Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 (Read 1502 times)

hairshirt knitter

Rub, I'm happy to start and maintain a thread like the sub-3:00 thread I linked to one page 1.  Or someone else can.  Let me know.

I'd be delighted if you would take this on - many thanks. Holler if you need anything doing though... I'm not trying to dodge the task :-)

I'll set it up tonight ... when I have the time to pay attention to the task.  Cool

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

MJBarry

King of wishful thinking

Just worked out that my Pfitzinger's 18/55 plan starts on Boxing Day Shocked

Julia1971

I would be 0 for 2 with cytomax and nuun, but I can handle nuun.  cytomax is like liquid plumr for my digestive tract.  rnr races serve cytomax.  I have to stick with water and gels for those.

Feel better.

Hmm, so I guess National might have Cytomax this year then.  I'm toying with doing the Half.  It's awful close to Boston so my head says I shouldn't but the heart wants what it wants.   

I just ran MCM in 3:29:58 - not sure it gets any better than that!  That was my first, but I'll say that I'm still IN for 2012.  Gotta try and get faster...wanna get that BQ sometime in this lifetime. 

xor

Hmm, so I guess National might have Cytomax this year then.  I'm toying with doing the Half.  It's awful close to Boston so my head says I shouldn't but the heart wants what it wants.   

yes, unless competitor changes their drink deal to someone else, definitely expect cytomax at DC.

I will see you at Boston.  Cool.

Do the half. It'll be big fun.

Julia1971

yes, unless competitor changes their drink deal to someone else, definitely expect cytomax at DC.

I will see you at Boston.  Cool.

Do the half. It'll be big fun.

Actually, it looks like I'm supposed to run a 8K-15K tune up race that weekend anyway.  And, a Half is roughly a 15K.  So, I really should do it.

See you in Boston!

Have almost decided that Pfitzinger's 18/55 is a little harsh for my first time; any opinions on that?

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Ceri,  It would be hard to imagine succeeding without putting in the miles. For me, I don't think I could have done so well without the mileage. The difference between my first marathon, last year, and my recent one was huge. The race was easy the second time. I think it was volume leading into and during training. And I'm a low mileage guy compared to many here. See if you're prepared Base-wise to go there. If not, readjust.

Be prepared to make a commitment.   More miles = success if you are ready.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Have almost decided that Pfitzinger's 18/55 is a little harsh for my first time; any opinions on that?

Go for it. The only thing is that you don't want a sudden big increase in miles, so use the time before the program would start (8 weeks or so?) to get used to running 40-50 miles a week.

I followed the 18/55 plan fairly well last summer/fall.  Something will always crop up to make you miss or trim a day here and there.  FWIW, here are my weekly totals leading into starting the 18/55, as well as the weeks to the fall marathon -- as you can see, not the biggest base when I started Pfitz.  I cramped in the race at about Mile 23, 3mi after I'd stopped sweating -- i.e., I think it was a dehydration issue, not a severe lack of training.

5/24/2010   31.5 mi          
                        5/17/2010   17.3 mi          
                        5/10/2010   26.4 mi          
                        5/3/2010   25.2 mi          
                        4/26/2010   38.1 mi          
                        4/19/2010   10.0 mi          
                        4/12/2010   30.5 mi          
                        4/5/2010   26.5 mi          
                        3/29/2010   18.6 mi          
                        3/22/2010   35.5 mi          
                        3/15/2010   31.0 mi          
                        3/8/2010   41.5 mi          
                        3/1/2010   18.0 mi

9/27/2010   43.7 mi          
                        9/20/2010   33.6 mi          
                        9/13/2010   42.8 mi          
                        9/6/2010   50.7 mi          
                        8/30/2010   51.1 mi          
                        8/23/2010   42.7 mi          
                        8/16/2010   41.4 mi          
                        8/9/2010   45.8 mi          
                        8/2/2010   27.4 mi          
                        7/26/2010   47.5 mi          
                        7/19/2010   52.7 mi          
                        7/12/2010   40.5 mi          
                        7/5/2010   34.0 mi          
                        6/28/2010   46.8 mi          
                        6/21/2010   41.8 mi          
                        6/14/2010   40.6 mi          
                        6/7/2010   36.7 mi          
                        5/31/2010   32.1 mi

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks all; I think the "Advanced" bit of the book title put me off a little, but I've had a better week this week and will go for it.  Fallback plan if it does become too much is Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

atomno2

Well, I guess I should make it official.  I'm in too, however it will be a stretch. I think 3:45 is more likely this year.   I am fresh off a 1/2 PR 1:53:38.  I took a week to recover and now I am about 12 weeks out from Myrtle Beach.  It will be my first full, and to be honest, I am looking to just survive!  I have had a few weeks where I have ran in the 30 MPW range, and have done my best to ensure I have  decent base.  I have done very little speed work up till this point.  I am planing on following the Pfitzinger's 12/55.  I know, it is not ideal but I must have forgot how to count when I planed out my races 6 months ago.  Looking at the plan, and based on how I felt at the end of the 1/2, I think it is doable.  Now don't get me wrong, I will bail at the first sign of injury.  It is not worth it.  I have created a google calender (https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=e8t3vqmf69ocs7nfhpph01iis4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York) to put my training schedule on. (I also add it here on RA every two weeks or so.  Google already has the rest of my life so...) I plan on finishing this one, and then will decide when and where to really go for time.  I am hoping that all of you can keep me honest, and help me get out the door.  The step out the door is always the hardest!!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

I'm in! Ran my first marathon this October in Portland and made 3:45:18. My BQ is 3:30 and I am hooked. I switched from a typical marathon running program to the FIRST system for the last 6 weeks and believe it helped a lot. I will be using that again for this attempt in April at the Eugene, Oregon Marathon. BTW I ran barefoot for the first 22 miles and had to put on the Five Fingers for the last 4.2 due to a few blisters but overall had a blast.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I'm in! Ran my first marathon this October in Portland and made 3:45:18. My BQ is 3:30 and I am hooked. I switched from a typical marathon running program to the FIRST system for the last 6 weeks and believe it helped a lot. I will be using that again for this attempt in April at the Eugene, Oregon Marathon. BTW I ran barefoot for the first 22 miles and had to put on the Five Fingers for the last 4.2 due to a few blisters but overall had a blast.

WTG!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/