Vaporfly 4% in NYT (Read 87 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Huh...the first study was performed at my alma mater. Go, GVSU Lakers!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Joann Y

Do you think it is really just the elites that are getting something "extra" out of it? I kind of feel like I am missing out on something. Will it pass into oblivion like so many other things? I am assuming not since elites wouldn't be using them if they didn't work. Curious where it will go from here.

HermosaBoy

I have a pair of them and found them to be light and responsive. Additionally, they made me run a bit differently which caused my quads and hip flexors to balk at me during a marathon (dropped just before mile 18). Could that have been different if I had done a few more long runs in them? Maybe...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The reviews from most folks is overwhelmingly positive. I haven't found many people that have said the shoe is just hype. If anything, people may think that it's underhyped, which is crazy to me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Joann Y

The reviews from most folks is overwhelmingly positive. I haven't found many people that have said the shoe is just hype. If anything, people may think that it's underhyped, which is crazy to me.

Yeah, that's why I feel like I'm missing out! Did you get some?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I did. Haven't raced in them, but even just doing some quick strides, they feel unlike anything I've ever worn. I can see why over long distances they would be amazing.

Would be curious to hear from others that have raced in them for a half or full.

At CIM last weekend, it was absolutely stunning how many VF 4%s were out there (including me).  I think I read that CIM will go down as the deepest marathon of the year with 99 women running the Olympic qualifying standard and 55 men.  2:30 got you 165th place out of only 7800 runners...at NY, it got you 62nd out of 50K runners.  I get that it was totally different courses but also totally different prize money with CIM being nearly exclusively US runners thanks to it being the USATF championships.   I wish I had data for how many runners wore the VFs but my non-scientific observation is that the hype is legit.  Granted race conditions were absolutely ideal as well but it just seems like a hell of a lot of people had a hell of a good day.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I bought a pair recently and my longest run so far was a 10k race a few weeks ago and they felt good during the race. But warm up/cool down/easy pace they feel very unstable. After the race I had aches just above my ankles for a few days which was definitely because of the shoes, so my plan is to use them next year in training (mostly MP longer runs) and if they don’t give me any grief then I’ll buy a new pair for the marathon.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Hey Mikkey I will do you a favour and you can give them to me 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hey Mikkey I will do you a favour and you can give them to me 

Absolutely, you can have my worn out VF shoes that I used for training....and I’ll wear my brand new ones at Brighton. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)