe at least 1 will actally try it out.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Reactions I get: Wrinkled nose. "I'm not a runner." "My knees just can't handle it." "Do you really LIKE running??" "I never see people smile when they run, so I don't want to try it." "I walk, instead." I just tell them, that if they're healthy, they can certainly do it if I can. I was as non-athletic as they come. Heavyset, uncoordinated, and slow!

My Hero

Perhaps I just haven't done a very good enough job "selling" the joys and benefits of running. How can you explain to someone you know that if they would just be patient and give it time, they would see amazing gains. Seeing those amazing gains is was the key factor in keeping me motivated and to keep going. I'll never forget that euphoric feeling the first time I felt like I could run forever! It seems like a lot of people that attempt to run, never get over that bump.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tom, I think you've pegged it. I need to remember to tell people what my friend told me that convinced me to give running a try - "You don't have to run FAR when you start! Just get from one telephone pole to the next, and then walk to the following one." Those were the words that changed my life. They took the intimidation factor away.

Me and my gang in Breck

I hear this all the time. I think that people just have to be ready for a change. When their finally sick and tired of being fat and out of shape then they will make the commitment. Then they come to you and ask how did you do it.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

shonan marathon, girl

I never imagined that I would run a marathon or be able to swim, until I met a girl who finished an IM race. She was not athletic at all during her childhood, but learned how to run, bike and swim after 40. This really encouraged me to get out and not be afraid to try something new and challenging. It's one of the best things that ever happened in my life.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Scout7

I don't really talk about it unless asked. I am not a spokesperson. If someone wants to ask me questions about running, I will answer them as honestly as I can. If someone is uninterested in running, it is not my place to try to convince them of the merits of it. That's for him or her to decide. If a person says that he or she can't run, I just say "OK", and let it go. If the person shows interest, but has a negative attitude about it, I break off the conversation. Some may think this is cold and callous. But it's not my place to try to convince someone to do something healthy. That's each individual's responsibility. If people choose to shirk that responsibility, that's their choice. If people want to get better, then I'm all for helping them. But, they have to want to do it. I assume that people who come to this site and ask questions have a desire to improve, and answer questions with that assumption.
                            mikeymike

The secret is there is no secret.

Runners run

I never imagined that I would run a marathon or be able to swim, until I met a girl who finished an IM race. She was not athletic at all during her childhood, but learned how to run, bike and swim after 40. This really encouraged me to get out and not be afraid to try something new and challenging. It's one of the best things that ever happened in my life.
                                That's an inspiring story!