Running or bikeing (Read 1468 times)

I guess this is the best place to ask this?". My sister and law have had this friendly argument for a few years. I say

running is better for fitness and she says bikeing is, my brother will not get involved he does both, says we can figure it out. My other brother who does neither says he would bike instead of run because its easier witch I got a kick out of and she just looked at us LOL. I told her if we both go up a hill I still have to keep moveing to get down the other side while

she can just coast. This pretty good lite arguments and fun, but now she says she is going to find scientific evidence to

prove me wrong and has a friend who has a masters in exercise that will prove it to me, so what do you think running

or bikeing for best fitness.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's a waste-of-time argument.  Doing what one enjoys most is best for fitness, since that's what's going to keep a person doing it more often and long-term.  If that's running or biking or swimming or martial arts or XC skiing or weight lifting or some combo of the above, then it's what's best for an individual's fitness.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Define "fitness".

I think it's a stupid argument too. I think if one wanted to be fit, they wouldn't do just biking or running. They'd mix it up with a variety of activities, some intense, some not-so-intense.  Something like a kid does on a play ground.  Some climbing, jumping, sprinting jogging, pulling, pushing,etc.

Looking back I was more "fit' when in the middle of wrestling season than running season. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Looking back I was more "fit' when in the middle of wrestling season than running season. 

I was far more fit overall during cheerleading thanI was during track season.  For the reasons you mention above...variety of pace, lifting, jumping, gymnastics...I used a much wider variety of muscles + cardio.

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

If one is to be completely honest, some mix of sports using completely different muscle groups is probably best for overall fitness.  Running and biking are great, but neither does a lot to strengthen the back or upper body.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Wow fast replys, I would not say its a waste of time time or or stupid argument, like a say its friendly all in fun just giveing each other a hard time. I do not know about defineing fitness we never went that far,  I was more fit in my younger

days to, but up intil I was 50 I was still playing full court b-ball and the reason was because of running I could do that, I still play a little ball whan have the chance,I guess fitness for me is knowing I can still do things and not worry about not

keeping up with younger people? like I said really can not define it but sure like the feeling of being in shape. This

argument is in fun just looking for some ammo.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

xor

Please drop the e when adding -ing.  You are killeing me here.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Cycling. They have higher VO2 maxes. And they can go further. And faster.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cycling. They have higher VO2 maxes. And they can go further. And faster.

aaaaahh but is faster and farther really better?

White Rabbit

Please drop the e when adding -ing.  You are killeing me here.

"being"?

bing?

I've heard (and I beleive it because I do both) that cycling benefits running, running does not benefit cycling (for most). Cycling is more difficult (to me). It uses different muscles and a lot more cardio than running does (depending on how hard you push yourself). I know several cyclist who kick my butt road ridding but have less running ability than I do. Muscle type, background, training, mental ability, who knows? But it's what I've experienced.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

aaaaahh but is faster and farther really better?

Yes.  Wait, what are we talking about...? 

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I do both and find they both have advantages and disadvantages. I find cycling to be gentile on my body and recovery is easier. A good bike ride can equal a couple marathons worth of scenery with hardly the effort of a half. I find running more enjoyable during the winter. For me, running burns fat much better and I get much more fitness for time invested. Running always keeps me fit for a long bike ride but cycling alone won't keep me fit for running. Really, it come's down to what's already been said. Do what you enjoy. From my experience, if you really want to get fit start wrestling. I'll probably never be as fit as when I wrestled. When I wrestled I also ran at least 3 times a week. There you have it. Wresting is better for fitness than running or biking, but that's not what you asked.

I can also offer that, in my experience, running a marathon is harder and takes more preparation and recovery than riding a century.

Feeling the growl again

"being"?

bing?

I've heard (and I beleive it because I do both) that cycling benefits running, running does not benefit cycling (for most). Cycling is more difficult (to me). It uses different muscles and a lot more cardio than running does (depending on how hard you push yourself). I know several cyclist who kick my butt road ridding but have less running ability than I do. Muscle type, background, training, mental ability, who knows? But it's what I've experienced.

Heh.  I hadn't been on my road bike 6 times before I did a couple duathlons, yet I held my own on the bike leg with all but a handful of the leaders.  Then caught most of them on the final run.

Both benefit the other to some degree, but do not replace specialized training for the other sport.  

How hard it is depends how you go about it.  I can cover 50 miles on a bike and not feel like I did much.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

"being"?

bing?

I've heard (and I beleive it because I do both) that cycling benefits running, running does not benefit cycling (for most).

This was very very true for me back in my triathlon days, but that's been 20 years and shit may have changed.

Although, when I spin regularly (I was teaching it for awhile), I do feel mo bettah running.

Bing! Bing!