Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

King of PhotoShop

Some of you may know that I write an online column on running for the Dallas Morning News.  I would like your help for an upcoming article.  You are all familiar with the various "rules of thumb" in running and I want to do a piece about the subject, with input and feedback on their reliability or accuracy. Examples might be things like:  10% per week mileage increase when building mileage, 3 times your daily average for sustaining marathon pace, no more than 10-15% of weekly mileage should be quality.  I'm sure you know many others but those are examples of what I'm talking about.

If you would like to pitch in, select a "rule of thumb" that you're familiar with it, and your experience with it. Why or why doesn't it always work?  What are your thoughts?

I'd appreciate hearing from a few of you with your ideas.  Thank you so much.  Spareribs

Kalsarikännit

Any bad chafing that you have will become 726% more painful upon stepping into the shower.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Any bad chafing that you have will become 726% more painful upon stepping into the shower.

Can't anybody be serious around here?

That's about as serious and true as it gets, actually.

And make sure you've identified the culprit for the chafing and throw out the shirt/shorts immediately upon getting home, so next time you are not stuck with bleeding thighs/nipples 7 miles from your home/car

King of PhotoShop

I think Wrigley's percentages may be a bit off but her post was funny.  And now that she's broken the ice, where are bhearn, spaniel, srlopez and all the knowledgeable posters?  Spareribs

hectortrojan

Do not get into the mumbo jumbo of training and rules of thumb. Do not forget why you started running in the first place. You did it because you love it. So keep doing what you love doing.

bhearn

I think Wrigley's percentages may be a bit off but her post was funny.  And now that she's broken the ice, where are bhearn, spaniel, srlopez and all the knowledgeable posters?  Spareribs

So it's the knowledgeable ones, and then we three...

an amazing likeness

- You can't prepare for a race without a plan / coach

- Too much running is bad for your knees / ankles

- No more than x% (25% ?) of your weekly mileage should be in your long run(s)

- your time in min:secs for a workout of 10 x 800 meters with recovery time predicts your marathon time in hr:min (Yasso 800 rule)

-  the halfway point for a marathon is @ 20mi, for a half marathon it's @ 9mi

- 63.8% of all statistics are made up

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

npaden

Run a lot.  Mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

jpdeaux

R.I.C.E.

Running.

It

Cures

Everything

#artbydmcbride

1/3 of your weekly mileage in marathon training should be at or faster than your goal marathon pace.

Don't wear anything new on race day

Don't walk around all day sightseeing the day before you run the Boston marathon.

Runners run

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

- No more than x% (25% ?) of your weekly mileage should be in your long run(s)

That's especially important if you run only three times weekly.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

we all know one of the most important things to do is stayed hydrated.  so my simple rule of thumb for water to bring is this:

4 oz. of water for every mile > 4 miles on my route for every 10 degrees F above 50 degrees, then multiply by 2 if humid and by 2 if sunny or 1.5 if partly cloudy.  then divide by the number of useable water sources on my run and add 4 oz. just to be sure, but leave it home if less than 8 oz.

Simple!

SubDood

Cadence of 180 steps per minute was useful in improving my form -- it stopped me from obsessing about foot strike, etc.

1 day rest/recovery for every mile raced. Not that I closely follow this one.