Dallas- Cancelled. Therefore road trip: BCS Marathon (Read 290 times)

I think post-race is outside.   http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/more-sports/running/headlines/20131121-fetterman-officials-hope-change-in-dallas-marathon-post-race-logistics-will-add-to-experience.ece

I was on the Board of Trustees for the Dallas race for over 20 years.  It is a conservative board (as it should be), and if there is any chance of danger due to conditions, the race will not be held.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

joescott

...deal with Texas drivers on ice.

Lived in Fort Worth for 5 years.  My favorite on an icy day was big 4WD pickups off the road in the ditch because the morons don't realize that 4WD don't stop on ice any better than any other car.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Lived in Fort Worth for 5 years.  My favorite on an icy day was big 4WD pickups off the road in the ditch because the morons don't realize that 4WD don't stop on ice any better than any other car.

My favorite is semis slow motion sliding back/off big overpasses.  makes for good TV

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

My dad ran a tow service for many years.  For Dad 4WD meant "forty-feet-further" .  He loved pulling those guys out of the ditch ..and billing them.

Tim 

Dallas Marathon is cancelled.

Just received the email.  Time to stop sharpening my skate and hang them up for a few more years.

Participants and friends of the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon,

Safety of our participants, as well as our volunteers and spectators, is our primary concern on MetroPCS Dallas Marathon race weekend.

We met this morning with officials from the City of Dallas, Dallas Police Department and the Office of Special Events to assess the situation. Due to current weather conditions, and forecasted conditions for Saturday and Sunday, as of today at 12:40 p.m., the decision has been collaboratively made to cancel the 2013 MetroPCS Dallas Marathon.

We regret that the race will not go on as planned, but are confident this decision is in the best interest of our runners, volunteers, spectators and the general public.

Additionally, the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon Health & Fitness Expo for Friday and Saturday has been canceled.

Sincerely,

Your MetroPCS Dallas Marathon Staff

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Whoa, sorry Brian (not that I wanted you to run under such conditions).  Do you have a Plan B yet?

TxDiverMom

The BCS (Bryan College Station) is having their race this Sunday.  They are opening up a few new slots due to cancellations of people who couldn't get there.  It is a GREAT race.  Fairly small, capped at 5000 for HM and I think 3000 for Marathon.  It is a really good organization run by people who are runners and just started it to raise money for their charity a few years ago.

They will post a link on their Facebook page for folks to register.  It is probably a PR type course with cold but decent weather on Sunday.

I live in Houston and have lots of friends running it.  The HM last year was my first half.

The slots will open at 4:00 PM and will probably be filled quickly!!!

TxDiverMom

www.bcsmarathon.webconnex.com

joescott

Wow.  Well, although it sucks, it sounds like it was probably for the best.  Although I know that is hollow comfort after 16 weeks or so of sacrifice and dedication.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Whoa, sorry Brian (not that I wanted you to run under such conditions).  Do you have a Plan B yet?

Plan B was (and is) the BCS Marathon in College Station, TX.  I'm was able to register.  The race is the same day as the Dallas Marathon.

I had that in sight for a couple of hours (after the cancellation).

We were able to get in the race through the 4pm opening linked by TXDiverMom.

We get to skate down to College Station and run around Texas A&M Sunday.

FWIW, the behind the scenes story about why I'm doing this race is super cool, but would make a short story very long.

If you care to find out though, click here.  My running partner for this weekend is Kyle's widow, Ley.  Kyle was a Texas A&M grad who was named after Kyle Field.  Kyle's dad was a Dallas Cowboy back in the early 70s.  We're all raising money for an orphanage named "Kyles House" in Zambia in memory of her late husband, and this is our homestretch of their drive.  If you feel compelled during this holiday season, consider a donation to this great cause!  (I wasn't going to mention it here, but timing and circumstances are pretty darn cool!)

Life Goals:

TxDiverMom

That is just fantastic!!!  Y'all will love this race as the people who are putting it on fit with y'all perfectly!!!  They, like your running buddy, are love A&M and the BCS sponsors a charity very similar to the one y'all are raising money for.  Chris Field's charity is Mercy Project in Ghana for children who are in slavery.

Have a great race and look for all those runners in lime green shirts...that Cypress, my running club...there will be a bus load of them plus a few more!!!

That is just fantastic!!!  Y'all will love this race as the people who are putting it on fit with y'all perfectly!!!  They, like your running buddy, are love A&M and the BCS sponsors a charity very similar to the one y'all are raising money for.  Chris Field's charity is Mercy Project in Ghana for children who are in slavery.

Have a great race and look for all those runners in lime green shirts...that Cypress, my running club...there will be a bus load of them plus a few more!!!

Thanks.  Yes, my friend was able to have some dialogue with the race director earlier this afternoon, and the similarities between the charities are definitely part of what makes this short story pretty long.  I'm really looking forward to the race.

I'll look for the green shirt people.

There'll be a few of us wearing our "Kyle's House" shirts down there as well.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

xhristopher

Sorry dude. Glad you have a plan B.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My running partner for this weekend is Kyle's widow, Ley.  Kyle was a Texas A&M grad who was named after Kyle Field.  Kyle's dad was a Dallas Cowboy back in the early 70s.  We're all raising money for an orphanage named "Kyles House" in Zambia in memory of her late husband, and this is our homestretch of their drive.  If you feel compelled during this holiday season, consider a donation to this great cause!  (I wasn't going to mention it here, but timing and circumstances are pretty darn cool!)

Man, sorry the race got canceled, but wow...so let it be written, so let it be done, huh?  Very cool circumstances, indeed.

Enjoy the race!  Looks like it'll be pretty windy there tonight and tomorrow, but slowing down on Sunday.  Temps will be a little warmer than Dallas would've been, obviously.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

The BCS Marathon has been great And very accommodating for the Dallas Marathon people. I met with the race director this afternoon and he even allowed a fried of mine who was scheduled to do the Sacramento marathon tomorrow who who his flight cancelled this morning to sign up this afternoon.

Chris Field deserves a lot of praise for accommodating 'us'.  I will definitely run another race down here again.

Now, it's dinner time, then sleep, then race.  Regarding my original post in this thread, it won't be a PR attempt.  I'm running side by side with my dear friend Ley and encouraging her to the finish line.

Cheers!

Brian

Life Goals: