Recommend Me An Elite Male Marathoner To Root For On Monday (Read 217 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

So, with Abdi's announcement today that he's dropping out of Boston, no one from the American Marathon Team is left.

Who should I pull for now?  I'd prefer him to be an American (being from there and all, sorry), but anybody with a legitimate shot and a great back story will do.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

bhearn

Well damn, somehow I missed it when Meb withdrew.

I think the answer is, root for the women.

I excpect big things from Kara Goucher and Shalane Flanagan!!  Go Girls!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Wesley Korir. He won last year in brutal conditions and he's a Louisville alum--and they're having a pretty good year.

Then there's local boy Tim Ritchie, making his 26.2 mile debut. (Interesting side note from the interview--notice he talks about the difference in taper strategy for a high mileage runner coming down from 120-140 miles versus a low mileage runner like himself who normally only puts in about 75 mpw.)

Personally I'm rooting for BadDawg to take down my PR and Scully to make me go "WOW."

Runners run

bhearn

Does Scully have a goal? He ought to run something pretty damn amazing.

Imminent Catastrophe

yeah.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I think that the direction this thread should take is for everyone running Boston to post their numbers...root for a fellow RunningAhead runner!

And Flanagan; she's from Marblehead, MA. Here she is sporting a Wicked Running Club shirt while relaxing after the Olympics:

Flanagan's Wicked pride

bhearn

Yep -- they are legitimate contenders. I'm sorry I won't get to watch the race; should be exciting.

joescott

Wesley Korir. He won last year in brutal conditions and he's a Louisville alum--and they're having a pretty good year.

+1.  I am a Wesley Korir FAN.  Not only is he one tough runner, but he is a good man.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Well damn, somehow I missed it when Meb withdrew.

I think the answer is, root for the women.

Yep...apparently his calf muscle became injured after an encounter with a dog.  It's nice to know elites deal with the same jackassery that we mortals do sometimes, but it still makes me angry at the dog owner (though, to the owner's credit, it was at least leashed).

Rest assured, I am fully on team Goucher/Flanagan!  I'm in awe of their talent, and they seem like really great people besides - not a whiff of arrogance or bravado that I can tell.  And I can't wait to see what Desi can do once she finally gets over that injury.

Just casting about for someone on the XY side.  I was really impressed with Korir last year, can't believe it didn't occur to me he'd be there, too.  Sounds good.  Go Wesley!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

HermosaBoy

I am rooting for Jason Hartmann.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Does Scully have a goal?

When guy is in the place he's in right now, and has been putting in the work like he has all winter, and has that lean, hungry look in his eyes like the one I saw in New Bedford...you don't ask him his goal. You just nod and say "Go get it."

Runners run

bhearn

Meb says maybe he will now run Bay to Breakers -- maybe I will congratulate him for the Olympics. Last year I wished him luck; I doubt he has forgotten. Smile

xhristopher

And Flanagan; she's from Marblehead, MA. Here she is sporting a Wicked Running Club shirt while relaxing after the Olympics:

Flanagan's Wicked pride

Look at that nasty water. Looks like she's in a swamp.

L Train