Indy Mini Marathon RR (Read 676 times)

I ran the Indy Mini Marathon (half marathon for those unfamiliar) Saturday morning for the first time in 9 years. I took many years off running Confused, but started running again last September. 40 pounds lighter, and some decent training, I was ready for a new PR, as my previous was 2:18:32 in 1998. As I trained, I was hoping for <2 hours, and knew a better time was possible. the week before the race, i caught a chest cold :p, and didn't run much. was feeling pretty good saturday, with just some minor coughing, and the weather was perfect, 53 degrees and overcast. so i head downtown, and line up with 30,000 of my closest friends. music jamming through the loudspeakers, the gun goes off, and all is great! i had planned a couple miles at 8:45 to see how i felt, and the go from there. first mile 8:26, and feeling great. mile 2 7:55, race hype, but feeling good, chest is clear so i decide to run 8:00 to 8:15 and trust those early morning winter runs will pay off. some of my best miles were high fiving the kids along the way :), the crowd was absolutely great. cheerleaders, bands, even some clogging groups! the best were the kids out chearing us on! race was going great through mile 10, when my chest started to feel a little heavy. didn't slow me down to much, and went on to a pr of 1:46:42! :d pace of 8:09, couldn't have hoped for anything better :) after race party in military park was fantastic. overall, a great race for anyone considering it. so glad to be back off the couch, thanks for reading, kevin hours,="" and="" knew="" a="" better="" time="" was="" possible.="" the="" week="" before="" the="" race,="" i="" caught="" a="" chest="" cold="" :p,="" and="" didn't="" run="" much.="" was="" feeling="" pretty="" good="" saturday,="" with="" just="" some="" minor="" coughing,="" and="" the="" weather="" was="" perfect,="" 53="" degrees="" and="" overcast.="" so="" i="" head="" downtown,="" and="" line="" up="" with="" 30,000="" of="" my="" closest="" friends.="" music="" jamming="" through="" the="" loudspeakers,="" the="" gun="" goes="" off,="" and="" all="" is="" great!="" i="" had="" planned="" a="" couple="" miles="" at="" 8:45="" to="" see="" how="" i="" felt,="" and="" the="" go="" from="" there.="" first="" mile="" 8:26,="" and="" feeling="" great.="" mile="" 2="" 7:55,="" race="" hype,="" but="" feeling="" good,="" chest="" is="" clear="" so="" i="" decide="" to="" run="" 8:00="" to="" 8:15="" and="" trust="" those="" early="" morning="" winter="" runs="" will="" pay="" off.="" some="" of="" my="" best="" miles="" were="" high="" fiving="" the="" kids="" along="" the="" way="" :),="" the="" crowd="" was="" absolutely="" great.="" cheerleaders,="" bands,="" even="" some="" clogging="" groups!="" the="" best="" were="" the="" kids="" out="" chearing="" us="" on!="" race="" was="" going="" great="" through="" mile="" 10,="" when="" my="" chest="" started="" to="" feel="" a="" little="" heavy.="" didn't="" slow="" me="" down="" to="" much,="" and="" went="" on="" to="" a="" pr="" of="" 1:46:42!="" :d="" pace="" of="" 8:09,="" couldn't="" have="" hoped="" for="" anything="" better="" :)="" after="" race="" party="" in="" military="" park="" was="" fantastic.="" overall,="" a="" great="" race="" for="" anyone="" considering="" it.="" so="" glad="" to="" be="" back="" off="" the="" couch,="" thanks="" for="" reading,=""></2 hours, and knew a better time was possible. the week before the race, i caught a chest cold :p, and didn't run much. was feeling pretty good saturday, with just some minor coughing, and the weather was perfect, 53 degrees and overcast. so i head downtown, and line up with 30,000 of my closest friends. music jamming through the loudspeakers, the gun goes off, and all is great! i had planned a couple miles at 8:45 to see how i felt, and the go from there. first mile 8:26, and feeling great. mile 2 7:55, race hype, but feeling good, chest is clear so i decide to run 8:00 to 8:15 and trust those early morning winter runs will pay off. some of my best miles were high fiving the kids along the way :), the crowd was absolutely great. cheerleaders, bands, even some clogging groups! the best were the kids out chearing us on! race was going great through mile 10, when my chest started to feel a little heavy. didn't slow me down to much, and went on to a pr of 1:46:42! :d pace of 8:09, couldn't have hoped for anything better :) after race party in military park was fantastic. overall, a great race for anyone considering it. so glad to be back off the couch, thanks for reading, kevin>

Another Passion

Awesome Kevin! Congratulations on coming back with a fury and the huge PR! Way to push yourself.

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congrats Kevin on your race. I also ran the "mini" in Indy this weekend. It being my first HM, when I signed up, I signed up for a starting corral that was way slower than I could run the event, which really bottled me up for the first two miles or so. At the end of the day, I ended up running in under 2 hours, which was my goal based on my training. 1:54 was my final time. Even after a first mile of near 10 Min, and a second mile that was near 9, I still came in with a chip time of 8:45 minute miles. Some of my best and fastest miles came after mile 8, which is a testament to my training. The race overall went quickly given that there was entertainment, ample water and gatorade stations, and a multitude of residents with cow-bells cheering you on throughout the entire course. I echo previous accolades of this race. The entertainment is great, the atmosphere is great, the course is fun and flat, and running around the brickyard track is pretty cool as well. On Saturday, even the weather was spectacular. The race is very well run and organized, and the multitude of volunteers are helpful and encouraging at every turn. This one is a "must do" for anybody who enjoys racing, and running.

The Greatest of All Time

Great posts! When did they move the race to the weekend? The last time I raced it (1997 I think) it was on a Friday which was very odd.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            30,000 friends is damned impressive. Way to go Dawg!

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Think Whirled Peas

Congrats ScubaDawg and tnctippy! I was there too. Had a great time at an exceptionally well run race especially considering there were 30,000+ of our closest running friends there! I expected it to be a bit of a nightmare, but everything seemed to go off w/out a hitch. Oh, and this: is what I call one crazy ass finish! We were on the speedway when they crossed, so we saw it on the big screen. Very cool. It was worth the trip. Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

C-R

Nice phots Q. I think I actually saw me around the red ballon Clowning around I was on the track as well when they finished. Its interesting to have 6/7 left and the winners are getting a Gatorade and a cool down run. Well done everyone. It's a neat HM if you haven't run it. Good course ie - flat) with great support. Next week is the inaugral Geist HM in the north Indy burbs. See you around the lake if you're going. Smile

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Thanks, for all the replies. Sounds Like we all agree it was a well organized race. tnctippy: Great race, sounds like you did really well, especially considering the racers you must have had to work around. Marcus 71, not sure, but I think it changed from Friday to Saturday around 1999 or 2000. Race officials said it would allow more to run. I guess that is how you get to the largest half marathon. Q: Great pics!! Thanks for posting them. I too was on the track near the last jumbo-tv was able to watch the finish, simply incredible! Those guys paced 4:48 miles, wow. CarmelRunner: Glad you were able to beat your goal, great run!!! Wish I could run Geist also, but waited to late to try to sign up, They were sold out. Wasn't sure I could have run two HM's so close together, but I now think it would be fun to try. Good luck on your race! ScubaDawg
                  indyfsufan

I also ran the mini this past saturday. First time ever to run a race longer than 5 miles. I was doing good till about the 10 mile mark then my legs started cramping, BAD. Finally had to start walking and jogging (more walking than jogging) the final 2 miles. Didnt think I was gonna make it, but had a friend that stayed with me the whole way. Did I dehydrate? How could I keep that from happening in next years race? Thanks all

Another Passion

Congrats ScubaDawg and tnctippy! I was there too. Had a great time at an exceptionally well run race especially considering there were 30,000+ of our closest running friends there! I expected it to be a bit of a nightmare, but everything seemed to go off w/out a hitch. Oh, and this: is what I call one crazy ass finish! We were on the speedway when they crossed, so we saw it on the big screen. Very cool. It was worth the trip. Q
                      Q~ I didn't know you were black! Or, that fast! Wow!

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Think Whirled Peas

Q~ I didn't know you were black! Or, that fast! Wow!
                        NICE Rick! Sheesh! Smile Seriously, that finish was crazy to see. Those two were DEAD SPRINTING the last half mile or so and elbowing/slapping at each other the entire way. It was nutso. They ended up calling it a tie. My wife saw it from the stands and refused to believe that anyone could run THAT FAST having just run 13 miles. Pretty saWEET.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>