wireless ear buds (Read 170 times)

Gizmo2019

i currently use a stone age ipod with WIRED apple ear buds. my left ear hole must either be not symmetrical with the right or it sweats more.

looking at wireless and just using my phone with a bluetooth connection. im from the stone age. tell me what ear buds are great for running both indoor and outdoor with possible (definite) sweating. im thinking of the ones that wrap around your neck? any particular brand work best for you?

ive read the thread on the air pods falling out of ears and caught some brands...

Evolving body parts

Sweat has been a nuisance no matter what earbuds I tried (for me it's the right ear BTW). What I learned to live with is minimizing the moisture getting into the ear canal. So on warm or hot days I usually wear a visor (baseball cap without the top). Perhaps a regular cap or a headband / bandana works, too. They lead some of the sweat away from above your ear - of course you'll be dripping sweat from the visor Smile

That being said, I now use a bluetooth JBL Jump Endurance and I'm really happy with it. I especially like the touch control, vey convenient and it seem to work under all kind of conditions (wet, gloves, etc). Works better in terms of sweat to, they fill up at about twice the distance compared to other cheaper ones (6 miles instead of 3 miles) when I forget the visor.

Another thing I wanted to look into is the bone conductivity models (AfterShokz ?). They seem intriguing and I imagine they are not affected by sweat at all.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't have a direct answer for you, but you inspired me to invent in my mind a revolutionary new product. Each earbud will contain a powerful rare earth magnet, right and left having complementary magnetic polarity so that they attract each other by means of a strong magnetic field through your skull. No more lost earbuds!  Who's in?  Send me five bitcoin to become one of the founding investors.

Gizmo2019

Why magnets? Why not surgically implanted buds with voice or mind control for playlists and volume?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Huh, imagine a tune running through one's mind, without external aids.

rmcj001

so, an ear worm...

Ray

Seattle prattle

jaybirds are really good. I use them, the x3 but the x4 are the current model. They do have very good sound and stay in.

Edit: the model is Jaybird X3 Sport 

wireless usually means you have to take your clunky phone along with you. Some GPS watches will stream bluetooth music, though.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Seattle prattle

wireless usually means you have to take your clunky phone along with you. Some GPS watches will stream bluetooth music, though.

This has always been my exact conundrum. I tried one bluetooth mp3 player and it was a train wreck, though rated really high in everyone's list of top 10 sports bluetooth mp3 player lists.

The iPhone does work great so i experimented with a few different belts, and am currently very pleased carrying it in a Amphipod Airflow MicroStretch Belts (about $20). I also used a knock-off of the Flipbelt widely available on Ebay and that was okay, though a bit bulkier.

The Amphipod actually works quite well, tucked under the shirt, don't even notice it.

Gizmo2019

Thanks. I have to take my phone with me on outdoor runs anyway for emergencies, the kids, etc. I also run super early in the morning. My current iPod doesn’t allow me to move songs around, has to be clipped at a certain point or will slide off, and then the ear bud slipping out. I figured since I have a phone i

might as well upgrade. I have a Nathan belt and it’s fine so far. I might want to try something more spandex-y but worried about sweat. Also worried that I can’t toggle thru songs with Bluetooth headphones as easily but it seems I can do it on the headphones themselves vs the phone.

Gizmo2019

And my watch is pretty basic too. A soleus. I’m new to all this as you can see.

Im also debating now between regular buds and these bone conductive ones for running... hard to see what’s best without trials.

also as far as sweat, I think my sweat comes from inside my ear which is why my current bud won’t stick and stay...

Seattle prattle

The Jaybirds Sports are really easy to toggle through songs. I never touch the phone,

But the main reason i moved to bluetooth earbuds is because the ones i have just sound better than my wired ones.

and as far as falling out, there are a variety of foam eatbud covers to choose from so you can zero in on what that will be comfortable and not slide out.

Gizmo2019

I will check those out for sure thanks!

AfterShokz was supposed to release a stand-alone bone conduction headphone set this Spring, I think 8gb to store MP3s. I liked their bluetooth versions, the sound and volume were better than expected. I don't really like built in rechargeable batteries, I worry that I'll forget to charge them or the cable will pull out or something and I'll find myself at the trailhead with NO MUSIC. It's happened to me before.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

Not sure I could continue without music. My breathing and thoughts in my head don’t cut it.

I’m debating between the aftershokz, jaybirds, and plantronics.

Actually it’s hard bc all the brands mentioned seemed good..