What is your ... (Read 602 times)

Fave- half marathon, there's enough time to screw up and still pull it together. One of my college days halfs, I started out jogging, went through 3 miles in 24, then decided I was bored and wanted to race, ran sub 6 the rest of the way to win by only a few meters and ran a 1:21. I still remember how much fun that was. Least fave- 800m track owowowowow, least road fave 5k- just a sprint from start to finish and I'm totally slow twitch gal. Additional fave-300m hurdles, giggled the whole way doing that for the heptathlon, or was it 400m hurdles? 100m hurdles?I don't remember, I just remember I could three step, and laughed the whole way because it was so much fun. I wouldn't dare try a hurdle now, nothing vertical for me. OH wait, I loved steeplchase too, got to try it when they first let ladies try.
      I've gotta say that the half is my favorite distance, with 10 miles a close second. Hate 5K with a passion even though I run a lot of them. Roll eyes Way too short and too fast for me. Teresa
      JakeKnight

Least favorite: 10-k. Short enough to hurt, long enough for the hurt to go on for awhile. Favorite: the longer the better. Actually, I'm fibbing. After 4 marathons I finally ran my first half marathon recently, and now I get why you people all like them so much. It is a really fun distance. Long enough to be an accomplishment, long enough so that the pace is more comfortable, yet short enough so you never hit a wall or find real pain. And long enough so it seems that the investment in time and money is worth it. Driving half an hour to run a 20 minute 5-k seems kind of silly sometimes.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wow, there's not a lot of love for the 5k out there. Now granted, it has been about 8 years since I've raced one, so maybe they're different now. Does the 5k of the new millennium involve razor-wire, raw eggs, and involuntary body hair removal or something?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Does the 5k of the new millennium involve razor-wire, raw eggs, and involuntary body hair removal or something?
            If it did, you'd see it listed as one of my favorites.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Least favorite: 10-k. Short enough to hurt, long enough for the hurt to go on for awhile.
              Amen to that brutha. Shorter than 10k, and the pain is over quickly. If it's longer than 10k, you can hit the 'abort' button during a bad race and say you decided to do the race as a "training run." (translation: "I ran the first few miles hard, blew up, felt like sh*t, so now I'm just trying to save face."). But the 10k has no viable exit strategy.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mishka-old log

Favorite: 800m. In some minds, the most exciting race on the track. It definitely felt that way when I raced it. Short enough to be an adrenaline race...long enough to really sting. Least favorite: 5k. I have a personal beef with this one. I've never been able to rip one to my potential...not sure why. Maybe my assessment of my potential is off. I think it's adult ADD...too long for me to focus on maintaining the effort.
                Scout7

Least favorite: 5k. I have a personal beef with this one. I've never been able to rip one to my potential...not sure why. Maybe my assessment of my potential is off. I think it's adult ADD...too long for me to focus on maintaining the effort.
                  5K too long to focus?!?!? Mish, ya gotta dial it back when you run a longer distance. You can't run 5000m at the same pace as 800m.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Favorite: 800m. In some minds, the most exciting race on the track. It definitely felt that way when I raced it. Short enough to be an adrenaline race...long enough to really sting.
                    I totally get this. When I watched the Olympic Trials in Sacramento in 2000, the 800m was the most exciting race to watch by far. But man, it really does sting... Evil grin

madness baby

It's a tie between a 10K and half for me. Except, well, I've only run one of each, and my perception likely has a lot to do with the weather and the location. Both along the beach on beautiful days. . . I'm shallow. This should improve with more running. Wink
                      deb
                      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

fave: 400m or less, although I've never raced those distances. I tend to fair much better at the really short ones than the longer ones most hated: 5k. It's silly that its warm up is as long as the race itself. I hate how everything burns from the start. Hate it hate it hate it!
                          it's a tie between 10k and half-marathon and another tie between half-marathon and marathon Smile 5k is dead last so is the 8k i wouldn't touch a 3k with a 10 foot pole. i'd cry and run home to mommy.
                          yeah that.

Jennifer mm#1231

Wow, there's not a lot of love for the 5k out there. Now granted, it has been about 8 years since I've raced one, so maybe they're different now. Does the 5k of the new millennium involve razor-wire, raw eggs, and involuntary body hair removal or something?
                            Nudity, in Kansas, there's a law requiring you to race the 5k nude.
                            Mishka-old log

5K too long to focus?!?!? Mish, ya gotta dial it back when you run a longer distance. You can't run 5000m at the same pace as 800m.
                              Curses! It seems that would also explain my difficulty with the marathon.
                                Well, there aren't to many races longer than 5K here in Florida... guess they don't feel like picking up all the heat-stroke victims during the summer months. When it gets (somewhat) cool down here I REALLY like the half-marathons.