Hernia Pain (Read 46 times)

robertaajr

I haven't posted on here in probably over 5 years. About 5 years ago I had Athletic Pubalgia. I remember seeing a physical therapist and he advised me stop running but I had 3 Marathons scheduled and would qualify for the marathon maniacs if I finished them. So I ran them and began Physical Therapy a few weeks after. I tried running for the last 5 years but never could with consistency. I felt like I lost 5 years of my life without running. SO lately I've finally been running again. For the last few months I've been running without pain. But my last few runs have really bothered my groin again. I can feel the same pain coming back that I've battled for years. I've been stretching and trying to foam roll and do exercises that will help. I train every day at a gym. I'm just at that point I feel like I'd rather do what I love and be in pain. Rather than not do what I love and feel like I'm dying a little bit every day. Most people don't understand how broken I felt without running. I felt like I lost a part of myself. And I don't think I could go without running again. 5 years ago the Doctor told me that I should come to the realization I won't ever run again without pain and I should just stop. I can't do that. I've battled and fought for 5 years to get back here. I haven't ran a race in almost 5 years. It felt so good to run again and be training. Any advice? Anyone else go through anything similar? Anyone running with pain that will never go away? Do you understand where I'm coming from. It just sucks running through pain because I'm not the same runner. Anyways it felt great just to write about running again. Thanks for your time.

SMART Approach

What have you done in last few weeks different compared to the first couple months back running? Is it possible you are doing more than body wants to or can recover from? What does your current schedule and intensity look like? Never ignore pain.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kilkee

runktrun

I pulled my "groin" a few years ago doing swiss ball exercises.  I'm still upset over the fact that it wasn't even a running injury!  Ugh.  My best guess is it was adductor aponeurosis tear on the right with some involvement of the RA above that on both sides, coupled with already unstable pubic symphysis.  So the traumatic tear added to an already precarious pelvic situation.

1. Stop stretching the area(s) that hurt.

2. Try to find a pelvic floor therapist. You're going to need to recruit every core and pelvic muscle possible to take some strain off the injured area.  Avoid exercises that hurt, too.  Modify core exercises, like planks, to simple start with very basic isometric activations, like lying on your back, legs 90* on the wall, posterior tilt your pelvis and engage your TA and pelvic floor (like kegles for dudes).

3. Investigate PRP.  I had PRP right in the aponeurosis, and while I think it healed that tear, the time off to let the PRP heal exacerbated my imbalances and overall, my pelvis now feels worse.  I don't regret the PRP, because I think it increased stability in one area, but I regret not advocating harder for myself to schedule PT sooner when I knew the problem was not so simple.  I also regret not dealing with the hernia earlier.  I saw two sports med doc who brushed it off as a mild strain.... 

4. Hernia surgery is an option, but should be a last resort and definitely coupled with intensive PT.  What often happens is the hernia repair strengthens one area, but the underlying imbalances that caused the tear are not resolved, and the strain moves to another areas of your pelvis, usually your adductor, and then something else hurts and may tear.  Not always; the hernia could be bad luck overuse without underlying complicated pathology.

For me, it's not the pain, but the loss of efficiency in my gait.  On bad days, it's like my hips just shut down and don't let me run.

You'll probably be able to modify your training to avoid dysfunction with the help of a PT and continue running, but I strongly suggest getting back with a PT soon.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Luciplay

I agree with the comment above, go get to your PT as soon as possible. Prevent whatever's gonna happen in the future.

berlin0099

Hello user we here and play a new game free mahjong games this is right time and now sign in your account.

lance85

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I also had severe pelvic pain two years back. And I tried pelvic floor physiotherapy. After the whole therapy session, I felt better. And to date, there are no further issues.

I pulled my "groin" a few years ago doing swiss ball exercises.  I'm still upset over the fact that it wasn't even a running injury!  Ugh.  My best guess is it was adductor aponeurosis tear on the right with some involvement of the RA above that on both sides, coupled with already unstable pubic symphysis.  So the traumatic tear added to an already precarious pelvic situation.

1. Stop stretching the area(s) that hurt.

2. Try to find a pelvic floor therapist. You're going to need to recruit every core and pelvic muscle possible to take some strain off the injured area.  Avoid exercises that hurt, too.  Modify core exercises, like planks, to simple start with very basic isometric activations, like lying on your back, legs 90* on the wall, posterior tilt your pelvis and engage your TA and pelvic floor (like kegles for dudes).

3. Investigate PRP.  I had PRP right in the aponeurosis, and while I think it healed that tear, the time off to let the PRP heal exacerbated my imbalances and overall, my pelvis now feels worse.  I don't regret the PRP, because I think it increased stability in one area, but I regret not advocating harder for myself to schedule PT sooner when I knew the problem was not so simple.  I also regret not dealing with the hernia earlier.  I saw two sports med doc who brushed it off as a mild strain.... 

4. Hernia surgery is an option, but should be a last resort and definitely coupled with intensive PT.  What often happens is the hernia repair strengthens one area, but the underlying imbalances that caused the tear are not resolved, and the strain moves to another areas of your pelvis, usually your adductor, and then something else hurts and may tear.  Not always; the hernia could be bad luck overuse without underlying complicated pathology.

For me, it's not the pain, but the loss of efficiency in my gait.  On bad days, it's like my hips just shut down and don't let me run.

You'll probably be able to modify your training to avoid dysfunction with the help of a PT and continue running, but I strongly suggest getting back with a PT soon.