Most Annual Miles Run Since 1980--Age 66 (2,680--2 days to get to 2,700) (Read 1255 times)

I have been very fortunate. Started logging miles in April, 1976 (age 32-after quitting smoking-pack a day for 12 yrs prior). Currently at 70,535 miles. Ran 2,508 last yr--including a BQ 3:57 at  64 1/2. With 2700 this year, that is the most I have run in 2 consecutive years in over 33 yrs of running. Proud and more importantly--very greatful.

446 races from 1 mile to 100K--well I DNF the 100K. 17 marathons:PR:3:16 back in '85. 50 mile PR:8:12 early 80's. 1 sub 18 minute 5K in '85. 10K PR: 36:42 in '85. Was a good yr. Note: I PR'd every distance nearly 10 yrs after I started logging the miles. I find that true of a lot of folks.

I have coached a lot of runners over the yrs. Best advice I can give runners is slow down, make it fun, it is OK to walk some, rest days are a good idea. I normally train at 2-3 minutes slower than my race pace. When I ran 5:50's for 5/10K's I trained around 9 min mile pace. Currently average between 7:20-7:40 per mile for 5K/10K and train at 10:30's +.

I have seen many runners come and go over the last 3+ decades. Most join the largest running club in the world--I Use To Run But........Club. The vast majority that I know in that club ran too fast, too often, too far and never developed one of the most important attributes of a lifetime runner:PATIENCE.

Thanks for letting me blow my horn. Remember---there is no finish line.

Nick

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice job Nick!  Good luck on getting the 2,700 and happy New Year!

Here's to a great 2010!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jfa

Awesome Nick! Your advice early on has helped a countless number of us former CRers get started on the right path.

Good Luck reaching your goals!

an amazing likeness

It's been ages since you've posted here Nick, good to see you're still around. I use your "start slow and back it down from there" mantra often. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thats great Nick.......what an accomplishment....

And you threw out some decent advice too..........

Here is wishing you another 77,000+ miles...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go Nick!  2 days to go!!
              missy1102

simply amazing, nick. keep up the good work!
                  This is weird, I was just thinking about you today...and here you are.  Congrats!   Nice job on the BQ too.

Believe

Absolutely grand.  I hope I am still running 18 years from now (66) and maybe I'll make at least the 2,000 miles per year club once and perhaps an ultra as well.

Congrats and good luck on the 2,700. 

flatland mountaineer

Congratulations Nick, you are an inspiration and a big part of the reason I am still at it.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I have coached a lot of runners over the yrs. Best advice I can give runners is slow down, make it fun, it is OK to walk some, rest days are a good idea. I normally train at 2-3 minutes slower than my race pace. When I ran 5:50's for 5/10K's I trained around 9 min mile pace. Currently average between 7:20-7:40 per mile for 5K/10K and train at 10:30's +.

I have seen many runners come and go over the last 3+ decades. Most join the largest running club in the world--I Use To Run But........Club. The vast majority that I know in that club ran too fast, too often, too far and never developed one of the most important attributes of a lifetime runner:PATIENCE.

Thanks for letting me blow my horn. Remember---there is no finish line.

Nick

Nick I welcome the horn blowing... especially when it is noise that makes sense and works wonders for all concerned.  Too fast is the first mistake most returning, new and inexperienced runners make.  Too far is the second.  Third would be that they do not make it fun.  Being a military man myself I have to counsel those who try and push the younguns too much.  It is a learned thing to slow down and enjoy it.  We did an experiment once and my person performed better after 6 weeks so I know slowing down and making it fun works.

Congrats on your many many accomplishments and may running long be a way of life for you.  I was inspired by a 65+ year old guy who would raun daily.  He ran a bit slower then I did when I was a youngster in my teens but the dude could still cruise.  I talked him into running a workout with our Cross Country team... he smoked all but the three fastest guys we had.

Keep on keeping on...

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

That's great stuff Nick.  If it doesn't cut into your running, stop by here a little more often.  Keep it rolling!

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats and thanks for the insight.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Dave

Happy New Year, Nick!  And congrats on the BQ run.

Keep up the great work.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Yikes!! Thanks for the warm and kind comments. Why have I stayed away so long? Probably out running. (:

Well, I am at 2,691 miles with tomorrow to make it happen. Again, very greatful. The mantra: start EZ, then back off.

I was a volunteer coach for a local middle school x country team this Fall. YEOW! I had my hands full. 32 male/female 6/7/8th graders. Trying to get them to slow down. I would run from my house--31/2 miles, run with them several miles--attempt to coach. Then run home. I had several of the kids tell me my legs are awful skinny. Hopefully them seeing a 66 yr old still moving will be a reminder to keep their bodies in motion and live a fit life style. It was fun and a gift to me.

Again thanks for the nice comments.

Happy/Heathy/Fit New Year,

Nick

PS Did I mention that hydration is important? Before, during, and after. Water has worked for billions of folks since the beginning. Oh, it doesn't have to be bottled water. Gee, I wish I had thought of that concept.