25 Years Ago in Runner's World (Read 914 times)

2009: BQ?
      Happy early Birthday. Big grin I am guessing it is your B-day from the looks of your profile.
        Very cool... boy, the watches have come along way in 25 years (ref. slide 11).
        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
          Happy Birthday? Big grin I am guessing it is your B-day from the looks of your profile.
          Nope --- I turn 26 in May !
          2009: BQ?
            Doh! Look at the price. Was 2.50 for a mag the norm back then?
              I need a Body Breather.... and one of those 100% cotton training shirts. Jason
                I saw that last night. I actually remember that cover from my first incarnation as a runner. I got a hoot from the ad for the Bodybreather. Did anybody ever actually buy those things? It's the same sport but, it's remarkable the way some things have changed in 25 years. Wait,Trishie's 25? Damn, I'm old. Does any of the 40something & older folks remember a short story that ran in an issue of Runner's World back in the early 80's? It was science fiction story that took place in the near future. The world's oil supply had dried up & everybody had become runners since there were no more cars. Mail carriers were genetically engineered to enhance their running ability. It was pretty weird. I wish I hadn't thrown those old back issues out.
                Jill_B

I fly.

I'm ordering a shirt. 100 % cotton - "Perfect for all cold weather training and relaxing." Smile

Bring it on.

Nope --- I turn 26 in May !
                    Darn! I thought you were the lady in the middle on the front cover! It's almost depressing to talk to people like yourself--I was talking to a young lady I'm coaching now (she's 26) and I said, "Remember 'Chariots of Fire'? It won the academy award in...1981; the year you were born!" But thanks for posting it (for whatever triggered you to do so). Got that article by Tom Jordan about running in Oregon (Eugene). Notice Salazar's singlet? It's "Greater Boston", not "Oregon" or "Nike"! Actually Bill Squires coached him to get his foundation (MikyMike, get this?) and Salazar has been very loyal to Coach; one thing I respect him a lot for.

Marquess of Utopia

Nice find!
                        No joke: my old man had the blue and yellow jacket and pants on the front cover (or very near). If I can find a copy of the picture I'll post it here.
                        Timbodeener

Does any of the 40something & older folks remember a short story that ran in an issue of Runner's World back in the early 80's? It was science fiction story that took place in the near future. The world's oil supply had dried up & everybody had become runners since there were no more cars. Mail carriers were genetically engineered to enhance their running ability. It was pretty weird. I wish I hadn't thrown those old back issues out.
                          I think I remember that.....didn't the runners have sort of like "gills" they developed to help bring air directly to their lungs or something?? That was a weird story! I got into running pretty hot and heavy back in 1980 and used to love my Runners World mags... I also loved reading Jim Fixx's Complete Book of Running....very motivational for me back then.
                            No joke: my old man had the blue and yellow jacket and pants on the front cover (or very near). If I can find a copy of the picture I'll post it here.
                            OH, SHUT UP!!! What's wrong with that? Those are BR (Bill Rodgers) jacket and, yes, I had them too! But mines were a bit darker blue and not quite yellow but more grayish yellowish color...in other words, a bit more "cool" colors... Do I sound pathetic...? Yes, I'm old! I'm antient! So what!? I could be good for something...I think... :-(
                              I think I remember that.....didn't the runners have sort of like "gills" they developed to help bring air directly to their lungs or something?? That was a weird story! Yeah, that was it. I'd love to read it again. I wonder if it would be available somehow through RW's website? Think about all the changes since then. Most of my limited experience from running comes from 25 years ago. Think of all the changes. Most of the clothing was cotton. I don't remember any sports drink besides Gatorade. How long has stuff like Gu been around? There were no Ipods. No online websites like this one. Races were advertised in newspapers. I started running again in April of '06 & I still feel a little like Rip Van Winkle sometimes.
                                There were no...online websites like this one.
                                Gasp! How did we live like that?

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.