Marathon Runner Busted for ‘Unfare’ Advantage (Read 1094 times)

I read a book titled "A is for American" that speaks of the American use of the English language.  It speaks of Noah Webster, and his desire to have an American language.

"Nations have arisen from tongues, not tongues from Nations." Isidore of Seville

"A national language is a national tie, and what country wants it more than America?" Noah Webster

So, Webster went about changing English by changing the spelling of words, and had originally proposed changing the looks of the alphabet characters.

Interestingly, in 1790, the first American census, 25% of the population (1 million out of 4 million) spoke a language other than English, and since the war had ended, there was a lot of effort (or consideration) to make radical change.

By way of example, G-H-O-T-I could be pronounced "FISH" by taking the "GH" of laugh, the "O" of women, and the "TI" of nation.  But, those radical spelling changes did not pass, and Noah Webster made the changes much more simple ("color" vs. "colour").

Great book.  Worth reading (if you can find it).

This is a good article/podcast I listened to a few years back on the topic.

http://www.onthemedia.org/2009/sep/18/defining-moments/transcript/

Jeff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I say that the classic is Wants Pawn Term Dare...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Chris UK

May I fuel you're (sic) indignation one more time -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/jan/19/ukcrime.jamessturcke

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

And, of course, Barney Stinson ran the NYCM with absolutely no training.  And did "very well".

And then couldn't move his legs and was trapped on the subway until hoodlums stole his medal.

And Barney's marathon advice is pretty good:

"Here's how you run a marathon - step one: start running....there is no step two"

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

May I fuel you're (sic) indignation one more time -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/jan/19/ukcrime.jamessturcke

Its' (sic) astonishing what the disabled can accomplish.

I know this make shock some people but the quality of reporting isn't always that good on Yahoo! blogs either:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/London-man-DQ-8217-s-after-taking-bus-for-final?urn=oly-wp779

"The worst part of the whole thing? Sloan took a goody bag for his efforts. "

Really?  That was the worst part?  That must have been some goody bag.  It probably had socks AND a hat.  I didn't realize it was a terrible thing to take the goody bag from a race you paid for but did not finish.  Who knew?  And nice one on the irrelevant comment about a woman 9 months pregnant running a marathon in another country. 

A Saucy Wench

I know this make shock some people but the quality of reporting isn't always that good on Yahoo! blogs either:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/London-man-DQ-8217-s-after-taking-bus-for-final?urn=oly-wp779

Really?  That was the worst part?  That must have been some goody bag.  It probably had socks AND a hat.  I didn't realize it was a terrible thing to take the goody bag from a race you paid for but did not finish.  Who knew?  And nice one on the irrelevant comment about a woman 9 months pregnant running a marathon in another country. 

I confess, right here, in front of the world, that last year at Monkey I did not finish and I ate a piece of pie and drank a beer.  OK two beers.  Oh shut up, what are you doing counting my beer anyway.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Seperate story but I love this one at the London marathon 2010 where a man took a 10 mile shortcut to become fastest pensioner at London marathon ever. Suspicions arose when his split timings were 41 mins for the second half of the race - a tad faster than world record pace!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/london-marathon/7792171/Fastest-pensioner-during-London-marathon-took-ten-mile-short-cut.html

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway"

Reading Ennay's post I realized I had finally read something about running from this site that might work for me. 

but... coffee is for closers, and beer is for finishers. 

These bloggers annoy me.  I hope they don't get paid.

Who are they?  What are their "credentials"?  This guy who wrote this post, in particular, I've seen him bashing my local sports team occasionally, which is his right, but he sometimes has some wild opinions, and has bad facts.

I'm not convinced that "blogging" is a good thing.

At least a "real" reporter in a published newspaper would get some sort of peer review, if that's the correct term for something published.

User comments aren't exactly reviews.

Jeff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This guy who wrote this post, in particular, I've seen him bashing my local sports team occasionally, which is his right, but he sometimes has some wild opinions, and has bad facts.  

Now you can see clearly that he has no sense of sportsmanship or fair play at all, from the quoted article.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Believe

Maybe I can find a TARC bus along the Ohio in Louisville on Sunday.Big grin  Nah, better to crawl across the finish than cheat!