Marathon Runner Busted for ‘Unfare’ Advantage (Read 1094 times)

an amazing likeness

The Hot Tub

Elaine has this marathon runner staying at her apartment, Jean-Paul. She had forgotten to set his alarm at a previous race and he missed it. He's running the New York Marathon. Jerry's worried that she'll screw up again. So throughout the episode, Jerry is trying to make sure he will wake up in time. Takes him to motel room. Offends the wake-up guy at the motel. So they go back to his place. In the meantime, Kramer had some problems with his hot tub. There's a power outage because of the hot tub. Jean-Paul ends up being late for the race. So he gets down to the race and he's running the race. They're giving water out, but Kramer's drinking hot coffee. Jean-Paul picks up the hot coffee, thinking it's ice water and burns his throat.

The Race

Through his current girlfriend, Lois, Jerry meets an old rival, who suspects that he cheated in a high school race and he wants a rematch with Jerry to prove he was faster. Elaine is put on a "blacklist" for Chinese food delivery and finds out her boyfriend is a Communist. George responds to a personal ad in a Communist newspaper while at work, when Steinbrenner hears about it, he wants to see George in his office. Through his friend Mickey, Kramer becomes a department store Santa, who later spouts out Communist propaganda.

Put 'em together you get "so this dude pulls a Rosie Ruiz in a race, only it was a bus and he later apologized for the misunderstanding."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

‘Unfare’

was that another bad pun regarding bus fare or is that one of those words we Yanks have learned to change the spelling on in the last 200 years?  It's no fare writing articles we Americans cannot understand. 

"unfare", since it is in quotes, refers to the bus fare.  A bad pun.  (well, not _so_ bad)  Unfair is still spelled unfair in the US.

However, the orignal poster does have errors in his post.  "maybe be" instead of "may be".  "a sleep" instead of "asleep".  "to" instead of "two".

You touch on something intersting, though.  The difference in spelling between English and American words (colour/color, that sort of thing).

Seems we hated the Brits so much back in the early 1800s, that some genius decided we had to have our own "language".  So they changed the spelling on all those words, somehow thinking it would make American English a separate language.   Something all our own.

Dumb.

Jeff

thanks to Trent for finding an article in the President's English.  so many odd things here.

race director's PB times include a 3:46 mile.  he's not exactly an idiot about running.  you'd think somone might pull this at a Rock and Roll marathon or something. 

a 2:51 takes 3rd?  maybe it was a smaller race than I thought. 

he wins a 10k and decides to run a marathon the next day and act like he could run a 21-minute personal best time? 

However, the orignal poster does have errors in his post.  "maybe be" instead of "may be".  "a sleep" instead of "asleep".  "to" instead of "two".

You touch on something intersting, though.  The difference in spelling between English and American words (colour/color, that sort of thing).

These are orignal and intersting thots.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

MrH

People never cease to amaze me.  

The part of the article that was most surprising to me was the reference to a tourist bus in Northumberland.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The part of the article that was most surprising to me was the reference to a tourist bus in Northumberland.

"hitched a ride on a spectator shuttle bus"

in the fourth season of the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, "It's Better to Have Loved and Lost It..." we learn that Geoffrey Butler (the butler) hit the wall (literally) then took a cab during the 1976 olympic marathon in Montreal, dropping him off at the stadium to capture the gold, only to have his cheating revealed on the podium, and the Queen of England hit him with a purse and rip the medal from his neck. All is revealed when he shows the family his Shame of a Nation video.

This seems to happen a lot in sitcoms.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

in the fourth season of the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, "It's Better to Have Loved and Lost It..." we learn that Geoffrey Butler (the butler) hit the wall (literally) then took a cab during the 1976 olympic marathon in Montreal, dropping him off at the stadium to capture the gold, only to have his cheating revealed on the podium, and the Queen of England hit him with a purse and rip the medal from his neck. All is revealed when he shows the family his Shame of a Nation video.

This seems to happen a lot in sitcoms.

This is an amazing post on a lot of levels. 

xor

And, of course, Barney Stinson ran the NYCM with absolutely no training.  And did "very well".

And then couldn't move his legs and was trapped on the subway until hoodlums stole his medal.

Imminent Catastrophe

I know a guy who only ran one loop of a two-loop 50k and happily accepted his age-group medal after the first loop. After subsequently being exposed and disqualified he explained, "I got lost in the woods and lost count". 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I know a guy who only ran one loop of a two-loop 50k and happily accepted his age-group medal after the first loop. After subsequently being exposed and disqualified he explained, "I got lost in the woods and lost count". 

Same dude explained a huge differential (like, 30ish minutes) between 1 back-of-the-pack 10k loop and 3 substantially and no-fucking-way faster 10k loops as "I had to take off my coat."

Seems we hated the Brits so much back in the early 1800s, that some genius decided we had to have our own "language".  So they changed the spelling on all those words, somehow thinking it would make American English a separate language.   Something all our own.

I read a book titled "A is for American" that speaks of the American use of the English language.  It speaks of Noah Webster, and his desire to have an American language.

"Nations have arisen from tongues, not tongues from Nations." Isidore of Seville

"A national language is a national tie, and what country wants it more than America?" Noah Webster

So, Webster went about changing English by changing the spelling of words, and had originally proposed changing the looks of the alphabet characters.

Interestingly, in 1790, the first American census, 25% of the population (1 million out of 4 million) spoke a language other than English, and since the war had ended, there was a lot of effort (or consideration) to make radical change.

By way of example, G-H-O-T-I could be pronounced "FISH" by taking the "GH" of laugh, the "O" of women, and the "TI" of nation.  But, those radical spelling changes did not pass, and Noah Webster made the changes much more simple ("color" vs. "colour").

Great book.  Worth reading (if you can find it).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

race director's PB times include a 3:46 mile.  he's not exactly an idiot about running.  you'd think somone might pull this at a Rock and Roll marathon or something. 

I misread this as "a 3:46 marathon", and I was a little surprised that someone would list a 3:46 marathon as proof that Steve Cram could run.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BTW, if we really want to establish spelling independence, we should just change alphabets. How hard could that be? Turkey pulled it off, right? Pakistan too, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.