Creepy Peeps on the Road... (Read 1548 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tonite I had an experience that made me thankful to have my cell along and gave me good cause to change my planned running route. In the last 2 miles of my run tonite I came off the paved rail trail where it ends on a semi-rural street in a sort of industrial park area. As I came out I noticed a panel van moving VERY slowly down the road. He continued to creep along going the same direction as me. Eventually he pulled over into a turn-around ahead a short ways as another vehicle came up behind him. After the vehicle went by he continued out just barely faster than me and just ahead. Each time a vehicle came up behind he would pull over and almost stop...never getting very far ahead. After about a half mile of this I took out my cell phone and called DH--making it VERY apparent that I was talking to someone on the phone. I also turned left down a residential street, instead of continuing straight, as originally planned. The street I ran down is about a half mile long. I ran at my easy pace, which is not particularly speedy, by any means. Where the street comes out I can see a more primary road just 30 yards or so to the right. And guess who I see creeping along there. He had to have driven no faster than 10mph for about a mile to have matched my pace. So I get home and am sitting around. About an hour after finish my run I see this creep drive by our house. There is NO reason for a person to just drive by, since we aren't on a thru street...the only people who have cause to drive by our house are either residents of the neighborhood or visiting locals. Where I first saw this guy is a full mile from our house...what is he doing an hour later cruising our street, particularly in a gas-guzzler when we're paying $4.20/gallon locally? Be careful, friends. If your instincts tell you to be wary, follow them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow! Scary!! Good job to trust yourself. Did you call the local law enforcement just to give them a heads up?

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm wondering if I should. I'd feel horrible if I found out that guy did something and I could have helped prevent it...but then part of me feels like I'm being overreactive and maybe he's just weird, but benign.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm wondering if I should. I'd feel horrible if I found out that guy did something and I could have helped prevent it...but then part of me feels like I'm being overreactive and maybe he's just weird, but benign.
          Yes, call the police and give them the best description you can of both the van and the driver, plate # if you have it. Ted Bundy came off as weird and benign...and a killer too. Glad you are safe. Bob
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Kirsten, call the police! You got my spidey-sense tingling. The fact that he drove by your house like that is too creepy.
              That is creepy. Was he on his cell phone? Maybe he was on the phone and deep in a conversation and avoiding going home so he was just driving around, and then pulling off the road when cars came...Hopefully it was just something like that.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just e-mailed the chief of police. The actual PD isn't staffed on weekends (hello, small town) so a call would just go to voicemail now, anyhow, unless I called 911, which I'd feel kinda silly doing, given that this isn't an "emergency." I'm guessing the chief will contact me Monday.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is creepy. Was he on his cell phone? Maybe he was on the phone and deep in a conversation and avoiding going home so he was just driving around, and then pulling off the road when cars came...Hopefully it was just something like that.
                  Nope, no sign of a phone--otherwise I'd probably have thought like you did. And what was he doing an hour later on our street...?

~ Sarah Kay

wow, that type of thing freaks me out. I had a similar situation a few weeks ago where I had a vehicle parked in my parking lot with the engine running and someone sitting in the driver's seat for hours - four nights in a row. I called the police on the fourth night and reported it, and within 10 minutes they were pulling the guy out of the vehicle at gun point. They hauled him away in the back of the police cruiser. I never found out why or what, but really didn't want to know too much. I was glad I had called when it was all said and done. I think your situation is creepy enough to raise some flags. Glad to hear that the situation didn't turn into something more!
                    - Tony
                    Lisa3.1

That is haunting. You should contact the authorities. Take care Kristen.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, Tony...they must have had a warrant for that guy or he had priors or something. Sounds pretty serious if guns were involved! Shocked I'll be interested to see if our police are familiar with the van I saw.

~ Sarah Kay

Lisa3.1

did you get his license plate number
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

did you get his license plate number
                            Nope...but it was a MI plate, so not a "lost" tourist from the look of it.

~ Sarah Kay

Always trust your instincts, but remember, "they" thought it was a panel van in the DC sniper situation. I'm just sayin that because I hope this turns out to be a false alarm. Hopefully, it was a coupla contractors lost and looking for their job. Or maybe the Verizon peeps testing the network? Coulda been a hundred things - including nefariousness, so you did right. I'da done the same. On an entirely different subject: In Bruges is a great movie.
                                I think it may be standard that they pull guns for anything around here, but hauling the guy away made me think that something was up. He wasn't parked in front of any entrances to my building - in fact he was kind of tucked into a dark corner. It happened to be that I was out running late several nights in a row, and noticed his vehicle. All I could think was that he was stalking someone, casing a place to rob, or waiting for a drug deal. Sounds like the worst thoughts of a cynic, but I couldn't think of any reasonable explanation for his being there. Nothing wrong with a heads up to the authorities. In my case, I think that I may have prevented something. Your situation sounds even worse being from a small town. Sure it could be a lost work crew, but on a holiday weekend, empty houses make good targets - oops I think that cynical thinking just popped out again. Evil grin
                                - Tony