Knees are Tight (Read 1941 times)

Spin Chick

Well, when getting fitted with shoes I've been told I don't pronate. 

I CAN tell you that I was tired last night when I began my run. 

I will see what I can do with my stride and be alert and see if anything changes.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

You were lied to.

You pronate whether you like that fact or not. Especially as a female, you have much higher levels of pronation than men do simply as a byproduct of your hip structure and center of mass differences than a male runner.

You're also running in shoes designed by men, for men, and merely changing colors and size to fit your feet. You do not run in shoes designed to match your natural running mechanics. The industry term for your shoes is "Shrink it and Pink it". Its one reason females are much more vulnureable to ACL tears than men are.

You may not pronate as much as some women do, but until you're trained to run with no pronation, you're doing it.

Stride has nothing to do with pronation rates. Reducing stride length will reduce the strain to the knee joint, but you'll pay the price in running slower and with increased energy expenditure for identical speed development.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

Well, when getting fitted with shoes I've been told I don't pronate. 

I CAN tell you that I was tired last night when I began my run. 

I will see what I can do with my stride and be alert and see if anything changes.

Before you go down this road, realize that sport jester is the resident crackpot.  I do not make such a call lightly. 

Others have given sound advice.  It could be due to natural acclimation to running, shoes, switching from running to biking and back, or something to do with your stride like over-striding.  A large percentage of low-mileage runners tend to over-stride.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

sport jester

Biomimeticist

So please Spaniel, tell me how stride length impacts "tight knees"

and use science  (as in clinical studies) to document your statement.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't take the bait...just walk away.  Seriously, guys...we don't need another thread turn into dozens of pages of wasted time.  Go for a run or sit on your hands, but don't engage.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Spin Chick

Alright, I'm ending this.

Sport Jester, you don't know what shoes I am running in and don't assume I am an idiot.

Goodbye.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Why, because I ask for  his "science" reference to back up his "expertise" in offering any advice?

The OP asked a legitimate question, and personal attacks are the easiest way to change the focus from facts, biomechanics, and actual science.

I'll proudly call myself the resident "crackpot" if that's the title given to people who have actually studied running biomechanics, let alone had his research supervised by Nike's Sports Research Lab.

http://www.jbiomech.com/article/S0021-9290(09)00039-6/abstract

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/34/11/1844.abstract

http://www.jbiomech.com/article/S0021-9290(09)00544-2/abstract

If I'm going to be called a crackpot, then at least show me the science to make the claim credible.

JimR

Don't take the bait...just walk away.  Seriously, guys...we don't need another thread turn into dozens of pages of wasted time.  Go for a run or sit on your hands, but don't engage.

Agreed. 

Lazy idiot

Perhaps if someone calmy explained that "pronation" is the simple manner in which your foot moves through the initial foot strike to the push off.  And then said that there are, in very general terms: under pronators (supinators), normal pronators, and over pronators.

Then maybe sport jester's comment that Spin Chick was "lied to" wouldn't sound quite as sensational.  I know nothing (nor care nothing) about resident crackpot status.

And finally... my knees were "tight" (or whatever word you want to use) off and on when I started running, too.  You run more, you get stronger, and some of those little "awarenesses" just kind of flit off into a memory.

Sometimes it seems like people on the internet are more consumed with being "right" than being helpful.

Tick tock

sport jester

Biomimeticist

under pronators (supinators), normal pronators, and over pronators.

So you agree with my statement; that we all pronate; to what degree is what's measured. I made no assertions to the "inteligence" of the OP, I made the comment to the quality of shoe salesperson (given they're marketing department trained, and usually with no science background).

If  "helpful advice" is your issue, then being able to back up any statement with science tends to prove how helpful one is. And I tend to only state what I can back up with clinical reference.

Feeling the growl again

If  "helpful advice" is your issue, then being able to back up any statement with science tends to prove how helpful one is. And I tend to only state what I can back up with clinical reference.

So this is at least the third time I ask you for a scientific reference on your 20% gain in efficiency claim.

Not that you will post it.  All I care is that newer members have some idea who they are talking to before they go following their advice.  The ostrich running jokes are a bit funny (if old at this point) until someone unknowingly tries to follow the advice and gets hurt.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Lazy idiot

So you agree with my statement; that we all pronate; to what degree is what's measured. I made no assertions to the "inteligence" of the OP, I made the comment to the quality of shoe salesperson (given they're marketing department trained, and usually with no science background).

Of course I agree that we all pronate (it's my completely not-based-on-science opinion that locomotion kind of requires it), but without a simple explanation of why you believed Spin Chick to have been lied to, it comes across as inflammatory, which is not helpful.

Tick tock

sport jester

Biomimeticist

This is about your claim to your "science" of how overstriding impacts "tight knees". As someone who offers research to back up what he writes, I'm challenging you to yours.

Its funny that you ask about my 20% efficiency claims. Its easy. I have a four foot walking stride (according to Nobby's own measurements) and you don't.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Once again, men don't fucking listen. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Once again, men don't fucking listen. Roll eyes

Duh...

Tick tock