First time RD - Sponsors (Read 620 times)

I have found myself in charge of putting together a local 5k (as a fund raiser) a couple months from now.  I have run lots of races in my life, but have never been involved, even remotely, in the organization of a race.  I think I can handle most of the details, however, finding sponsors is one part I don't know how to approach.  I'm wondering if any of you great people has had to tackle this before, and how you handled it.  Did you send letters / phone call / visit businesses?  Did you ask for a any amount / specific amount / sponsorship of a specific item (food, t-shirt, etc.)?  What did the sponsor get out of it logo on shirt / race app / some other recognition?

Any advice anyone has about this, or race organization in general, would be much appreciated!  Thanks for the help.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

I helped organise a 5M road race (university running club annual fund raiser) which attracted a few hundred club runners. We received goody bags from a local running shop, shampoo & conditioner sets from Proctor & Gamble as well as a few hundred caramel wafer biscuits from a local manufacturer. Being specific with numbers of entrants helped us out; it demonstrates you've got at least some handle on the organisation and also helps sponsors out evaluating costs to them. The running shop put in some flyers for the shop (with some token percentage discount) and related physio/nutritionist practices. The shampoo/conditioner was a lucky break because someone knew someone who knew someone. The chocolate bars were quite specific to Glasgow as the manufacturer is a local company, family business, long tradition of supporting local events, blah, blah, blah.

I fly.

I organized a 5k for the local elementary school this past spring.  We had a "form" letter that we hand delivered to local businesses.  The letter outlined what we were offering in exchange for each donation level.  I don't have a copy of the letter available to me right now, but if memory serves me correctly we set donations levels at $5000 to name the race, $2500 to have your own water table, $1000 to hang a banner on the course, $150 for your business name and number on the shirt and $50 just for your business name on the shirt.  We also offered businesses that donated $500 or more the opportunity to have a table with promotional material at the race.  

Donations of gift certificates and food were credited at the same level as donations of cash.  

Good luck.  You can message me if you have more questions.

Bring it on.

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

You could also thrown in a free entry, or several, with certain donation levels -- which might be nice amenities to some runner(s) who work at the sponsor business.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This is what I used for a 5k I put on this spring.  Cover letter should talk about the cause you're supporting and what the money will be used for.  They do want a return on their investment so you should try to estimate the number of participants and what exposure they'll get out of it.  Get a few volunteers to help you call or go door to door to local businesses and you should do fine.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

CROSS COUNTRY SPONSOR - $500                                                               

Logo on Event Welcome Banner                                                                           

Logo on Start/Finish Line                                                                                         

Logo on Podium at Post-Race Awards                                                                   

Logo on Race Website                                                                                             

Large Logo on back of race t-shirts                                                                       

Logo at top of email announcements                                                                    

Logo in monthly e-newsletter                                                                                

6 complimentary race entries (t-shirts included)

LONG DISTANCE SPONSOR - $400                                                            

Logo on Start/Finish Line                                                                                         

Logo on Podium at Post-Race Awards                                                                             

Logo on Race Website                                                                                             

Medium Logo on back of race t-shirts                                                                            

Logo in email announcements                                                                                         

Logo in monthly e-newsletter

4 complimentary race entries (t-shirts included)                                               

SPRINT SPONSOR - $300

Company Name on Start/Finish Line

Company Name on Podium at Post-Race Awards

Company Name on Race Website    

Small Logo on back of race t-shirts 

Company Name in the email announcements

2 complimentary race entries (t-shirts included)

HYDRATION ZONE SPONSOR - $200

Company Name on Start/Finish Line

Company Name on Podium at Post-Race Awards

Company Name on Race Website

Company Name on back of race t-shirts

Sorry to abandon the question for a couple days, I made the post and then left for a long weekend and hadn't checked in.  I really like the idea of complimentary race entries and creating different levels of sponsorship the businesses can choose from.  Thanks everyone for the feed back, I really appreciate it.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.