How do you make yours runs a priority? (Read 960 times)

I am trying to get more consistent with my runs. I would like to get at least 20 miles a week but end up with much less. I always get my long run but let life get in the way of my mid week runs. I am a SAHM to a 4yr old who just started school part-time and an 8yr old,so it would seem this would be much easier. This is what happens. DH or my best friend who wants me to babysit calls "what's on your agenda today?' My answer is always " oh I just have to run" How can I make myself say I'm running and then I can help you. I cannot run early because I have to get the kid's out the door and running at 5am is not my style. I can do short run's after dinner but I don't have alot of gas left if you know what I mean. I feel selfish saying I can't help you I have to run today. Any advise.
      I am trying to get more consistent with my runs. I would like to get at least 20 miles a week but end up with much less. I always get my long run but let life get in the way of my mid week runs. I am a SAHM to a 4yr old who just started school part-time and an 8yr old,so it would seem this would be much easier. This is what happens. DH or my best friend who wants me to babysit calls "what's on your agenda today?' My answer is always " oh I just have to run" How can I make myself say I'm running and then I can help you. I cannot run early because I have to get the kid's out the door and running at 5am is not my style. I can do short run's after dinner but I don't have alot of gas left if you know what I mean. I feel selfish saying I can't help you I have to run today. Any advise.
      Don't feel selfish. I think it's a pretty common thing to feel, especially when you're a mom, you have a tendancy to put everyone else first. It took me a long time to get past it (well, I still feel guilty at times), but you really need to take the time for yourself. Saying a gentle no to people is difficult at first, but they'll catch on. You just have to make it a regular part of your day, like getting the kids to school , getting dressed, etc. Step 3- go run. Not only will you be making yourself happy, but it will spill over to your family and friends too! Let us know how it's going for you! Smile
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There's something I know someone else had made note of not long ago. When one flies with children they are instructed to ALWAYS apply their oxygen mask BEFORE applying masks to their kids in the event of an emergency landing. The reason being that if the parent is incapacitated, then there is no hope of the small kids properly applying their own masks and everyone in the family is put at risk. This goes for a parent's health, too. Take care of your health first and foremost and the rest falls into place. Running will give you better overall health and energy, which will make caring for your family that much easier. AND running or any exercise has the added benefit of helping relieve the stresses of parenting. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I completely feel your pain, as I am in the same boat. I used to run at 5:00 a.m., but since the petroleum priced skyrocketed, my company went to a 4 day, 10-hour workweek, and we now work 6:00-5:00 Mon-Thurs. I didn`t mind getting up at 4:30 or so to go run, but I can`t get up at 3:45. I would have to be in bed at 7:30 and with two kids, that is impossible. Now, you really can`t run after dinner for obvious reasons. And I can`t sleep if I go run at 8:30 or 9:00. I tried that back in July because of the heat, and ended up suffering from severe fatigue because of the long hours at work and not enough rest. The DW gets upset that I can`t eat dinner with the rest of the family because I have to "go run". My log shows it too. I have had to take off a full week off recently because of some hamstring issues, and right now, all of my runs are short and easy ones. Add to that, the entire state of Arkansas has been covered by the remnants of Gustav for the last two days. I`ve threatened to just go anyway in the driving rain, (I`ve done it lots of times before and wondered why later on), but there you go again, it`s all how you "prioritize it". I probably can`t answer your question, but as you can see, you aren`t the only one with this problem. It was so much easier when I used to run everday at 5:00 a.m. and it didn`t interfere with anyone else`s schedule. If you figure out a way to do it, let me know what you did!
          "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
            There's something I know someone else had made note of not long ago. When one flies with children they are instructed to ALWAYS apply their oxygen mask BEFORE applying masks to their kids in the event of an emergency landing. The reason being that if the parent is incapacitated, then there is no hope of the small kids properly applying their own masks and everyone in the family is put at risk. This goes for a parent's health, too. Take care of your health first and foremost and the rest falls into place. Running will give you better overall health and energy, which will make caring for your family that much easier. AND running or any exercise has the added benefit of helping relieve the stresses of parenting. Smile
            This is really good way of looking at it. Women normally give way too much and especially to their children. I cant answer for other people, but in my house, everyone knows that when I get home from work in the evening that I am going straight to the bed room, changing to my running stuff and going out for my run....at first my wife or kids would want something or want me to do something but now they all know that Im going to get my run in...so now they will ask me things like 'after you are back can we>>>>>> or what ever'....so if you can figure out a time that works for you and LITERALLY PUT YOUR STUFF ON AND GO - PERIOD (No questions asked) and then resume life....everyone will quickly adjust..... Its not always easy...but you can do it if you put your foot down on this one...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Krisruns

I was in a similar situation. I happen to be a morning person so 5 am isn't too hard, but even if I weren't a morning person, I can tell you that it feels GREAT to start off the day doing something for myself. Each night I set out all of my gear so I just stumble into it and head out the door before I can talk myself out of running. It's easier to take care of this commitment first thing each day before my schedule becomes unmanageable. But if the mornings are too hard, I would echo what others have said about picking a time and sticking with it. Someone once told me to think of exercise like brushing your teeth...no matter how hard your day is, you wouldn't skip brushing, and you should feel the same about exercise. And remember...you are setting a great example for your kids! Good luck!

Best Present Ever

I have a 4 and 7 year old (my oldest is 22, so he's not too much trouble right now!) and i work full time, as does my husband. Honestly, if I didn't run early, it would be harder. My husband goes to the gym MWF so I have to get the kids out the door those days. At least one of those days, I"m out the door by 5 to be back home before he leaves for the gym at 6:15. T/Th I meet my running group at 6 am, so I get up and out and my husband deals with the kids. Sat am long runs are sacrosanct, and I rarely reschedule -- my husband's on his own for a few hours and we just schedule our weekends knowing that. Sometimes I flex a little -- if there are 2 different soccer games and he can't do both, I'll run earlier to be back in time, or I'll run from home rather than driving and meeting a group, and very rarely I'll switch my long run to Sunday if needed. Or I'll recruit my mother-in-law ... Sundays we go to the gym together and leave the kids at my mother-in-law's. : ) Running just has to take precedence over almost everything else. I'll say that once you get used to early morning runs, they are really great. You just have to make them happen. I will almost never run later in the day, but sometimes I persuade myself that I might go to the gym at lunch or after work. I frequently find that I end up missing the workout. Also, and this isn't great for, umm, marital relations, but I'll sometimes sleep in my running bra and shorts. Somehow, getting that bra on at 5 am seems too damn hard, but if all I have to do is put on a shirt and shoes and brush my teeth, getting started is easier We also set the coffee pot to brew automatically so that I smell coffee when I wake up and can have a little cup before I head out. If this helps, one of the best things about running for me is that my kids take it for granted that mamas run. My little guy will say things like "is that motocycle going EVEN FASTER THAN MAMA?" as if I'm the standard by which speed is measured (which is especially hilarious given my hard-won mid-pack status.) good luck with finding what works!
                kcam

As some have said already - Schedule your run for the same time every day. No ifs ands or buts. 10AM - 11AM Running (or whatever time is best). Pretty soon all your friends know that that is YOUR time and they won't even bother to ask any more. Does it sound selfish? Well, it is.

Hey, nice marmot!

I couldn't help but glance at your log. If you log is accurate, you are virtually asking for an injury. Your long runs consistently compose >70% of your total weekly mileage. That's bad news. Without a good base of weekday miles, your weekend runs might end up hurting you. I believe the general rule of thumb is that your long run shouldn't be much more than 1/3 of your total weekly mileage, with the notable exception being certain marathon training. As to your original question "How do you make your runs a priority?" I'm not sure you're really asking this question. I find it rather difficult to believe that you truly do not know how to make something a priority. It's really not that hard, just commit to doing it. It seems to me like your friend and husband commonly use you as a kind of "on-demand" service provider. You have trouble running consistently because these people keep calling and asking you to do something "right now", thus creating a highly variable schedule for you. Variable schedules are pretty hard to plan around (by definition). This, quite frankly, is bullsh*t. Just because you don't have a job does not mean that you should be on-call to these people. If I were you, I'd force people to start scheduling things with me. Sure, you can still help out "right now" on the rare emergency, but you should try to end the days of "I'll call you at 9, you'll be here by 10". I think you'll find that if you have more of a set schedule, fitting in your weekday runs will be, not seem, much easier. ***Disclaimer: This is just my $0.02. I don't know you. I'm not married to your husband. I don't know your friend and I've never met your kids. The above is just what I think from having read a short description you submitted to an interweb message board. Your mileage may vary.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I hear you. I'm a SAHM; my children are 17 months and 4 years old. I run three times per week: Tuesday and Thursday at 5 (between my DH getting home from work and supper) and one weekend run. It means we eat a little later on Tuesday and Thursday and sometimes my DH finishes making supper while I'm gone. He comes home from work expecting me to go. On the weekend, it's a little more flexible as to when I run. Zoom posted a good analogy about taking care of yourself and the importance of burning off stress. Let me add to that I think my running is important because it teaches my kids that exercise is important and that it is a priority. I also have more energy these days. My husband is really supportive which helps. It was hard at first and I did feel selfish, but now my kids wave to me when I go (no tears from my youngest) and my running is part of our household routine. You'll figure it out.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Feeling the growl again

At the risk of sounding overly simplistic, there is no magic trick to it. You schedule the run, and don't leave it an option to not do it. If other stuff comes up, you either schedule around the run or find another time the same day for the run before electing to move it. People who can't stay consistent just haven't made the mental committment that running is a priority that must be done. It used to be a top priority for me, and I ran 10-13 times per week and rarely moved or skipped a run. Now I'm at a different point in my life, and while I still run 5-8 times per week I simply don't prioritize it as high; at least twice a week I skip a planned run to play with my kid. But it keeps me healthy, and in the long run that's good for my kid as is her growing up seeing mommy and daddy working out and thinking that's normal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The Greatest of All Time

You have to just make time for it. Get up earlier in the morning if you have to. Your body will adjust. But you have to incorporate runs into your schedule to the point that something feels missing if you skip it. You wrote running at 5:00 am is not your style. Not to sound mean, but make it your style. In a couple of weeks you will realize that a nice early morning run is a great kick off to a productive day. And being out on the road when the sun rises is a gift so few take advantage of.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Non ducor, duco.

Have you thought of talking to your friend (and DH) asking for her help? Honesty is almost always the best policy. You could invite the friend over and tell her your goals and how you struggle with helping her while trying to meet your goals. If she is a good friend she will appreciate your honest, direct approach. You also might drag out a calendar and say something like, "I can help one/two/or whatever time(s) this week, when do you need the help the most? You have the right to manage your time as much as any working mom. It is after all, your life! It is very hard to take charge of your time when you are a stay-at-home mom. However, if you master it, you will find great peace. I have finally trained my family and friends to respect my time. The way I have done this is by communicating exactly when I am available and not available to them. Good luck to you! You can do this! Keep us posted on your progress.
                              More than anything I think we need a reason that really makes us want to do it. Usually I don't see people sticking with it who run to lose weight or because they think it's good for their health. The primary motivation for me is racing. Running is my sport just the same as golf, bowling or tennis are for some people. If I want to do well I have to practice. I don't think it's any accident that the people who run the most are those who race. When people ask me how to get in shape I always tell them to find an activity that the really enjoy doing. If you have to force yourself it probably isn't the right one.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Everyone has given you great advice! I feel as if I'm "on-call" a lot, too, especially since my three kids are all in sports, and DH needs me for our home-based business. But as everybody has said, my runs are FIRST on my schedule - I know on Sunday exactly when I will be running that week. I had to drop out of a weekly small group for women at my church because it was interfering with my running. They keep asking me to come back, but I can't do it! I've decided I AM going to be "selfish" in this area, and that's that. Good luck! I know how challenging it is, but it's worth it.