Little help from the Experts? Newbie training plan help... (Read 1218 times)

hi all i am some what new to running i been running about 9 months now i first started to loose some weight but as they say i got the running bug and now i am training  for a 10k run in a months time any tips anyone can give me ??

In addition to what Scout said,I think one of the mistake I made when I first started running (long before the web), is that I had no variaion in my training. Every day I'd run the same distance, and essentially the same effort.

My advice to you is to first incorporate variation in the distance your daily runs.  I don't know what you're averaging now, but lets say it's 3 miles/day. Some days run 1 or 2, and other days try to stretch it out to 4 or 5, perhaps 6 to 7 once/week. And, a few times/week throw in a few 100meter (20 to 30second) pick ups during the run.  After a few weeks or more, you can start worrying about picking up the pace for longer periods of time. 

Am I the only one who thinks the OP was a troll who planned that whole thing?

DoppleBock

I pretty much ran about as hard as I could for the distance I was running - 3 mile - 5 mile - 10 mile.  I would just try and beat my last time .. every time - I think most people are like this - It does not make running a lot of fun.

A few people run slow every time -

The long term key is to 1)  Have fun and 2)  Learn how to recover 

In addition to what Scout said,I think one of the mistake I made when I first started running (long before the web), is that I had no variaion in my training. Every day I'd run the same distance, and essentially the same effort.

My advice to you is to first incorporate variation in the distance your daily runs.  I don't know what you're averaging now, but lets say it's 3 miles/day. Some days run 1 or 2, and other days try to stretch it out to 4 or 5, perhaps 6 to 7 once/week. And, a few times/week throw in a few 100meter (20 to 30second) pick ups during the run.  After a few weeks or more, you can start worrying about picking up the pace for longer periods of time. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DB, thats exactly how I started out in my running endeavors. I hurt all the time and took ibuprofen to walk. It didn't take too long to figure out that racing a certain distance ALL the time was a bad idea.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

joecarolod

Lose some weight, tubby!

L Train

That's a dumbass thing to say.  And I know dumbass. 

Never seen that screen name before, probably the same troll

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

; I have a picture of Frank Shorter from his 1974 Fukuoka Marathon where he claimed his third victory.  He's sitting on a bench with a complete stranger, the unknown Japanese runner, and smiling.  I just love this picture.  He said something like "We all shared the same pain and struggle...and we all conquered!"  I don't think they share the same thought in any other sport. 

Any chance we can get you to post a link to that photo (or a scan)? I did some googling and didn't come up with anything like you describe.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do