Masters Forum in Communities (Read 1128 times)

With respect, Masters Running is a major category. All racers know this. This is why it should be listed on the main page. I agree with others here that organization and lack of clutter are good. That's why I favor a main page that lists all the major categories--like Masters Running--so people can easily find the major categories and then drill down to the threads within that category. That is exactly how the Cool Running forums worked: very obvious, very intuitive, very clearly organized. Those of us who are refugees from Cool Running are used to that kind of structure. By comparison, even though the page layout here is very nice, very clean, very attractive, the organization of forums/groups/threads looks haphazard compared to what many of us are used to. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

You'll ruin your knees!

With respect, Masters Running is a major category. All racers know this. This is why it should be listed on the main page. I agree with others here that organization and lack of clutter are good. That's why I favor a main page that lists all the major categories--like Masters Running--so people can easily find the major categories and then drill down to the threads within that category. That is exactly how the Cool Running forums worked: very obvious, very intuitive, very clearly organized. Those of us who are refugees from Cool Running are used to that kind of structure. By comparison, even though the page layout here is very nice, very clean, very attractive, the organization of forums/groups/threads looks haphazard compared to what many of us are used to. Dark Horse
      ...so much...must not...go...there...focus... OK, it's already been said so I won't repeat it. Give the groups a try. Once you join, all of the groups in which you are a member are listed under "My Groups", just a click or two can get you there. Even as a master runner, I'd rather keep the main page simple and clutter free. My vote is to give it a chance as a gropu and keep it off the forum page. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

...so much...must not...go...there...focus...
        Glad you posted lynn. My BP was rising! And to call eric haphazard. Please! Some folks. Can't see the forest, for the trees.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Prophet!

I was putting my log in cool running. I left CR for RA because i preferred the clean lines here and I don't think forums/groups/threads here are haphazard at all. if Masters Running is a major category, then how bout High School, College Running, XC, 5K runners, the list goes on... Groups Rocks. RA Rocks!

#artbydmcbride

I changed my mind. I disagree with Dark Horse now. Masters Running should stay a user group. But open to anyone to post and read in. Cool Thank you!

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't forget boobs. There needs to be a major category for runners who are also boobs.

#artbydmcbride

You are already remembering it wrong DH. Boomers wasn't part of the main community of forums it was a sub category of age group fora. It only had Way Cool Running for teenagers, and Boomers & Beyond for geezer runners. This set up is better. Thank you!

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do think that listing the "My Groups" groups off to the right on the main groups page would be useful and would save a click without making the screen too sloppy.
                    I do think that listing the "My Groups" groups off to the right on the main groups page would be useful and would save a click without making the screen too sloppy.
                    Agreed. All those in favor...

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Agreed. All those in favor...
                      Aye. Gah, now I sound like a pirate. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Could you make it singular for me though, since I only have the one group. With respect, lots of things are Major Categories. But I think there are already too many forums. I say we cut it down to two big messy buckets: Running and Not Running. This is exactly the opposite of how the Cool Running forums worked, which is why we, the people who found (and in some cases founded) RunningAhead were here instead of Cool Running, even before Cool Running melted down. Because we didn't like things very clean, very organized, very attractive. We liked things haphazard compared to what many Coolrunners were used to. Mikemike

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We clearly don't like things too attractive. I mean, take Scout for example. Wink
                          mikeymike

Right. And we won't even discuss Jeff's feet.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You are already remembering it wrong DH. Boomers wasn't part of the main community of forums it was a sub category of age group fora. It only had Way Cool Running for teenagers, and Boomers & Beyond for geezer runners.
                              Ilene, You are right, but that's only a detail. My point is, Cool Running had a drill-down structure, from the general topic to the specific threads relating to that topic. This place is a hybrid: there's a main page for major topics--and Masters Running is certainly a major topic--but there are also these randomly created user groups, which are a different animal altogether and are not organized under the major topics. To me, it's confusing, because the overall impression is of disorganization. I like to know where to find things, and I like the places where I find things to be predictable and rational. I also happen to think that websites which are organized logically are more effective and just plain work better for their users. If someone visits this website for the first time, he or she will see a list of major topics which does not include Masters Running. Is this a good thing? I don't think so. Even if the visitor knows there is a masters group somewhere on the website, why hide it and make it difficult to find? Why not put it out in plain view? I don't understand how anyone could disagree with this point of view. Maybe I'm missing something: it's been known to happen. Smile Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.