Left leg is falling apart. Tingling sensation into thigh (Read 83 times)

buck4life15

I injured my left knee on July 13th while out for a casual 3 mile run. Occurred at the 2 mile mark and I was forced to walk home. I rested it for a few days and gave it another try. Couldn't make it more than 1/2 mile before having to stop. Pain was located along the outer part of my knee, in the IT band area. I sought medical attention and was told that I had an IT band and runner's knee. I began PT and stopped running for four weeks. It felt a bit better. I was told that I could slowly get back into running. i.e. run .3 miles, walk .1 and rotate for a couple of miles. Add mileage as it felt better. I did this until I started to experience pain all over the kneecap and a tingling sensation into my thigh. I also have pain up into my glute and hamstring. Went back to the doc who ordered an MRI which shows inflammation in the IT band (already knew this), thinning of the cartilage on the outer part of the knee and a plica. He referred me to a surgeon who I met with this week. This is where the fun really began. He confirmed that my IT band was inflammed and that my kneecap isn't tracking properly. He also thought that something might be going on with my hip so he ordered an x ray which shows an impingement. He also saw some arthritis around the knee cap. Nothing structural and the joint looks good. He believes that there might be more happening with my hip and possibly even my back so he has ordered an MRI on both. After multiple doctor's visits, x rays, MRI, PT, kinesio tape, dozens of bags of ice, ibuprofen, etc. I am beyond frustrated with the situation. On a personal note, I've been sober for nearly 10 months and running is a large part of my recovery program. Not being able to run for close to 3 months is taking it's toll on me mentally as well as physically. Has anyone else experienced this combination of symptoms?

Help!

#artbydmcbride

Congrats on the sobriety!  <high five> 

Bummer about the leg, but it sounds like they will address the issue and get you back on the road.

Runners run

If the doctors can't help not sure we can diagnose it over the internet.  Do you have any excess weight you could lose? What do you do besides running?  Maybe take up another exercise for a while allowing you to gain strength in your legs, like body weight exercises, yoga,  swimming which is non impact or elliptical/stationary bike which can take out the impact allowing you to heal.

Hip Redux

If you have an impingement, did they get you an MRI with contrast or just a normal MRI?   The contrast will show if the impingement has caused soft tissue damage.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What kind of doc is it?