VERY high resting heart rate... what gives? (Read 1086 times)

Speediest Slug There Is!

Ever since I can remember I've had a resting heart rate in the 80s. The last time I went to the doctor I was shocked to see it was 92! No health professional has ever mentioned it to me or indicated it should be a cause for concern -- I have normal blood pressure and levels of cholesterol and all that sort of thing. I assumed since I've been running a few months, it would have dropped at least a little, but the ''hard and fast'' method still indicates my heart-rate is somewhere in the 80s. Is it reasonable to suppose that it will naturally decline as I get more physically fit? Are there just some people who have high resting rates no matter how much they exercise and take care of themselves? Does it put me at any particular risk for anything? Does it mean I may be working anaerobically more easily than the average person? Also, might it have to do with a predisposal to anxiety? I was just wondering.
    Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    Goals:
    *Complete a 5K (no walking)
    Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
    *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
    *15 mpw base
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"Normal" heart rate is 60-100. 80 falls squarely in that zone. Runners with low heart rates are not normal. But their low heart rates are usually a response to training rather than to cardiac disease, so we overlook their heart rate abnormality when assessing their health.

Speediest Slug There Is!

Oh. Well thanks. Smile
        Fall seven times, stand up eight.
        Goals:
        *Complete a 5K (no walking)
        Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
        *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
        *15 mpw base

A Saucy Wench

Slug - what I have noticed for me. My TRUE resting heart rate (first thing in the morning lying peacefully and drowsily) has dropped somewhat since starting running, but not by as much as you might think. The problem is getting a true resting HR is tough for me....usually wake up to an alarm which sends HR skyrocketing, etc. etc. I took it once when I had strapped on my HRM and then realized I was 30 minutes early to meet my running partner so I lay back down and recorded as I drifted back off to sleep. That is probably the most accurate I have ever gotten. What has dropped more for me is my "daytime" RHR - the one you take when you sit around for a couple minutes. But that one has more variability also. It is lower than it was before because it takes more effort to get my HR up as high and I recover quicker. So the walk across the parking lot to the dr's office has less effect. But even now my HR in the doc's office can vary by so much visit to visit. What I ate, how long ago, was there any caffeine, sugar, anxiety, stress, the beat of the song that is playing on the radio, how late was I for the appointment, how rushed did I feel, am I overly hot, etc. jmo

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

db7

Join the Low Heart Rate Training Group and spend some time reading some of the threads there. You will find some very useful things. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Also keep in mind that a lot of people have elevated heart rate at the doctor's office. When I measure my HR at home its 55-65 but at the doc its always WAY higher because my anxiety levels raise a bit.

running yogi

My resting heart rate is in the upper 80s too. I never could figure it out. Doctors or people who don't know me just assume I am a couch potato.
                Ever since I can remember I've had a resting heart rate in the 80s. The last time I went to the doctor I was shocked to see it was 92! No health professional has ever mentioned it to me or indicated it should be a cause for concern -- I have normal blood pressure and levels of cholesterol and all that sort of thing. I assumed since I've been running a few months, it would have dropped at least a little, but the ''hard and fast'' method still indicates my heart-rate is somewhere in the 80s. Is it reasonable to suppose that it will naturally decline as I get more physically fit? Are there just some people who have high resting rates no matter how much they exercise and take care of themselves? Does it put me at any particular risk for anything? Does it mean I may be working anaerobically more easily than the average person? Also, might it have to do with a predisposal to anxiety? I was just wondering.
                Purdey

Self anointed title

am I overly hot?
                  Totally hot. But very difficult to achieve "overly hot".